ADVERTISEMENT

Football Max Melton & Chris Long Suspended

Greg Schiano statement: "I was informed that Chris Long and Malachi Melton were taken into police custody early this morning as a result of an incident involving a paint ball gun. Both players have been suspended immediately."

With a paintball gun ?? Cmon guys . This isn’t good. Hopefully , this can get swept under the rug and these guys get reinstated soon .

Long and Melton were both charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, according to municipal court records. In a statement announcing the suspensions, Greg Schiano said the players were involved in "an incident involving a paintball gun."

obviously this is not good. Hopefully Rene is ready. Otherwise, next man up.

Long and Melton were both charged with aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose, according to municipal court records. In a statement announcing the suspensions, Greg Schiano said the players were involved in "an incident involving a paintball gun."

OK a couple of things about that. NJ is ridiculous in it's hatred for guns. So much so that airsoft and paintball guns - neither of which are deadly weapons - are called weapons. It's the height of stupidity. That said the law needs to be followed and these two screwed up - even though that law is unjust and silly when applied to toys that aren't weapons.

They might be done for the year just due to the anti-gun hysteria of NJ.

Sucks. Max was looking to have a great future here.

Just trying to keep priorities straight here . Innocent until proven guilty . Hopefully, they get back to playing soon

I fear they won't be around until this goes through the courts which in NJ LOVE to twist the knife on "gun" crimes.

OK a couple of things about that. NJ is ridiculous in it's hatred for guns. So much so that airsoft and paintball guns - neither of which are deadly weapons - are called weapons. It's the height of stupidity. That said the law needs to be followed and these two screwed up - even though that law is unjust and silly when applied to toys that aren't weapons.

NJ has sane gun laws. Other states, not so much…

Paint ball incident - sounds like some hijinks that would've been funny 20 years ago, but not so funny in today's world, but it also doesn't sound like something horrible - obviously, we need to wait for more info...
Plus cameras and video everywhere

I don't think they miss the year. Probably one week and I feel like charges will be downgraded because of who they are.

A few years ago I came out of my house in the morning and saw paint balls had blasted my house and car. I was initially worried I’d have to get insurance involved and deal with the hassle of getting the car repainted or whatever. Then I got the garden hose and sprayed it off without a trace of “paint.” Turns out those pellet balls or whatever they are seem to be the equivalent of sugar water. Hopefully that’s what Max and Chris did, or something similarly harmless.

Reactions: RUScrew85

Aggravated assault is pretty serious and paintball guns, while not "deadly" can cause serious injury, especially to the eyes.

https://rosenblumlaw.com/our-services/criminal-defense/assault/aggravated-assault-in-new-jersey/

Right? In any world where reaching out a car window to pinch girl's butts is considered acceptable behavior, I'd provide my daughter with a machete.
Definitely more effective than locking someone up.

Reactions: mildone
I don't think they miss the year. Probably one week and I feel like charges will be downgraded because of who they are.
We shall see...

The optics alone - Rutgers football players, weapon, Agg Assault. That doesn't sweep too easy without someone in the media screaming "special treatment" for Rutgers Football.

NJ lives to F with gun owners. As far as NJ is concerned the might as well used a real gun. Most of us would get the same treatment. I think Agg Assault is a Felony and possession of a weapon, specifically a firearm, is usually an auto 5 years in the hoosgow for normal folks in NJ.

For some reason Rutgers always seems to “ screw the pooch ”. Big game …Big spotlight…a chance to make a Big statement in a positive way. Max and Chris you have let your team , staff and supporting fans down. Here is hoping you both learn a lesson in life. It is a whole different world we are living in. A world in continuous fluctuation. A world in which something appears small but is now something very big and troubling. Here’s hoping all turns out well for everyone.Especially Mom and Dad Melton.

The charges should never have been brought. Agg Assault with a toy? Not unless they hit someone over the head with it.

Reactions: Plum Street
A few years ago I came out of my house in the morning and saw paint balls had blasted my house and car. I was initially worried I’d have to get insurance involved and deal with the hassle of getting the car repainted or whatever. Then I got the garden hose and sprayed it off without a trace of “paint.” Turns out those pellet balls or whatever they are seem to be the equivalent of sugar water. Hopefully that’s what Max and Chris did, or something similarly harmless.

If they were dangerous folks wouldn't be running around the woods shooting them at each other.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT