ADVERTISEMENT

Medical School (Research) rankings US News 2021

Panthergrowl13

All Conference
Nov 11, 2002
US News (Americas Best Graduate Schools 2021) Medical School (Research) rankings Local,B1G,ACC comparison.

3 University of Pennsylvania
4 New York University
6 Columbia University
12 Duke University
14 University of Pittsburgh
15 University of Michigan
17 University of Chicago
18 Northwestern University
23 University of North Carolina
27 University of Wisconsin
29 University of Virginia
34 Ohio State University (tie)
34 University of Iowa (tie)
34 University of Maryland (tie)
40 University of Minnesota
47 Indiana University (Added per poster Tex)
50 University of Miami
52 Wake Forest University
55 University of Illinois
62 University of Nebraska
66 Temple University
70 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School-Newark
74 Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-NB
78 University of Louisville
81 Virginia Tech
91 Drexel University
94-122 Florida State University
94-122 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

Covid 19 Vaccine Development at Pitt:

The University of Pittsburgh Center for Vaccine Research has partnered with the Pasteur Institute (France) and Themis Bio (Austria) to develop and produce a Covid 19 Vaccine.
This Corona Vaccine will be a modified measles vaccine (standard measles with a single Covid 19 protein) to produce an immune response. If successful Themis will produce the Vaccine for Clinical Trials. Clinical trials are hoping to begin in June based upon approval.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical School has also developed their own Covid 19 Vaccine called PittCoVacc which uses a new micro needle technology delivery system. Pitt has applied for FDA approval and will begin Clinical Trials once approval is received.

Numerous stories on Pitt Vaccine Development have recently been published and can be accessed on the internet if interested.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: rutino
Growl, I keep hearing it is at least 12 months until a vaccine is out there on a wide scale. Let’s pray it isn’t that long, no matter what company/school it comes from. We have lost a lot of people here in New Jersey. Hope it is not as bad in western Pennsylvania. You and your family-best of health.

Growl, I keep hearing it is at least 12 months until a vaccine is out there on a wide scale. Let’s pray it isn’t that long, no matter what company/school it comes from. We have lost a lot of people here in New Jersey. Hope it is not as bad in western Pennsylvania. You and your family-best of health.

Some medical experts say that a vaccine could be out a little faster but I think the 1st quarter of 2021 is probably more accurate. Also don't care which vaccine works as long as its effective and safe. Need this to return to normal.

I am also waiting for the TREATMENT studies to be concluded to ascertain which is the most effective. Having that NOW will help alleviate some fear and anxiety.

Also, what is urgently needed is to ramp up TESTING (pre and post covid 19) so everyone can get checked quickly in order to open up to the new normal.

Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) is doing better than Eastern Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) as to number of Covid 19 cases. Also we have adequate Health Care facilities (Hospitals) in place (UPMC, AGH and Excela) to deal with the numbers.

Also have to complement NJ Gov. Murphy and NY Gov Cuomo who have really stepped up to handle such a dire emergency. Demonstrated leadership and courage in the face of such adversity.

Stay safe

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
US News (Americas Best Graduate Schools 2021) Medical School (Research) rankings Local,B1G,ACC comparison.

3 University of Pennsylvania
4 New York University
6 Columbia University
12 Duke University
14 University of Pittsburgh
15 University of Michigan
17 University of Chicago
18 Northwestern University
23 University of North Carolina
27 University of Wisconsin
29 University of Virginia
34 Ohio State University (tie)
34 University of Iowa (tie)
34 University of Maryland (tie)
40 University of Minnesota
50 University of Miami
52 Wake Forest University
55 University of Illinois
62 University of Nebraska
66 Temple University
70 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School-Newark
74 Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-NB
78 University of Louisville
81 Virginia Tech
91 Drexel University
94-122 Florida State University
94-122 Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

Covid 19 Vaccine Development at Pitt:

The University of Pittsburgh Center for Vaccine Research has partnered with the Pasteur Institute (France) and Themis (Austria) to develop and produce a Covid 19 Vaccine.
This Corona Vaccine will be a modified measles vaccine (standard measles with a single Covid 19 protein) to produce an immune response. If successful Themis will produce the Vaccine for Clinical Trials. Clinical trials are hoping to begin in June based upon approval.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical School has also developed their own Covid 19 Vaccine called PittCoVacc which uses a new micro needle technology delivery system. Pitt has applied for FDA approval and will begin Clinical Trials once approval is received.

