ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Bullock and Souf Mensah to leave program

dpwhite

All Conference
Jan 21, 2003
Per a Rutgers Press release:

“Matt and Souf have been great representatives of Rutgers Basketball,” said Head Coach Steve Pikiell. “We appreciate very much their contributions to our program. We support their decisions and wish them future success.”

Reactions: Scangg and jrh51
I am sure Mensah is a nice kid, but what pro league would he be able to play in?

you beat me by one minute lmao. Speed demon.

Very happy with this. Salivating at the possible options now that we have space.

I wish them good luck!

Reactions: dpwhite
There's a big difference between things happening ad people making snarky, douche comments, about student-athletes. [cheers]

I get that, but when I stated these guys weren't good enough to warrant a BIG schollie I got shit for it, now that they are gone it seems people are celebrating it.. whats the difference?

I get that, but when I stated these guys weren't good enough to warrant a BIG schollie I got shit for it, now that they are gone it seems people are celebrating it.. whats the difference?
Lots of us said they weren't Big Ten players and we shouldn't have used scholarships on them. You went way over the line in the way you went about it. What do you want, an attaboy?

We have two new spots to fill. Let's wish these guys good luck and move on to talking about ways to fill these spots.

Souf Mensah was as perfect a teammate as you could ask for. He was almost always the first guy off the bench to give handshakes, and he was the guy dapping our players up as they were introduced during the B1G tournament. He speaks four or five languages which surely helped with how many players from different countries we had this year.

Matt Bullock has some obvious skill and came to the program when it was just about at its lowest point. Like Souf he seemed to be a good teammate and represented the university well.

I wish them both nothing but the best in basketball and in life.

It's how and when things are said my friend. All good just having some fun!

I’m guessing “professional opportunities” does not equal “professional basketball opportunities.”

Sorry, haven’t read all previous posts.

Souf Mensah was as perfect a teammate as you could ask for. He was almost always the first guy off the bench to give handshakes, and he was the guy dapping our players up as they were introduced during the B1G tournament. He speaks four or five languages which surely helped with how many players from different countries we had this year.

Matt Bullock has some obvious skill and came to the program when it was just about at its lowest point. Like Souf he seemed to be a good teammate and represented the university well.

I wish them both nothing but the best in basketball and in life.

+100 ..Well said.

Good luck to them both in whatever they are looking to do...

Reactions: ChasRC69
I don't know what Mensah's basketball background is, but I have to say that he actually did improve during the course of the season. First month or two all he was doing was fouling and turning the ball over. He never developed any sort of offensive game at all but at least he was a passable defender by the end. Maybe there's a European country with a low division that he could find a home with.

Good luck to both. They didn't play much, but accepted their role and apparently were good teammates. From the little we saw of Bullock, he has some skills. If he goes on a conditioning program during his year off, he would be a contributor. Be interesting to see where he lands. Not sure what happens to Mensah. There are a zillion guards, worldwide, who want to play professionally. Now if he were 6'8'---
TL

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think that if Matt gets in shape and steps down a bit (say, Saint Peter’s, for example) where he’s not always up against trees, he has an excellent career.

Against a lot of guys who may have just a couple of inches on him and aren’t extremely long, he’s a very effective offensive player—highly aggressive, can create and play through contact to finish.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Per a Rutgers Press release:

“Matt and Souf have been great representatives of Rutgers Basketball,” said Head Coach Steve Pikiell. “We appreciate very much their contributions to our program. We support their decisions and wish them future success.”

move that had to happen...kudos to all involved. Thank you for Matt and Souf for your time here and best of luck in the future

Corey comes back, Tai Strickland comes in and we land a quality grad transfer wing and this team is dancing

I am one of the most optimistic fans of the program that you’ll ever meet but keep in mind Nebraska was 13-5 in conference and didn’t get in. we had 3 wins. Corey back is a big boost but that’s an enormous jump for a team who hasn’t been able to win a road conference game.

I think Corey being back is huge for progress but I’m not so sure we are Strickland and a transfer wing away from dancing. I hope so much that I’m wrong.

On one hand I hope that they were not forced out and with hard feelings.

Yet As a basketball fan I like the space opening up for better players.

Reactions: RUnTeX and gregkoko
SOOOOOO now the topic comes.... with Souf/Bullock gone.... who outside Strickland do we have a shot at?

Reactions: Scangg
SOOOOOO now the topic comes.... with Souf/Bullock gone.... who outside Strickland do we have a shot at?

It could get a little deeper.....
1. I am always a fan of HS 4 year players, but it is March 23rd...who is left on the board?
2. Grad transfers....really don't like this. Realisticly player not coming to play in NCAAs. Will a player come here to be a backup? Don't want a guy solely looking for numbers for a professional career (see JJ Moore)
3. Transfers...we are EARLY in the game here. Get a zero in '18-'19, but zero could be better than a 4 year player that may not be good enough to be a rotation player. I see why the Kiss thing happened. i wasn't happy with ZEROES this year, but.... SEE #1 and #2
4. Leave the spot open (throw Nathan a 1 year bone?)

Reactions: MV9000
ADVERTISEMENT