ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Lacrosse Scrimmage v GTown

I heard that this was a good experience for the team...worth the trip to St Louis...

I'm told we handled Georgetown pretty good thru 3 quarters...then we went with wholesale substitutions. (Which is what scrimmages are for)

Anyway...just thought I'd throw it out there...

The team travels to Toronto this coming weekend for a round robin with UMass and Hobart...I am gonna go to that one...looking forward to seeing whats going on with my own eyes...

I heard that this was a good experience for the team...worth the trip to St Louis...

I'm told we handled Georgetown pretty good thru 3 quarters...then we went with wholesale substitutions. (Which is what scrimmages are for)

Anyway...just thought I'd throw it out there...

The team travels to Toronto this coming weekend for a round robin with UMass and Hobart...I am gonna go to that one...looking forward to seeing whats going on with my own eyes...

Appreciate the updates!

Reactions: Golfer2019
Please send updates. I am very curious.

Sounds like Family was on point. Russo sounded solid in goal. Hopefully he can continue that trend.

#44 continued with his outstanding fall campaign.

15 goals is pretty a good outing. We are missing one of our starting attackman due to injury. He will be full go by the Spring.

The season will all comes down to two things:
1) Faceoffs
2) Replacing Edelmann

But we desperately need someone to win faceoffs consistently. Do that and I think this is the year we get back to the tourney.

Wow, nice final score. I have to send this vid to my cousin. He was an AA for the Hoyas a few years back and later assistant coach for many years.

They final score was actually 15-16, but that was after the benches cleared. Our whole roster played. The takeaway from these games is not much game planning. It's really what does our talent look like vs yours.

1's v 1's, our squad looked really good. You don't take much else away from these games but Gtown is on the come up. They made the tourney last year and have been recruiting very well.

Again, faceoffs and goalie play. Everything else is looking good.

Reactions: Golfer2019
End of 3rd qtr, the score was 14-8 RU(or 14-7)...RU then pulled the attack line and top 4-5 midfielders...to my knowledge we also played 3 goalies...I'm not even sure about the defensive side, but I assume wholesale substitutions were made as well...RU showed very well Saturday night based on a few sources I've talked with...one that has nothing to do with RU, and one that is part of the GTown program...both said RU dominated...

The good thing is we get two more runs on Sunday...

Reactions: TRU2RU
Are we supposed to be better than last year. I know anything can happen, but on paper does it look like we have more talent. I know we lose Max in net. Obviously that’s hurts. Who are some of our talented young guys? Do we have a FOGO? Did AC graduate? I know he’s been here for four years but was only a sophomore eligibility wise last season.

AC is back. He has put in a tremendous amount of work.

Physically he is an absolute beast. Bigger. Stronger. Quicker. People don’t know this but he barely practiced at all last year and still scored near 50 goals.

If he can stay healthy, and I’ve never seen an athlete deserve it more than him, and not to put pressure out there, but he may do something historic.

I think he is exceeding the level he was at before the last injury and those in the know were putting him in the best player in the country talk. His star was that high.

I look at him now and he is entering the unguardable stage. Go watch him people. There isn’t another player like him in the country.

The season will all comes down to two things:
1) Faceoffs
2) Replacing Edelmann

But we desperately need someone to win faceoffs consistently. Do that and I think this is the year we get back to the tourney.
Are we supposed to be better than last year. I know anything can happen, but on paper does it look like we have more talent. I know we lose Max in net. Obviously that’s hurts. Who are some of our talented young guys? Do we have a FOGO? Did AC graduate? I know he’s been here for four years but was only a sophomore eligibility wise last season.
Offensively we could be exceptional, we scored 14 goals and we were missing at least 1 starter on the offense. If we can get the ball, we can put it in the back of the net. Remember that the FOGO OTT is still not healthy but, a person I know said that he thinks that Walker has steadily improved and we also have the JC transfer.

In the goal we seem to have a lot of kids who will be battling over the goalie spot so we will see. I have an idea of the order but I wont put it here as it is only my thoughts.

WE bring just about our entire offense back (except Rose) but we lose Edelman, Pless, Michaeli, and Christiano from the defense. if you watched the scrimmage video the defensive starters were Bullitt, Pakzad and Thompson with Rall at LSM. we have several poles in the junior and sophomore class that will need to step up. I believe that Masessa and Rall will hold down the LSM spot and you may see the Freshman Crosby get some run as well

Christiano is a big loss at short stick. Though he was banged up last year, that kid was one of the best shorties in the game. He rarely if ever got beat.

Hopefully Daninger takes another step and you’d think that the kid from Utah will be a year better after sitting out two years ago on his mission. He might be the best athlete on the team.

Christiano is a big loss at short stick. Though he was banged up last year, that kid was one of the best shorties in the game. He rarely if ever got beat.

Hopefully Daninger takes another step and you’d think that the kid from Utah will be a year better after sitting out two years ago on his mission. He might be the best athlete on the team.
Do . not be surprised to see Daninger playing more offense, you may also see them playing more traditional 2 way middies.

Reactions: Caliknight
Do . not be surprised to see Daninger playing more offense, you may also see them playing more traditional 2 way middies.

He's definitely got some offensive skills. Love the idea of playing 2 way guys. Going at those offensive middies should be a real focus, if we have the guys to do it.

Like what I saw from the freshman Ross from Oregon. He popped on some of the highlights I saw. Kid is super quick.

Reactions: rufamily
He's definitely got some offensive skills. Love the idea of playing 2 way guys. Going at those offensive middies should be a real focus, if we have the guys to do it.