Numerous stories on Pitt Vaccine Development have recently been published and can be accessed on the internet if interested.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
What needs to be done to improve the ranking for Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-NB as 74 seems low?

I could not say for sure but US News did publish the criteria used for evaluating Research Medical Schools (Methodology: 2021 Best Medical Rankings).

The Medical Research model is based on 8 indicators such as student selectivity (MCAT,GPA, Acceptance Rate), Research Activity including Total NIH Research activity, average NIH funding per faculty member among others. The methodology section describes the specifics.

I read on your board that Rutgers was considering combining both medical schools under the Rutgers administration. Not sure such how this would impact future rankings. Total research activity would be then be listed as one entity rather than broken up between the 2 schools I suppose.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

According to the articles about the proposed merger of the two medical schools (which are already headed by a single dean), this step is expected to significantly improve the ranking, as well as result in improved efficiency and effectiveness.

According to the articles about the proposed merger of the two medical schools (which are already headed by a single dean), this step is expected to significantly improve the ranking, as well as result in improved efficiency and effectiveness.

That's what they said about the merger of the two law schools. It hasn't happened. Maybe some day it will, but I'm not holding my breath.

These are not comparable. As a previous poster pointed out, one criterion of medical school rankings is the amount of NIH and other grants that the schools bring in for research. When combined, Newark and New Brunswick medical schools total quite a bit. Law schools do not generate that scale of research income, either separately or combined.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Indiana Univ is missing in OP list....#47

Interesting to see that a med school as new as Virginia Tech-Carilion is already into the top 100 at #81 for Research programs (though only #94-122 for Primary Care programs). It's only been 10 years since formation and earned its accreditation in the last few years.

Wondering how quickly UT-Austin's new med school, currently unranked, will climb at the expense of some others more established. Locally, SHU-Hackensack Meridian is also very new and is currently unranked.

What needs to be done to improve the ranking for Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-NB as 74 seems low?

I have my doubts about how much better a combined Rutgers med school will reflect in the rankings, whether in the Research ranking or Primary Care ranking. Perhaps as the UMDNJ legacy sheds over time and RBHS continues to build itself up, there may be an opportunity to see some improvement. Would be nice to see the dean set dual Top 50 rankings as a goal for a combined med school. Btw, for the latter ranking, RWJMS is #75 while NJMS falls to #94-122. Not sure why RWJ is practically equal for both rankings but NJ is about 25 spots different.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
If I'm not mistaken they're building a massive research center in the new Cancer Center being built at RWJ-NB. This should help a lot with research funding.

Hey there! You know I am grateful to you for all you've done and still do for us. You are the best. Thank you so much. I am studying right now and in three years I should become a doctor like I always wanted to be. This was my childhood dream and I think that there are others who also think about starting a medical career path. If I am right then I have a great novelty for you. All you must do in order to start your education in the medical field is just to access the following site: exploremedicalcareers.com. I hope this information will be helpful for you and you will become great doctors.

Last edited:
Some med schools are now building student housing at the hospital or within reasonable walking distance. Don’t know if RWJ and RU has any plans to do that on a large scale in New Brunswick. I think there is a limited amount in Newark. You would think most med students would go for that if the price is reasonable.

Breaking News:

PITT/UPMC discover monoclonal antibody that can neutralize Covid 19 virus.

The monoclonal antibody is called (Ab8). Information on the recent discovery was published in CELL.

Ab8 is extremely potent, small and safe.

It has the potential to treat patents that have Covid 19 as well as a therapeutic to prevent Covid 19.

Having said the above Ab8 will have to go through Clinical Trials (requires FDA approval) hopefully in early 2021.

PITT/UPMC just concluded a press conference on this subject.

For anyone interested it is now being reported on multiple internet sites (also published in the New York Post).

Sounds promising but will have to go through extensive testing for effectiveness and safety.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
I could not say for sure but US News did publish the criteria used for evaluating Research Medical Schools (Methodology: 2021 Best Medical Rankings).

The Medical Research model is based on 8 indicators such as student selectivity (MCAT,GPA, Acceptance Rate), Research Activity including Total NIH Research activity, average NIH funding per faculty member among others. The methodology section describes the specifics.

I read on your board that Rutgers was considering combining both medical schools under the Rutgers administration. Not sure such how this would impact future rankings. Total research activity would be then be listed as one entity rather than broken up between the 2 schools I suppose.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Hey Pitt guy.. the Newark school was once part of Rutgers... having been absorbed some time prior.. but strangely, as part of the deal to officially become the flagship State U, they made Rutgers spin off the medical school.

It is hard to keep track of what is done where.. but I would say the New Brunswick hospital system is more and more integrated with Rutgers sciences in New Brunswick area... and it is a great hospital. But to get better.. or really, to be perceived as being better.. you climb in the rankings in whatever way you can.. then you get more attention, more research dollars.. and you can better EARN your rankings.

Moved to Pittsburgh and it’s basically a healthcare city so not surprised how high Pitt punches on that list. You can’t drive 10 minutes without seeing UPMC on some building or some large hospital or outpatient facility.

Moved to Pittsburgh and it’s basically a healthcare city so not surprised how high Pitt punches on that list. You can’t drive 10 minutes without seeing UPMC on some building or some large hospital or outpatient facility.

Welcome to Pittsburgh. Not sure if you're a recent arrival but I have always loved Western Pennsylvania in the Fall.

Aside from going to Heinz Field for a Steelers or Pitt Football Game (unfortunately no fans in the stands this year), there are also two fall destinations that I try to make every year.

For fall foliage, a trip to the small town of Ligonier pa. (about 50 miles east of Pittsburgh) is always a must for me. They have an event called Fort Ligonier Days which always occurs around mid October (anniversary of a pre revolutionary battle 1758 involving French/British/Indian forces). The 3 day weekend event will bring in about 150,000 visitors each year to the Fort and quaint town of Ligonier for Arts, Crafts, food and entertainment. Unfortunately due to Covid 19, Fort Ligonier Days has been cancelled this year.

Another great fall/winter trip would be to Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Champion Pa. (about 60 miles east of Pittsburgh). In the fall they have a Harvest Festival in which they have Arts/Crafts/food/hiking/ski lifts running etc. (not sure how Covid 19 has impacted this event).

If you have any interest, just google Ligonier, Fort Ligonier Days, and Seven Springs Mountain Resort for much more information.

I think Pittsburgh is a great friendly city but I am biased.

Stay Safe my friend.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Pitt guy.. the Newark school was once part of Rutgers... having been absorbed some time prior.. but strangely, as part of the deal to officially become the flagship State U, they made Rutgers spin off the medical school.

It is hard to keep track of what is done where.. but I would say the New Brunswick hospital system is more and more integrated with Rutgers sciences in New Brunswick area... and it is a great hospital. But to get better.. or really, to be perceived as being better.. you climb in the rankings in whatever way you can.. then you get more attention, more research dollars.. and you can better EARN your rankings.

I think Rutgers is well on it way to becoming an outstanding Academic and Health Systems provider (Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences-RBHS). Rutgers is a Big Ten University and as such needed to again get the Medical School and affiliated Hospitals under the Rutgers umbrella. Rutgers already had great Health Sciences programs (Pharmacy etc) and needed the other missing pieces.

I was recently reading about RWJ Barnabas Health, Rutgers Cancer Institute announcement of a $750 million Cancer Pavillon and Rutgers Horizon BCBS creating a Medical Research Partnership.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT