ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports McElderry hired as head coach

He is a HC that is a proven winner, who has show that he can take teams to the NCAA and can beat Big Ten teams.

This is about a safe bet as you can get,

Any thoughts on why Donnigan failed here? He was successful at St. Louis.

(118-42-23 record and went to the NCAA tournament in seven of his nine seasons as SLU's head coach)

HC History - CHECK

Winning Program - CHECK

Local Guy - CHECK

Connections w/Academies - CHECK

NCAA TOURNAMENT FINAL 8 in last 2 years - CHECK

(RODKIN CENTER - CHECK)...

...all done at FORDHAM With likely 1/10 of the budget and the advantages that he will have in Piscataway.

Top guy on the list of 5, no, but some of you guys are absolutely impossible to please and I have ZERO idea what you were expecting. This program has been down in the dumps for 15 years now and has not been in the league, national program, for about 25 years now. I think you need to realize this and be happy with this tire. This guy hopefully will turn things around. Stop comparing him to other coaches here at the school, or his predecessor, because that doesn’t mean dick shit in the end.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on why Donnigan failed here? He was successful at St. Louis.

(118-42-23 record and went to the NCAA tournament in seven of his nine seasons as SLU's head coach)

Good question. Besides what you mentioned, he did well at Rutgers initially. Then they just fell of the table...

HC History - CHECK

Winning Program - CHECK

Local Guy - CHECK

...all done at FORDHAM With likely 1/10 of the budget and the advantages that he will have in Piscataway.

Top guy on the list of 5, no, but some of you guys are absolutely impossible to please and I have ZERO idea what you were expecting. This program has been down in the dumps for 15 years now and has not been in the league, national program, for about 25 years now. I think you need to realize this and be happy with this tire. This guy hopefully will turn things around. Stop comparing him to other coaches here at the school, or his predecessor, because that doesn’t mean dick shit in the end.
I love your outlook on this. I'm just struggling because I've been able to find such little info on him. Had people tell me he's a good hire, but when I ask for details, the best I've been given is he has German connections that will help here. I agree he's a safe, solid hire who at the least, won't make the program worse. People aren't excited because he's a safe hire though, understandable, but yes, would serve everyone well to get behind him at this point.

HC History - CHECK

Winning Program - CHECK

Local Guy - CHECK

Hope you're right. But you have to be suspicious when a long press release doesn't give the coach's career record. Look, I know that Hobbs' budget for a head coach and new staff is probably well below any other program in the B1G. Until the football revenue comes back and the B1G money is flowing, we have to take our punishment and shop for coaches on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx or get incredibly lucky on a hire or two as Hobbs churns the staffs in the non-rev sports. But as someone who remembers when RU had a solid program, a hire like this stings.

Hope you're right. But you have to be suspicious when a long press release doesn't give the coach's career record. Look, I know that Hobbs' budget for a head coach and new staff is probably well below any other program in the B1G. Until the football revenue comes back and the B1G money is flowing, we have to take our punishment and shop for coaches on the clearance rack at TJ Maxx or get incredibly lucky on a hire or two as Hobbs churns the staffs in the non-rev sports. But as someone who remembers when RU had a solid program, a hire like this stings.

“Stings”?? Wow...And I was in school when we were going to the final four, so trust me I know exactly what this program was like (especially since I was friends with some of those guys) but this comment is way over-the-top. He LITERALLY took Fordham - FORDHAM - to the Elite 8 just TWO YEARS AGO lol!!

Remember it's been 20+ years since we've been considered "elite" and abouty 15 since we were even a consideration. We weren't going out and stealing any great names. Period.

(Capitalizing for effect, not yelling, I promise ha ha Ha)

Last edited:
Reactions: ChasRC69 and TRU2RU
Women's soccer coach should be able to help make inroads into PDA. FC Cops another strong academy in NJ, is centered in Middlesex County.

The opportunities should be there; remains to be seen how we make use of them. If we use foreign players to piece together until we start grabbing NJ talent, I'm good with that.

Women's soccer coach should be able to help make inroads into PDA. FC Cops another strong academy in NJ, is centered in Middlesex County.

The opportunities should be there; remains to be seen how we make use of them. If we use foreign players to piece together until we start grabbing NJ talent, I'm good with that.
Sounds like he already has some decent academy connections. FC Copa isn’t actually an academy though-and is a club known much more for women’s than men’s soccer. The only USSDA academies in NJ are PDA, Cedar Stars Bergen, Cedar Stars Monmouth, and Red Bull. Many clubs will call themselves academies but the ones listed above are the only ones in NJ that are a part of the DA system. Of course, I’m sure he has connections to Cosmos and NYCFC in NY, and it would be good to start drawing from Philly Union.

Sounds like he already has some decent academy connections. FC Copa isn’t actually an academy though-and is a club known much more for women’s than men’s soccer. The only USSDA academies in NJ are PDA, Cedar Stars Bergen, Cedar Stars Monmouth, and Red Bull. Many clubs will call themselves academies but the ones listed above are the only ones in NJ that are a part of the DA system. Of course, I’m sure he has connections to Cosmos and NYCFC in NY, and it would be good to start drawing from Philly Union.

