ADVERTISEMENT

Mens Lax vs Stony Brook Anyone there or see game?

njdirt

All Conference
Dec 10, 2005
Had grand kids youth lax practice today just looked at stats and saw that again RU had more shots 34-22. ground balls 34-28, won 20 of 26 face offs but only 4 saves and went 0-2 on extra man ops. For anyone who was there or watched was it the D leaving men open in scoring area again? Any other thoughts? Thanks

Yeah, I wasted another afternoon in HPSS when I could have been walking around the campus. I will try to post something tomorrow. SB scored 13 goals. RU goalies made FOUR saves. The Army game was a mirage I guess. This is a very, v e r y, sad program right now. Not disgusted. Not frustrated. Just sad.

Just watched the replay. Poor shooting, and we give up good looks. Goalie let in a few that he shouldn't have, but you combine those first two things and it is tough to win. Not sure if it is our offense or lack of play making, but everything is a challenge on the offensive end. It is really difficult to get good looks, and we do, we just can't bury them. Saw some plays from seniors you just can't have if you are going to compete. When many of your best players are most freshmen and sophomores, there is a problem.

Exhibit A- With the clock winding down in the quarter, we have possession and the ability to hold for the last shot. After a questionable pass, #5 has a chance to pick up at midfield, does some half ass attempt at a one handed ground ball, misses it completely, Stony Brook picks it up in an unsettled situation, scores in front of the net, quarter over, momentum gone. Game essentially over. Just a horrible IQ play collectively and individually.

Stags was horrible. He didn't even try. Nothing will make me miss that guy.

This computer ranking from LAX Power kind of tells were RU is right now in relation to the other 69 Div 1 teams

link

We are rated #53 out of 69 in this poll. That is horrible. We have had lacrosse for many many years and we seem to lose to almost every mid major we play. Why can't we ever win at least half of our games? Is that asking for too much? Every year we are led to believe we will be good but we haven't had a winning record in many years.

OK, after sleeping on it, I only have a few comments. Can't criticize particular players or even the staff at this point. I now aspire to see RU mired in mediocrity. That would be an improvement over the last couple of week.

1) Losses to teams like Monmouth and Stony Brook might be easier to digest watching in some place smaller than HPSS. With 500-1,000 in there, it's already on the depressing side.
2) Stony Brook had beaten Fairfield by 1 and Marist by 4. Those schools, Monmouth and, yes, Wagner are truly RU's peer group right now regardless of the B1G patches on the unis.
3) I didn't see the Army game, so I have no clue how the D and goalies kept them out of double digits. Must have been the snow.
4) Five games in a row at home. Four looked winnable before the season. The boys go 1-4. Says it all.
5) UDel will be a struggle. NJIT is the only remaining game that should be a W. Looking at 3-12 worst case or 5-10 best case. In Year 4 of the rebuild.
6) RU would be losing every game by 10-12 if it wasn't for Nardella. He was dominant, again, yesterday. When RU inevitably coughs it up and the opponent starts down the field, the "crowd" just assumed that SB would score. The crowd was usually right because SB scored 13 on 22 shots. How can you catch up when you let your opponent go 3-for-3 in the 4th?
7) Lots of heads down on the RU sideline after it got to 10-5. Silence.
8) You can't help but wonder if lax is headed in the direction of men's bball when it gets into the grind of the B1G schedule.
9) Not worth the trip to Hopkins. Don't know if I can stomach an evening against MD. Go to the OSU game and call it a year.

This was my first game of the year and it was rough. I was hoping that Monmouth and Wagner had improved but it appears we took a step back.

Transition offense is bad, transition defense is bad, settled offense is bad, settled defense was bad. Nardella is good.
SB just pulled our defense to one side of the field, had someone cut to the crease and they were open on the door step.
I don't blame the goalie many of these shots weren't savable.

As Cali said we do not get good shots, they are forced with guys on the back foot going away from the goal with no velocity.
Pitch and catch with the goalie. When we drew slides we were not finding open guys for a good look, our off ball movement
was not inspired.

We had more ground balls which I attribute to our face-off crew, I thought SB was outworking us for general run of play loose balls.

Count me in as thinking HPSS is not the place for a lacrosse game. While better than the practice field, I prefer Yurcak.

I am not sure what to think, I thought we would be better at this point.

I read reviews on laxpower.

We have some studs,no doubt...........but getting them to play together is a struggle.

Losses to Monmouth and Stony Brok...two very mediocre teams tell me we will struggle to get even ONE more win.

What is the deal with Aleyne not being in goal...is he injured?

Originally posted by knights1212:

We are rated #53 out of 69 in this poll. That is horrible. We have had lacrosse for many many years and we seem to lose to almost every mid major we play. Why can't we ever win at least half of our games? Is that asking for too much? Every year we are led to believe we will be good but we haven't had a winning record in many years.
We were 8-8 last year.

I keep saying it, but the answer is simple. The teams that we used to beat easily (St. John's, Ohio St., Villanova, etc.) have been steadily building and investing in their programs. Where we were ahead of them 20 years ago, that is no longer the case.

Other schools with no track record have made investments. Starting to think that HPSS isn't great for lacrosse too. It isn't a reason as to why we are losing games against teams like Monmouth, but the venue is just too cavernous for a lax game, plus it sucks watching lacrosse on a field with football lines. We used to play big games in the stadium in the past, but those were one offs when we were good and another good team was coming in.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Originally posted by knights1212:

We were 8-8 last year.

I keep saying it, but the answer is simple. The teams that we used to beat easily (St. John's, Ohio St., Villanova, etc.) have been steadily building and investing in their programs. Where we were ahead of them 20 years ago, that is no longer the case.

Other schools with no track record have made investments. Starting to think that HPSS isn't great for lacrosse too. It isn't a reason as to why we are losing games against teams like Monmouth, but the venue is just too cavernous for a lax game, plus it sucks watching lacrosse on a field with football lines. We used to play big games in the stadium in the past, but those were one offs when we were good and another good team was coming in.
Said this from the get go.

Sick and tired hearing about the grass at Yurcak.

ADVERTISEMENT