ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer: Schiano has turned down two chances to become an HC again

How many years were left on his contract after Tampa canned him? He could afford to be choosy, and not have to deal with the headaches of being a HC while they were paying him. If it's not gone this is surely the last year.

Crazy that he would turn down the chance to be considered for the Oregon job. I wonder if he's holding out for a NFL job.

How many years were left on his contract after Tampa canned him? He could afford to be choosy, and not have to deal with the headaches of being a HC while they were paying him. If it's not gone this is surely the last year.
His TB contract ran out at the end of 2016, so he's no longer double-dipping by being OSU's DC.

Funny how the guy keeps getting offers and interviews at multiple big time programs, but yet there a zillion people on this board who think he's terrible and wouldn't want him back at RU. I know, it's beating a dead horse, but it just aggravates me. The guy isn't the best game day coach, but he's good enough. Everything else speaks for itself

Funny how the guy keeps getting offers and interviews at multiple bug programs, but yet there a zillion people on this board who think he's terrible and wouldn't want him back at RU. I know, it's beating a dead horse, but it just aggravates me. The guy isn't the best game day coach, but he's good enough. Everything else speaks for itself

Yes. Who are these zillion people or idiots you speak of?
I think anyone of sound mind and reasoning understands schiano is a pretty solid coaching choice for almost any college football team.

Reactions: Peteyd
I think anyone of sound mind and reasoning understands schiano is a pretty solid coaching choice for almost any college football team.
Not idiots, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There were a ton of posters who didn't want him back when Flood was fired. Thought we could do better.

Of sound mind here. Lovecwhat Greg did for usvand no fuxing way in hell do ivwant him back.
Solid choice for these jobs but for some reason, never the choice.

He will get another shot and most likely a decent program. Just don't want our new journey to be with him

Not idiots, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There were a ton of posters who didn't want him back when Flood was fired. Thought we could do better.

A lot of people bashed Schiano. He's a bad game day coach and never won the Big East were the knocks on him.

Of sound mind here. Lovecwhat Greg did for usvand no fuxing way in hell do ivwant him back.

He will get another shot and most likely a decent program. Just don't want our new journey to be with him
Meyer said, he turned two jobs down. Sounds like he was "the guy" for those jobs

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I'm a Schiano fan because of what he accomplished at Rutgers.
Forget everything else and just concentrate on how he raised all our expectations and instead of hoping for a winning season, we expected it.
Instead of hoping RU would be good enough to get in a bowl game (any)
we started demanding he bring us to a BCS bowl and some RU fans started complaining how he promised a National Championship but never delivered.
Making RU FB a progran that it's fans expected better than just winning seasons weas an accomplishment in itself, looking at how RU was once it moved from a D-AA (fcs)type program into playing a D-1A (fbs) schedule and joining what might be considered one of the better conferences.
But I don't and didn't think when Flood was sent packing Greg should return as RU's HC.

As for the schools mentioned he was being considered for I think it was the type of authority he would be given compared to what he wanted might have dampened both sides enthusiasm .
Schiano knows his next HC position might be his last chance to prove he's one of the best and failure means accepting being an assistant at a top program or resign himself to being a low level college FB HC if one is even offered.
I think the USF position was one he might have looked at , but he probly felt staying the Buckeye DC would bring him a real good offer after this season is over.
I wish him wall, but don't think returning to RU ( if Ash fails) is best for him or RU.
Old wounds would be brought up and an old enemy would find reasons to attack him and RU FB along with finding ways to make positives going on under him look like negative moves.

Here we go again. Every time he gets mentioned, someone bashes all those who "hated" Schiano.

There might have been a small handful who truly did, but most of us who are not throwing roses at his feet are more along the lines of perfect at the time, that time is passed.

What he did here was amazing, but that's not what we need now. Different job, different era. And after doing what he did in such remarkable fashion, he then tread water for five or six years. It looks good now, but that can't be the goal.

He moved on. Why can't some of you?

He was never the choice because he said no. Turned them down to stay at THE Ohio State University.
I like how so many rewrite history on here

The paradox of being a football fan.

