ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer 2019 Schedule Out

Does anyone have any update on how team is transitioning under McElderry and how we are doing early on recruiting front? Snowboarder has historically been a good source of info but haven't seen him in a while.

Seven of the 11 out of conference games on the road? Is this unusual?

Perhaps. But the team needs to start from scratch after that moron Donigan ran them into the ground. At least all the games are driving distance.
I don’t understand why “starting from scratch” necessarily includes playing seven of 11 OOC games on the road, especially since it is a mediocre schedule.

Reactions: Local Shill
Perhaps. But the team needs to start from scratch after that moron Donigan ran them into the ground. At least all the games are driving distance.
I don’t understand why “starting from scratch” necessarily includes playing seven of 11 OOC games on the road, especially since it is a mediocre schedule.

I think it’s pretty simple. We suck and are viewed as a down program. Therefore we have no juice or leverage to dictate location. We’re desperate and people know it so if we want to fill our schedule we need to be accommodating. Hence the unbalance of our OOC games.

I think it’s pretty simple. We suck and are viewed as a down program. Therefore we have no juice or leverage to dictate location. We’re desperate and people know it so if we want to fill our schedule we need to be accommodating. Hence the unbalance of our OOC games.
That would make sense with an upscale schedule – – this is watered down schedule.

That would make sense with an upscale schedule – – this is watered down schedule.

Ur missing the point

Ur missing the point
I am not missing the point by any stretch of the imagination. Even basketball in the Littlepaige years could get favorable home/away deals with smaller conference schools. The same with the worst football years. This is the first schedule I’ve seen in any sport where there was such an unfavorable home/away balance with Schools from lesser conferences.

Ur missing the point
I am not missing the point by any stretch of the imagination. Even basketball in the Littlepaige years could get favorable home/away deals with smaller conference schools. The same with the worst football years. This is the first schedule I’ve seen in any sport where there was such an unfavorable home/away balance with Schools from lesser conferences.

Oh but u clearly are. We are in no position to dictate home/away deals. People have ZERO respect for our program right now. So we’re desperate and took what we can get. It’s as simple as that.

Oh but u clearly are. We are in no position to dictate home/away deals. People have ZERO respect for our program right now. So we’re desperate and took what we can get. It’s as simple as that.
I’m sorry, you are missing the point. Football and basketball have been just as low in the respect department for extended periods. Yet they always were able to have the majority of games with teams from lesser conferences at home. They could always leverage their position in a stronger conference notwithstanding the lack of respect for the program itself. You keep repeating without identifying any fundamental difference between this program’s position and the position that the football and basketball teams have held.

Reactions: Local Shill
I’m sorry, you are missing the point. Football and basketball have been just as low in the respect department for extended periods. Yet they always were able to have the majority of games with teams from lesser conferences at home. They could always leverage their position in a stronger conference notwithstanding the lack of respect for the program itself. You keep repeating without identifying any fundamental difference between this program’s position and the position that the football and basketball teams have held.

Football and Soccer cannot be compared. First off the Football program pays a few hundred thousand $$$$ to certain teams to play them at home.

Reactions: richthedentist
Playing at a New Jersey school two feet from Piscataway like Monmouth is one thing, but playing at rinky dink schools like Drexel, Binghamton, Elon, and Hartford does seem strange. Doubt Illinois plays at Chicago State,Eastern Illinois,DePaul,etc. Hopefully this is a one year blip and is changed after 2019. We are in the Big Ten, not the Patriot League.

The football schedule is made 5-7 years in advance at a minimum so ur point makes no sense. As for basketball, a majority of teams outside true blue bloods play weak OOC.

If you have the answer for the imbalance then why don’t you share it?

Well, I’m guessing no one really knows how recruiting is going or how the coach is being received in those circles.

Not sure why a couple of posters are struggling to understand your point. Your question seems on point to me. While the magnitude is different with the major sports the conference pecking order is the same regardless.

We seem to only play Seton Hall in men’s hoops. It’s too bad, because it is local rivalry and they are pretty bad in Olympic sports.
SHU knows RU would kick their asses if we played them in soccer. I'd like to play them every year in baseball personally. They aren't a bad team in baseball.

The guy has been here 6-months. Let’s not bitch about the schedule just yet, okay, lol....

Kinda wondering if he purposely opened with 3 on the road to start things off. Maybe as a character-building kinda thing?

The guy has been here 6-months. Let’s not bitch about the schedule just yet, okay, lol....
I have no idea how locked in this schedule was before he arrived, but if it was his responsibility, I would think one of the first orders would have been to get a manageable schedule, with as many home dates as possible, while the team builds. It seems to me that the higher the percentage of your games against your mediocre opponents on the road, the higher percentage of losses to mediocre opponents you can expect to suffer. Other posters talked about the negative perception of the program. The last thing they need is a competitive disadvantage against lesser conference programs where losses would further undermine the program’s perception. RU has had many programs in both the revenue and the Olympic sports go through periods of negative perception. I have never seen any sport, men’s or women’s, had it result in a schedule like this.

I have no idea how locked in this schedule was before he arrived, but if it was his responsibility, I would think one of the first orders would have been to get a manageable schedule, with as many home dates as possible, while the team builds. It seems to me that the higher the percentage of your games against your mediocre opponents on the road, the higher percentage of losses to mediocre opponents you can expect to suffer. Other posters talked about the negative perception of the program. The last thing they need is a competitive disadvantage against lesser conference programs where losses would further undermine the program’s perception. RU has had many programs in both the revenue and the Olympic sports go through periods of negative perception. I have never seen any sport, men’s or women’s, had it result in a schedule like this.

Disagree. I remember a season that we had 7 road games - Maybe a couple of them actually - in football. We also had to accept 3-for-1’s with PSU and 2/1 with Cuse and Pitt for years. I think you’re worrying way too much about this. The guy is a winner. Let him build it his way.

Of soccer is anything like lacrosse, it’s tough to schedule. The lax staff has done an amazing job building it up. Suspect it’s the same with soccer.

Of soccer is anything like lacrosse, it’s tough to schedule. The lax staff has done an amazing job building it up. Suspect it’s the same with soccer.
Why is it tough to schedule? Is it due to lack of conference teams to fill most of slate?

But is it unusual for us to 7 of 11 OOC games away?

I too find that surprising.

Just for kicks I looked at the Maryland schedule: 5 at home, 3 away and 1 neutral (Washington D.C. against Virginia).

Saw a tweet today, July 31st, that Men's Soccer shared their "2018" schedule, kind of surprised they want to relive that one :) Seriously, the links eventually took me to the 2019 schedule - looking forward very much to the fresh start with our new coach!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT