ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Lacrosse Ranked 19th in Initial Poll

Amazing to see Lehigh and Richmond chosen ahead of us. A few years ago casual fans like myself probably didn’t even know those schools fielded lacrosse teams. Lehigh’s chief recruiter is probably a CPA or CFA — it’s NJ athletes are from Chatham, Moorestown, Warren, Salem, Westfield, Mount Laurel, Bernardsville, Ridgewood, and Mendham NJ. Richmond has Rumson and Chatham NJ athletes.

The Richmond and Lehigh kids must not want to play in a top notch lacrosse league like the Big Ten.

Seems low given what Rutgers has added on the transfer side. They will do better than this. Top 10 finish!

Honestly I'd rather see us down here and surprise everyone for once. Less stressful than the last few seasons lol!

Reactions: bigmatt718
Are the FOGO problems solved, and how solid at goal? But with the Kirst transfer it does strike me as low.

Duke, with the Sowers transfer and all, is utterly loaded. A lot of the Ivies lost players to transfer given the higher likelihood of the season cancelled again. It will be a down year for them.

Amazing to see Lehigh and Richmond chosen ahead of us. A few years ago casual fans like myself probably didn’t even know those schools fielded lacrosse teams. Lehigh’s chief recruiter is probably a CPA or CFA — it’s NJ athletes are from Chatham, Moorestown, Warren, Salem, Westfield, Mount Laurel, Bernardsville, Ridgewood, and Mendham NJ. Richmond has Rumson and Chatham NJ athletes.

With Lehigh it's private school prestige and probably kids (and parents) that wanted Ivy. Richmond as a school is on the upswing and this might be one more way they're gain appeal, especially with Northeast kids.

Are the FOGO problems solved, and how solid at goal? But with the Kirst transfer it does strike me as low.

Duke, with the Sowers transfer and all, is utterly loaded. A lot of the Ivies lost players to transfer given the higher likelihood of the season cancelled again. It will be a down year for them.
Better than last year but every other B1G ten program has multiple Fogo’s and we have one and he wore down a little as the season went on. I would be somewhat concerned about the goalie spot as I heard that Kirst did not win the spot outright in the fall. Which means that he is not much better than the goalie from last year? Kirst is a difference maker on offense and make the offense scary, Kim brothers played well in the fall and can certainly help. Add them to AC, Sprock, Mullins, Gallagher, Coyne, Scott and Civetti and it could be an exceptional offense. With an offense this explosive the ranking would have me wondering.
I am Hearing that our bigger issue will be on The defensive side of the ball as a couple of the kids opted out and another is done with an injury.
it appears like everyone is playing for second as Duke appears to be absolutely loaded. I am hearing that you may see Brennan O’Neill play Middie to start this year.

Better than last year but every other B1G ten program has multiple Fogo’s and we have one and he wore down a little as the season went on. I would be somewhat concerned about the goalie spot as I heard that Kirst did not win the spot outright in the fall. Which means that he is not much better than the goalie from last year? Kirst is a difference maker on offense and make the offense scary, Kim brothers played well in the fall and can certainly help. Add them to AC, Sprock, Mullins, Gallagher, Coyne, Scott and Civetti and it could be an exceptional offense. With an offense this explosive the ranking would have me wondering.
I am Hearing that our bigger issue will be on The defensive side of the ball as a couple of the kids opted out and another is done with an injury.
it appears like everyone is playing for second as Duke appears to be absolutely loaded. I am hearing that you may see Brennan O’Neill play Middie to start this year.

Kirst is a difference maker end line to end line.

Reactions: Caliknight
All speculation until we see how things jell (or not)...no guarantees, but I feel it should be better...

Kirst (the midfielder) will be a force multiplier

The FOGO transfer will be equally important and/or the other freshman face off guy from Detroit CC (Barrata)

Leading scorers from last year in 6 games:

Attack

AC 15-7 (22 points)
Mullins 10-10 (20 points)
Gallagher 11-4 (15 points)

Midfield

Sprock 12-5 (17 points)
Kamish 5-1 (6 points) - SSDM

Adding Kirst is gonna help the offense immensely

Hopefully the chemistry works and we have a really nice year

The two transfers that will have a big impact are already pointed out...not sure what you'll see beyond that

Note...I heard Civetti had an exceptional fall

Last edited:
Reactions: asgot

Interesting description of last years face off game. Given the source it's no surprise, but I see a little favoritism towards in the ACC and underrating of the Big 10. Not surprised with the low ratings of the Ivies compared to last year as I called that yesterday.