One time, I was with a bunch of football coaches (FCS staff) and they all knew way more about football than I did (my opinion). Greg walked in and they all deferred to him. (Obviously, even Belichik and Meyer thinks he's a great football mind.)

Paradoxically, many times my friends and I thought we knew more about football than Schiano did. Go figure.

His time here has come and gone, but he is well-respected (mostly).

He will be OSU coach next year. Meyer is going pro after this year. He has nothing to prove in college.

He will be OSU coach next year. Meyer is going pro after this year. He has nothing to prove in college.

I don't see that happening. Saban, Spurrier, Kelly, all had smooth running programs, went to the NFL, and quickly came back to college, they no longer had the jimmies & Joes advantage w recruiting at a Powerhouse.
Belichik and Pete Carrol had success on the second try in the NFL.
Most NFL Head Coaches now seem to come from the ranks of NFL Assistants.

Best thing to ever happen to Rutgers football. Would take him back in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back.
Me too.

I heard Urban asked him for two years before hire and Greg agreed.

He will get a big job, and he was closer at Tampa than people think.

Reactions: ruready07

Meyer's not going pro. He could've went Pro a million times already and always turned it down. His system won't work in the NFL anyway. Chip Kelly 2.0.

So GS interviews for these schools, then turns them down. Does not make sense
Could be the power structure was problem or terms of contract.
A School might be willing to offer, but the candidate wants more control than AD is willing to give up.
Length and salary might have been problem, candidate wants more of one or both than the school is willing to give.
So Greg could have turned them down, or school just turned his demands down and they both agreed to end any further discussion about the position.
Those things do happen and that''s why sometimes the first choice of a school doesn't get the job.
When Schiano was hired by RU he wasn't the first choice and it's been implied that he wouldn't take the job unless Mulcahy agreed to the list of demands he had in order for him to replace Shea as HC.

Hiring Greg is easy.

Finding a helicopter big enough to carry around his ego is usually the deal-breaker...

Plus, he wants you to give him a house...

...we kid, because we love....:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Best thing to ever happen to Rutgers football. Would take him back in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back.
This is Chris Ash's baby now. I hope he has a long successful run here.That being said, do you think there could be any interest on either side for a Schiano part two?

Funny how the guy keeps getting offers and interviews at multiple big time programs, but yet there a zillion people on this board who think he's terrible and wouldn't want him back at RU. I know, it's beating a dead horse, but it just aggravates me. The guy isn't the best game day coach, but he's good enough. Everything else speaks for itself
I'd add.. he could be getting better as game day coach.

Perhaps one of the things that has certain types of programs NOT wanting him is his disciplinarian reputation. He is not a "players coach" for the kind of players wooed by the Baylors and Louisvilles of the world. He won't be having any whores on his contact list.

Lets say we exceed expectations and win 7 or more games this year and Ash is a hot commodity. Would Ash use his sudden value get offers from bigger money programs? And that would leave us suddenly needing a new coach very quickly.....

Here we go again. Every time he gets mentioned, someone bashes all those who "hated" Schiano.

Riighhttt.. and that never happened the other way around?

Every time anyone mentioned how they'd like Schiano back here you guys show up in droves to bash anyone who liked that idea.

I don't think he wants to be HC again, at least not for a while or unless a big name school comes calling with an offer he can't refuse. Just being DC might be just more fun for him at this point and OSU pays the same for a DC that many G5 schools pay for a HC, in many cases even more. So why leave?

And every time he is mentioned so many of us have to put up the disclaimer that we love what he did for this program before we say we wouldn't want him back. lol

Riighhttt.. and that never happened the other way around?

Every time anyone mentioned how they'd like Schiano back here you guys show up in droves to bash anyone who liked that idea.
I think his time at RU has passed

imho, there are only a few schools he can be successful at. Many of the elite programs will not tolerate having a successful program manager but $hitty game day coach. If he doesn't have the horses to win despite him, he won't be successful at a host of schools

ADVERTISEMENT