ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Soccer

bigmatt718

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 11, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Well the men's team lost 4-0 today to NJIT. With a winless season, I think Donigan is a dead man. Anyone have any idea who Hobbs should target for men's soccer coach?

0-11-2 is tough to explain even with the injuries. It's understandable that they might struggle but losing 4-0 to NJIT is an embarrassment of enormous proportions for the states largest university. Rutgers may have the worst Division one program in the state and thats inexcusable. It remains to be seen if your administration cares enough about men's soccer to even do anything about it.

0-11-2 is tough to explain even with the injuries. It's understandable that they might struggle but losing 4-0 to NJIT is an embarrassment of enormous proportions for the states largest university. Rutgers may have the worst Division one program in the state and thats inexcusable. It remains to be seen if your administration cares enough about men's soccer to even do anything about it.
Exactly. Theres an off season due to injuries, and then there's this season. I'm unsure if Hobbs pulls the plug but I don't think anyone will be fighting to keep Donigan here.

The flame under his seat continues get hotter. Would not have thought of him as vulnerable before the season but with results like last night you wonder if he has lost the team. He is certainly not helping his cause. I wonder what his contract situation is. I don't think we pay him more than around 150k per year.

If my research is correct, which I think it is, Dan Donigan is 46-66-13 all time at Rutgers.

Men's soccer was historically one of RU's top sports. If there is any doubt about whether or not Hobbs appreciates that role that it has played here, those of you who have an "in" with the AD should make sure that he understands that. This is a program that has the potential to be a top 10 program year in and year out, which it used to be, and could be once again with the right coach. As a fellow Steinert grad, I had thought that Donigan would be that guy but it doesn't appear to be so. RU should never lose to NJIT in men's soccer, let alone lose by a 4-0 score.

As for possible replacements, the last time around, I recall some discussion of a great Rutgers player (whose name escapes me at the moment - perhaps Dave Masur?) who went on to have a lot of success at St. John's. Is he still there and still doing well? I really haven't kept up with them since we are no longer in the same conference but someone here who follows college soccer more closely will surely know. There may also be some younger, very hungry guys who are head coaches at smaller programs who could do for the program what Reasso did when he was young and hungry. I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.

Pat knows. Socce is a sport he is expecting to do very well in.

I'd like to nominate Zach Thornton, assistant at DC United. He has great relationships at NY Redbulls, knows the game very well, and gets the college game from his coaching time at Villanova.

His career as a player is an added bonus.

Inexcusable. Especially since we had the big ten offensive player of the year. Out of conference schedule at the beginning of the season was moronic too.

We blew it on Masur in the past he would not come here now. I believe he is actually the assistant AD at St. John's also.

ADVERTISEMENT