Interesting description of last years face off game. Given the source it's no surprise, but I see a little favoritism towards in the ACC and underrating of the Big 10. Not surprised with the low ratings of the Ivies compared to last year as I called that yesterday.
Yeah...it's just another poll...just thought I'd share...fact is, if this team gets out to a fast start, wins a few games vs good teams, then they will fly up the rankings...fly. But we will need to see it on the field...count me as one that is fine with the 18-20 range right now...let this team prove itself and build. Early Rankings are what they are...

I'm bullish...I think this team just needed a couple key pieces in a couple key spots...they got that

We have a lot of very nice individual pieces here...but that doesn't mean you win right...if they jell and find a rhythm, who knows

I'm probably not a good person to judge as it's hard for me to be objective...as much as I try 😃

Looking at the conference, I see Maryland way ahead of the pack...then I see PSU, but am curious if the loss of Ament as an adverse impact on what was a fine tuned machine....

After that, I frankly think it's WIDE OPEN...we can play with and beat Hop, and OSU, and I sure as hell hope we are better than UM

The 10 game schedule, if we can keep it on track (limited covid interruptions) will be really fun to observe IMO

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I'd like to think I'm closer to neutral, and I think the addition of Kirst and Mullins returning justified a #15. If I knew for sure there was a 55% FOGO on this team I'd even go up a slot or two.

Reactions: Golfer2019
With as talented a offense as they should have it will be up to the defense.
@Golfer2019 i am hearing that Gallagher may be back at Middie to pair with Kirst and Sprock. With Scott and Civetti possibly splitting time.

Coyne, Kim and Kamish with the 2’s. I know that you said Kamish is at SSDM but I think he is an offensive player.

With as talented a offense as they should have it will be up to the defense.
@Golfer2019 i am hearing that Gallagher may be back at Middie to pair with Kirst and Sprock. With Scott and Civetti possibly splitting time.

Coyne, Kim and Kamish with the 2’s. I know that you said Kamish is at SSDM but I think he is an offensive player.

With the attack situation, you have AC and KM as locks...after that, I really have no clue what will happen, but you have Scott, Gallagher, and Civetti...and some combination of those guys you would expect to see tons of playing time with one of them bumping up to work out of the box at midfield...but again, I have no clue...just speculation

As far as offensive midfield, you have Kirst and Sprock as clear 1's of course...the next two guys would likely be Coyne and Gallagher (if not at attack) and not in any particular order...so that's 4 guys...after that, it's wide open

As far as Kamish, he was moved to SSDM after the first game last year as he was not getting enough run sitting on line 2...he was asked to switch his role because of his athleticism and to help the team. He got better every game and played well on the fly...then the season was cancelled. He is the second leading midfield scorer returning on this team from last year behind Sprock and he is a matchup problem for other teams in transition. His desire is to stick in the defensive room...He still is a very very good distance/stretch shooter...one of the best on the team...but he wants to be on the field, so working in the defensive room gives him that opportunity...

I wouldn't expect to see him specifically running on a set offensive line...unless something drastic happens

Last edited:
With the attack situation, you have AC and KM as locks...after that, I really have no clue what will happen, but you have Scott, Gallagher, and Civetti...and some combination of those guys you would expect to see tons of playing time with one of them bumping up to work out of the box at midfield...but again, I have no clue...just speculation

As far as offensive midfield, you have Kirst and Sprock as clear 1's of course...the next two guys would likely be Coyne and Gallagher (if not at attack) and not in any particular order...so that's 4 guys...after that, it's wide open

As far as Kamish, he was moved to SSDM after the first game last year as he was not getting enough run sitting on line 2...he was asked to switch his role because of his athleticism and to help the team. He got better every game and played well on the fly...then the season was cancelled. He is the second leading midfield scorer returning on this team from last year behind Sprock and he is a matchup problem for other teams in transition. His desire is to stick in the defensive room...He still is a very very good distance/stretch shooter...one of the best on the team...but he wants to be on the field, so working in the defensive room gives him that opportunity...

I wouldn't expect to see him specifically running on a set offensive line...unless something drastic happens
That is an incredibly selfless thing to do as I was told that he was one in the better shooters good for him that he was willing to take a different role to help the team

One other major issue to consider here as we talk about preseason rankings and look to "try" and have a season is that the season itself will be impacted greatly by the covid protocols in place....we will have a number of guys miss very large chunks of the season due to either testing positive...or being close contact traced...and when you think about it, all these guys live together in groups of 3-4-5-6 and hang out....once one person turns a positive (which will happen, has happened), it can wipe out 3-4-5-6 guys from practicing or playing in a game for up to 15-20 days....a month...more

So again, we may feel really good about what we might have with this team...but most games we will be missing maybe multiple guys, guys that contribute...due to very harsh/strict protocols set forth by the big ten...and before you blame the kids...I would suggest you don't go there because that is BS...the kids are following strict behavior patterns, doing what they are asked to do, being very careful and they can still get unlucky and test positive...or worse yet, be close contact traced, feel great, be in elite shape ready to play....and they get sidelined at zero fault of their own...and again, I know for a fact these kids are doing next to nothing outside of practice...like really nothing but sitting around apartments and ordering carry out

And by the way, this is not just an RU issue...it's an everybody issue...all teams will be impacted...the question is, who gets lucky, and what schools, conferences have less restrictive, and frankly more realistic protocols...the athletes are gonna be in a tough spot....it's an odd and unprecedented situation...

Most teams are gonna have guys that miss lots of time...even though they're 18-22 years old and feel great...

We just have to hope for the best...but expect a lot of bumps...and I'm not looking to get into a debate or argue about covid here...don't need or want that on a sports board....I'm simply saying that before people jump to conclusions or bitch when guys are out...just remember they're doing what they're asked to do, want to play, but it's almost impossible to get through a season 100% clean as a team...and our season performance can and probably will be impacted in many cases by covid...and I feel bad for the kids impacted....

Reactions: Caliknight
There's an "it can happen to anybody" factor that will likely come into play and you can't blame the kids. And while it sounds like they're currently diligent, there should be a strict "don't you dare go to a fraternity" rule.

These kids are under a lot of pressure. Playing D1 sports in normal times is pressure packed. Throw in Covid protocols and it gets much tougher. As Golfer said, expect things to be bumpy. That said, we had a very good fall as compared to a number of other programs, some of whom didn't even have a fall. You'd like to think the kids are focused on doing their best to have a season, which they have more than earned.

It's going to be a war of attrition, on and off the field.

There's an "it can happen to anybody" factor that will likely come into play and you can't blame the kids. And while it sounds like they're currently diligent, there should be a strict "don't you dare go to a fraternity" rule.
I agree on your policy:)

These kids are self policing, they all are held accountable...they are not going to big parties, frats, etc...they know the rules, they all want to play....if a kid breaks that rule, then yes, they hold blame...I'm speaking more to the fact that they are all trying to do the right thing...stay in small groups, order out for food, no parties, etc...but, bottom line, you can be very careful and you can still test positive...oh and don't get fooled, some tests are false positive...the staff will have to be very careful not to blame or get pissed at kids that did the right thing...and I'm not talking just Rutgers...I'm talking all schools, all coaches...I've heard at a number of schools kids/athletes have basically quit, not returned to campus because they just don't want to deal with the scrutiny...roster attrition will be high this year and this summer...

Again, the only point of my post is that this year, covid is gonna almost be like an injury...because of the strict rules, kids can not even have a positive test and still be ruled out for multiple games because of a "close contact"...think about that...kid works his ass off, does the right things, is not covid positive...but still can't play....just like covid is a bitch for the real world, it's a bitch trying to mange it through athletics as well

The only reason I brought it up was just to keep an eye on it as it's gonna have an impact on lots of teams...now some teams may be luckier than most...hope that's us :)

Just reading the news...Michigan State hoops...just postponed/cancelled a third straight game...that's the kind of stuff that worries me going forward...

Fingers crossed...but expect some bumps

These kids are under a lot of pressure. Playing D1 sports in normal times is pressure packed. Throw in Covid protocols and it gets much tougher. As Golfer said, expect things to be bumpy. That said, we had a very good fall as compared to a number of other programs, some of whom didn't even have a fall. You'd like to think the kids are focused on doing their best to have a season, which they have more than earned.

It's going to be a war of attrition, on and off the field.
Our fall was exceptional...and that was do to the kids staying tight...I have zero reason to believe they won't even be more diligent...I know they will. But we're gonna have some one offs that will cause some pain and those kids will be fine physically and will have been very careful...and they will still miss time...

I wish they would revisit the policy for these athletes...but I know they won't...so we hope for the best

If fully functioning, I think we have a really nice team here...

ADVERTISEMENT