You're right. LOL. My daughter played against COPA, very good, but correct, it is only women.
Though, they might not call themselves an academy, the structure is similar. Regardless, it does atrract talent, just not male recruits.

Nuts. Take note. This interview is “good stuff”-not that weak empty other interview that got posted that you got all bothered about me saying it was mediocre.

Thanks and YES!! How anyone can’t be excited right now is beyond me!! [cheers]

I remember when Donigan was hired, Nuts was crazy about him too and look at what a disaster DD was.
In 16 years at Fordham, McElderry averaged 8 wins a year, that's it.
The Fordham page says 127 wins in 16 years.
I'm not impressed by the hire at all.
He will bring in foreign players for sure initially and I am ok with it.
I just don't want to see that as a long term solution at RU.
It looks like we settled.
People throw the word academy around and think it refers to any official youth organization.
The US Developmental Soccer Academy is comprised of about 80 nationally accredited academies.
They only play each other and do not do tournaments other then a showcase in the spring and fall.
A very high percentage of all the top players in the country play for an US Academy team.
There is a huge difference even within the Academy System between the top and bottom teams.
We need to recruit top players from NYRB, PDA and Phila Union.
Thats the type of player that gets you into the top ten.
Rutgers is an easy place to recruit. Even before the new build, our facilities could match up with just about anyone.
Early on, even Donigan was getting top players from PDA and NY Redbulls.
Brucolleri, Hambleton, Guzmon were top players at PDA
Sa, Corboz, and R Tetro top players at NYRB
Tainter was the best player in Conn and JP Correa was a top NJ commit even though he played for Matchfit.
Donigan had no idea of how he wanted to play, miss used his players and was an extremely lazy recruiter.
McElderry can succeed if he works at it, its not a given but this is an easy place to win.

I remember when Donigan was hired, Nuts was crazy about him too and look at what a disaster DD was.
People throw the word academy around and think it refers to any official youth organization.
The US Developmental Soccer Academy is comprised of about 80 nationally accredited academies.
They only play each other and do not do tournaments other then a showcase in the spring and fall.
A very high percentage of all the top players in the country play for an US Academy team.
There is a huge difference even within the Academy System between the top and bottom teams.
Rutgers is an easy place to recruit. Even before the new build, our facilities could match up with just about anyone.
Tainter was the best player in Conn and JP Correa was a top NJ commit even though he played for Matchfit.
Donigan had no idea of how he wanted to play, miss used his players and was an extremely lazy recruiter.
McElderry can succeed if he works at it, its not a given but this is an easy place to win.
In terms of recruiting and academies, I’d also say that DA academies aren’t some magical breeding ground for top notch recruits. Sure, they tend to have the upper echelon of youth players, but each roster has a range of talent, just as academies will have some variation in quality levels between them. I feel like the reason a coach should have connections to academies is to be able to have a good sense of particular players and how they might fit into a program’s specific system/style of play—not simply to be like, “oh, a PDA or Red Bull player. Gotta get him on the roster.”

Nuts has seemed very honest on here that Donigan is a friend and of course he was excited for his hire, the same as I would have been had one of my friends gotten the job. I believe he's also said that Mc's resume might be better then Donigan's was.
I don't disagree that McElderry's resume isn't jump off the page impressive. He's had good years though. I've had other D1 coaches tell me he's a good hire. I'm sure he'll recruit fine, yes with internationals as part of that, and as long as he establishes a style of play and is consistent, he'll at least get us to respectable. Have to start somewhere.

So his style of play should not be a mystery, with 16 years at Fordham. I've heard him talk about ball possession which would be an improvement but what else should we expect to see?

If being respectable is the goal then I get the hire. I thought we wanted someone who would have us in the Top 25 regularly and the top half of the conference annually. Again, I hope he is the guy but an objective look at the body of work does raise some legitimate questions about the choice.

Will be interested to see what we are paying him. I also think his assistant choices will be important. I would imagine he will have a strong bias to bring his top Fordham assistant here as well unless he is getting the HC job there.

“Stings”?? Wow...And I was in school when we were going to the final four, so trust me I know exactly what this program was like (especially since I was friends with some of those guys) but this comment is way over-the-top. He LITERALLY took Fordham - FORDHAM - to the Elite 8 just TWO YEARS AGO lol!!

Remember it's been 20+ years since we've been considered "elite" and abouty 15 since we were even a consideration. We weren't going out and stealing any great names. Period.

(Capitalizing for effect, not yelling, I promise ha ha Ha)
Cool, he made the Elite 8 in his second decade at Fordham. So, hurry up and order your tickets now for the Elite 8 in 2032.

"I'm not impressed by the hire at all"...yeah, we really struck out hiring a guy who has gone to the NCAA's 3 times in the last 5 years, including a trip to the Elite 8, AT FORDHAM. Very expensive private school in The Bronx, serious lack of facilities, and no soccer history (they had been to the NCAA's all of 1 time prior to McElderry), but YOU"RE "not impressed" lol ...I mean fair enough, you're always welcome to your opinion, you know that, but would ANYONE ever "impress" you"? Somehow I doubt it...