Like what I saw from the freshman Ross from Oregon. He popped on some of the highlights I saw. Kid is super quick.
Kid is lightning quick and reminds me of Gallagher some. With him Stevenson and Schnacte we have 6 solid options at attack. I agree with you about AC I think he has the ability to take his game to a whole other level. With him and Kieran we are going to have a very formidable attack. Our top middies include Kamish, Sprock, Coyne, Meade, Sangunetti, Peterson. That is a solid group of big strong kids. This may be the most talented group of offensive players at Rutgers in a while

Reactions: Caliknight
AC is back. He has put in a tremendous amount of work.

Physically he is an absolute beast. Bigger. Stronger. Quicker. People don’t know this but he barely practiced at all last year and still scored near 50 goals.

If he can stay healthy, and I’ve never seen an athlete deserve it more than him, and not to put pressure out there, but he may do something historic.

I think he is exceeding the level he was at before the last injury and those in the know were putting him in the best player in the country talk. His star was that high.

I look at him now and he is entering the unguardable stage. Go watch him people. There isn’t another player like him in the country.
I hope you’re right. Because I remember seeing that guy from loyola last year, and that was brutal. Straight could not guard that guy

I hope you’re right. Because I remember seeing that guy from loyola last year, and that was brutal. Straight could not guard that guy
He was the best player in college. We didn’t play him well but that kid deserves all the love he got.

Btw. He transferred to Northwestern and is the starting 2 guard on their hoops team.

Let’s hope AC has good health. The lax world and him deserve to see what he is capable of.

Reactions: biazza38
He was the best player in college. We didn’t play him well but that kid deserves all the love he got.

Btw. He transferred to Northwestern and is the starting 2 guard on their hoops team.

Let’s hope AC has good health. The lax world and him deserve to see what he is capable of.
I'm very interested in the kid that's battling right now to take Pat Spencer's place as the third attack at Loyola :Sly:

BTW, I've heard that Spencer is doing very well at NW and as you note, will play a lot...that's talent... to go from being the player of the year in D1 lacrosse, to jumping into the big ten to play hoops...freak athlete...

Some serious heat on our shots. We look big and athletic at midfield. I am excited to watch the team this year.
We've got some guys that can drop the hammer...from distance

Hindsight being 20/20...it's always easy to look back and make some assessments...but the reality last year is there was a lot of change going on...RU had lost some very good players from the year prior...AC was coming back from injury, KM was banged up a good portion of the year, and the biggest factor IMO, was we had new coaches at both coordinator spots...oh and injuries at the FO position and the SSDM really hurt us as well...all facts...

You had a lot of new faces at midfield and it all led to a team (offensively anyway) that had trouble being consistent...you saw flashes, but it never really clicked for multiple weeks in a row...there were a lot of moving parts and new faces and new coaches and IMO, that was a tougher transition than many thought...and by the way, that's not blaming anyone...it's just the reality of many new parts coupled with new coaching...

This year, you return your entire attack group with some very capable back up support as RUFamily noted above...very talented and now, lots of minutes (experience)...that matters

Then you have a very strong and now experienced offensive midfield group that have had a full year under a new system...and they are more comfortable playing together...that makes a big difference...it really does...the midefield as a unit was not good last year...it's fair to say not one guy performed up to expectations...and this year, they started with a clean slate and I think so far, results are trending up for this group...time will tell...we are deep and athletic...

IMO...you will not be successful at this level of you are counting on only one or two guys to carry the load...I think it's important for AC and KM to trust and engage the midfield units to create offensive balance...the really good teams can attack you from all 6 spots and then the defense can't hedge...once this unit (collectively) figures that out and plays with balance, the talent is there and they CAN be very dangerous. AC and KM are very very good and they will get theirs so to speak...the key to the next level is collectively can they be so good that they help elevate all the other guys to the next level...I think the trust is there, I think the confidence will be there and if this team has a balanced attack, they will be very good...

I don't have anything to add about the back end that already hasn't been offered up here by RUFamily...

I'm looking forward to watching them play in Toronto this weekend...I heard they looked very good vs Georgetown last weekend...

Expectations will be high...again. The conference will be very tough...again. I like that we get three home games vs two on the road...

Anyway, I typed way more than I wanted too, but got excited...back to work

Agree with all of that Golfer. Winning at this level is very hard. The margins are razor thin. New D and O coordinators is a massive change in this respect. You could see there was a lot of thinking going on out there instead of playing. I think with a full year in the system we are going to see the reverse of that. I am a big fan of the system. As far as I can tell, if you are an attacking type player, this is a great system for you.

I am a big fan of both additions. We have one of the most experienced staffs out there. I think this year we are going to see the offense really take off. Totally agree about the balance. Truly good teams attack and are dangerous at every level. Guys like AC are going to get a lot more of theirs if the D has to be honest because the middies are going to drop bombs from up top. Vice versa holds true.

I really hope we can stay healthy, especially at key spots. This season is going to be very interesting if we do.

I'm very interested in the kid that's battling right now to take Pat Spencer's place as the third attack at Loyola :Sly:

BTW, I've heard that Spencer is doing very well at NW and as you note, will play a lot...that's talent... to go from being the player of the year in D1 lacrosse, to jumping into the big ten to play hoops...freak athlete...

A good friend coached him at Boys Latin in lacrosse. He didn't make varsity until his until his junior year. Even as a senior he was the 3rd option on their attack line.

He's a case study in not all kids are full developed by the end of their high school careers. We see a lot of those types on the RU team. I can't think of too many kids that didn't leave here a lot better than when they showed up. See AC as an example.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
ADVERTISEMENT