ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Men’s Soccer adds two assistants

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers men's soccer head coach Jim McElderry has announced two members of his staff, welcoming Gavin Wyse and returning Tyler Stakiwicz "To The Banks".

Wyse, who will serve as associate head coach, spent nine seasons with McElderry on the Fordham staff helping the Rams to three NCAA Tournament appearances as well as two Atlantic 10 championship titles. He was named one of the country's top assistants by College Soccer News in 2017.

"I am very happy to have Gavin come with me as my associate head coach at Rutgers," said McElderry. "Gavin has a great ability to connect with people, build relationships and because of this, he is an excellent recruiter. Gavin and I work very well together on the recruiting front, but also on the way we want to have the team to look on the field, in the classroom, in training and overall competitiveness of the team. We are lucky to have Gavin and his own family join the Rutgers family. He and I will work towards the common goal of making Rutgers one of the top programs in the country."

During his tenure, Wyse was a part of the Rams' run to the NCAA Tournament quarterfinals in 2017 with the squad ranking as high as No. 11 in the United Soccer Coaches Poll. Fordham concluded the year with a school-record 14 wins, which included tournament victories over St. Francis Brooklyn, No. 11 seed Virginia and a shootout win over No. 6 seeded Duke, before falling to No. 3 North Carolina. Under his guidance, eight individuals picked up postseason honors including five all-region selections from United Soccer Coaches, eight from the Atlantic 10 and two from the ECAC.

Also while on the sidelines with Fordham, the Rams captured the 2016 Atlantic 10 Championship featuring a roster with three NSCAA All-Region honorees and six Atlantic 10 selections, as well as the 2014 Atlantic 10 title with three Rams picking up All-Atlantic 10 Team awards.

On the recruiting front, Wyse was responsible for bringing seven international footballers to the Bronx campus over the last five seasons who would go on to earn Atlantic 10 All-Rookie Team honors. He has also been vital to the recruiting efforts in the tri state area.

Prior to joining the Fordham staff, Wyse coached with the Storm Soccer Academy serving as an assistant coach with the U15 boys Super Y League team and the Super Y League National Championship U17 boys team. He also has experience with the spring and summer camp and travel teams.

At the club level, Wyse has coached the Little Neck FC's U16-18 boys team and Downtown United Soccer Club (DUSC) U18 boys squad.

Wyse holds professional licenses, including a National B License (2010), the NCAA Advanced National Course (2009) and the NCAA National Course (2007).

A two-year letterwinner at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke, Wyse graduated with a Bachelor's of Science degree in 2002.

He and his wife, Sinead, have two sons, Darragh and Caden.

Tyler Stakiwicz returns after spending the last three seasons "On the Banks" working with the Rutgers goalkeepers, most notably the Scarlet Knights' all-time saves leader and MLS draftee, David Greczek. On the youth level, Stakiwicz serves as the goalkeeper coach with the Players Development Academy, working with the U18, U16 and U14 teams that compete in the USSDA.

"Upon arriving at Rutgers I met with Tyler and spoke to many people in the soccer community about him," said McElderry. "There are only positives about Tyler. And over the past month, Tyler has already shown me the value he can bring to the program with his connections locally and his work rate. He will continue to train our goalkeepers, but will also have a bigger role in recruiting. I am happy he has decided to continue working on the project here at Rutgers. He is and will continue to be a big asset to us as we move forward."

Stakiwicz arrived at Rutgers from his alma mater Montclair State, where he served as an assistant coach, goalkeeper trainer and recruiting coordinator from 2011-25. During his tenure, the Red Hawks extended their streak to 10 consecutive NCAA DIII Tournament appearances, including an appearance in the 2011 national semifinals, and racked up a 91-18-8 overall record and 35-5-4 New Jersey Athletic Conference mark. Montclair State also captured three New Jersey Athletic Association regular season championships and the 2014 tournament championship.

While a member of the Montclair State roster as a goalkeeper from 2006-09, Stakiwicz was a part of four-straight NJAC Championship and NCAA Tournament teams that compiled a record of 77-7-4 during his career.

A native of Delran, New Jersey, Stakiwicz graduated with a degree in English language and literature from Montclair State in 2010 and studied law at the Rutgers School of Law-Newark, earning his Juris Doctorate in 2013.

ADVERTISEMENT