...and stop bringing up DD and me. That's a silly argument OF COURSE I was going to be a fan of the hiring and promote him we've known one another since we were 7-years old (which I've always noted). Played with and against him, in multiple sports, from probably 5th grade right through high school graduation and we're still friends. I also flat-out said early in the 2017 season that if he didn't turn things around by 2018 I fully expected him to be let go. Not an easy thing for me to say. Move along. Thanks. [cheers]

I’m not overly impressed, that’s all
Rutgers should be aiming higher
We are not talking about millions here, why not hire a can’t miss guy?
Masur is older but his resume is what I call impressive . An excellent recruiter, a mellowed Masur could have been a homerun.
Tumelty from Montclair State is a young guy
that got MSU to the NCAAs in his first 6 seasons as head coach. He has won 80 %
of his games in his first 7 years.
Another impressive resume.
Jeff Zaun would have been my dark horse
candidate.
Jeff coaches at NYRedbulls and is an excellent recruiter and hard worker.
I hope the new guy succeeds
I hope they play attractive soccer
I hope that he reaches out to the youth soccer community and generates some excitement

Reactions: zazoo2002
I’m not overly impressed, that’s all
Rutgers should be aiming higher
We are not talking about millions here, why not hire a can’t miss guy?
Masur is older but his resume is what I call impressive . An excellent recruiter, a mellowed Masur could have been a homerun.
Tumelty from Montclair State is a young guy
that got MSU to the NCAAs in his first 6 seasons as head coach. He has won 80 %
of his games in his first 7 years.
Another impressive resume.
Jeff Zaun would have been my dark horse
candidate.
Jeff coaches at NYRedbulls and is an excellent recruiter and hard worker.
I hope the new guy succeeds
I hope they play attractive soccer
I hope that he reaches out to the youth soccer community and generates some excitement

IIRC The issue with Masur is that his teams have not performed as well of late and that he has also had a tremendous amount of transfers recently which, Lord knows, most of you guys here would have a big issue with...He probably would have been the perfect hire eight years ago, however, I don’t think anybody would argue that.

Jeff Zaun is a good guy, no question, Remember him from when I was in school but he has zero head-coaching or recruiting experience, correct?

Don’t know much about the guy from Montclair State but there’s got to be a reason he wasn’t interviewed because it seems like he has an excellent resume.

I just think it’s time to see what McElderry can do. He’s in a great situation. Only way to go is up. If he brings a distinctive and exciting brand of quality play to the banks then the dividends will be high. Each win will bring excitement and should build inertia to help recruiting. Very interested to see his personnel decisions and any transfers/recruits he will bring. He’s got energy and vision which have both been sorely lacking previously, so let’s see what’s up.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
I just think it’s time to see what McElderry can do. He’s in a great situation. Only way to go is up. If he brings a distinctive and exciting brand of quality play to the banks then the dividends will be high. Each win will bring excitement and should build inertia to help recruiting. Very interested to see his personnel decisions and any transfers/recruits he will bring. He’s got energy and vision which have both been sorely lacking previously, so let’s see what’s up.
Agreed.

Rutgers leads the B1G in inertia. Hopefully, a new coach will be creating momentum ...

Anyways, the subsequent news about Hobbs butchering the swim coach situation to the tune of $775,000 might explain the hire. That’s an awfully big hit to the budget of the non-rev sports. It is what it is.

We have no choice but to see what happens.
He’ll be ok until he is or isn’t
Then we will be happy or looking for another guy
Didn’t expect the administration to give it that much thought anyway
It’s not a priority

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Not sure what it means but I had dinner with 2 of my buddies who played professionally and now both coach in the MLS. Neither had heard of him. Both think Rutgers is a huge job.

It is a huge job and I hope we didn't go on the cheap again because all you would have needed to get a top top coach is probably another $100,000 and to me if they cannot find that in the budget with all they throw around on football than that's BS; Lets hope and pray that McElderray brings us back because we should be a national contender every year!!

Reactions: LC-88
Not sure what it means but I had dinner with 2 of my buddies who played professionally and now both coach in the MLS. Neither had heard of him. Both think Rutgers is a huge job.
I’m not sure what that means either. It doesn’t seem to be a given that most MLS coaches would be particularly knowledgeable about college soccer programs. NCAA is increasingly irrelevant to MLS—maybe less than 3-5%of rosters have US college players I think:

http://m.startribune.com/as-mls-soc...nt-where-does-u-s-college-game-fit/476428883/

It’s another topic really, but an interesting one to consider—the divergence between the USSDA/MLS pipeline and the very active tracking of top youth players to college programs, and the way that the USSDA/MLS track really breaks down for US born players once they hit 18-21 and the MLS teams are stacking rosters with central and South American players. So to your point, I don’t think it necessarily means much—and I’m not saying that to defend McElderry’s rep. Just more of a systemic observation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT