ADVERTISEMENT

Melton

Joey Bacala

All Conference
Aug 12, 2005
on what f’in planet was this kid a 4 star recruit? He is a complete non-entity on this team. He is barely even targeted. Looked like Lewis and Jones got the most targets today.

Now that I think about it let’s add Clark to that. This is Rutgers math:

2 * 4 stars = ZERO impact.

So much for keeping the best NJ players home. Maybe the other P5 schools saw thru the stars.

Looks like our team is only 9 strong. Ash found a way to Eliminate the wide receiver position. Have we had a single player with 100 receiving yards in a game since Ash was hired

Reactions: TonyVolt
heres a real thought,maybe the wide receiver coaches Ash has played musical chairs with,like the defensive line coaches he has brought in,are NOT good and the WR kids are not developing..??
look at the staff also before bashing the kids.

Or depth is so thin there are a few upper class options in the school positions are mostly freshman and sophomore’s.

I don’t think Melton’s a flame out at all. He was not targeted once yesterday, I honestly don’t remember ever seeing him on the field. He did fine in the Tx State game.

For whatever reason yesterday we limited our offense to Blackshear, Washington and Jones. I have no idea why McNulty went so one dimensional yesterday. Piss poor coaching all around.

Reactions: OldManRiver
I don’t think Melton’s a flame out at all. He was not targeted once yesterday, I honestly don’t remember ever seeing him on the field. He did fine in the Tx State game.

For whatever reason yesterday we limited our offense to Blackshear, Washington and Jones. I have no idea why McNulty went so one dimensional yesterday. Piss poor coaching all around.

That...and inaccurate QB throws...throws were either short (for picks) or overthrown...never right into a receivers hands in stride...don't know if that will change in time...but, hope it does

Melton has no confidence and serious performance anxiety. Watch him closely when he plays. When he sees the ball cominng at him he tenses up. Even the ones he catches he double takes.

As someone who was terrible at sports, I know the exact feeling. The coaches need to get him out of this funk.

Our defense looked really slow yesterday.
We managed to put them in 3rd and long a lot, but we kept giving up the first down on passes.either just past the sticks or short with a lot of room to run for it. I don't blame the players.

Every 3rd down we went with the 2 or 3 man rush and soft coverage. Pressure put them in 3rd and long. Why did we keep going soft on 3rd?Neither of their QB 's were hitting their receivers when they had some pressure in their face. They were overthrowing guys when our pressure was visible even when sacks or hits were unlikely. It wasn't like they were hot QB's that could pick us apart.

Kansas may have beaten us anyway, but the game day coaching made this a lot worse.

I was wondering why we didn't blitz more as well. Their QB looked like he could be rattled if he had some pressure.

He had two catches for 7 yards...I believe you have to be targeted to have two catches...

I was wondering why we didn't blitz more as well. Their QB looked like he could be rattled if he had some pressure.

Because the coaches don’t have any creativity. They were worried about their running back getting 50 yards per carry, so they barely put any pressure on them, and tried to minimize their run game. Didn’t work.

on what f’in planet was this kid a 4 star recruit? He is a complete non-entity on this team. He is barely even targeted. Looked like Lewis and Jones got the most targets today.
All of the freshman should have redshirted last year as well as this year. We aren’t winning give them a year in the weight room and learning the system. Why throw away a year of eligibility on a two to three win team.

Melton has no confidence and serious performance anxiety. Watch him closely when he plays. When he sees the ball cominng at him he tenses up. Even the ones he catches he double takes.

As someone who was terrible at sports, I know the exact feeling. The coaches need to get him out of this funk.

I actually agree with this. He should’ve broken a huge Play on the end around, against Ohio State, when an OSU defender already on the ground got him by the shoestring instead of jumping right over him, then two plays later he stood there and watch the punt returner run right by him without doing a thing. It’s like he’s afraid out there I don’t get it.

The top schools have 4* players that flame out all the time. The problem is when you only get two in three years of recruiting, the fact that they don’t excel really stands out.

Bingo. We have a Winner !
When Ash only pulls in 2 Top 10 NJ players in 3 years it spells disaster.
Need more NJ talent.

Reactions: Jabanero
I said Carroo and Kroft would have no chance at the NFL if they played for Ash in 2016 and was told how wrong I was. 2018 nothing’s changed

The top schools have 4* players that flame out all the time. The problem is when you only get two in three years of recruiting, the fact that they don’t excel really stands out.

It’s not even about stars.

Sanu wasn’t a 4 star, Mark Harrison wasn’t a 4 star, Quron Pratt wasn’t a 4 star, Underwood was a 2 star. They all could play against anyone. Ash recruited like SEVEN wide receivers in two years, and not one of them is capable of making a 20 yard play. Out of pure probability one of them should have stepped up.

Reactions: BaseballFan913
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT