ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer: Schiano has turned down two chances to become an HC again

Im a GS beliver, he is our high point of the program. I know this has been asked but before ash was GS offered the RU job?

I'd add.. he could be getting better as game day coach.

Perhaps one of the things that has certain types of programs NOT wanting him is his disciplinarian reputation. He is not a "players coach" for the kind of players wooed by the Baylors and Louisvilles of the world. He won't be having any whores on his contact list.
Bingo! It would be a waste of talent for a coach like Schiano to go to a "win at all cost " school like Louisville or almost any SEC or almost any BIG 12 school. He belongs at a school that cares about academics, and character development. Although with Schiano we experienced the most growth as a team and program, I am most impressed with the success and comradery of the Schiano players have off the field.
No doubt he's going to get a shot somewhere, maybe when that Ferentz guy packs it in ,he'll end up in Iowa.

Last edited:
Im a GS beliver, he is our high point of the program. I know this has been asked but before ash was GS offered the RU job?
I root for Ash but have doubts he is the right fit. He lacks NJ ties and keeps low key. Greg was the ultimate salesman, always plugging RU

Reactions: NickyNewark51
A lot of people bashed Schiano. He's a bad game day coach and never won the Big East were the knocks on him.
I was in that camp in '09 and I stand by it. He peaked and then made a horrendous hire with the Delaware OC when he had BLUE CHIP QB in Savage.

RU, pulled an RU, and didn't go out and hire "a better coach." We hired a life time position coach to hold ONE recruiting class together and it set us back a decade(Yes, Flood won some games with GS's guys but NO ONE else signed up to come and play for him after, so now we are getting throttled 80-0 in games).

I was in the camp pleading for us to get GS back to give us credibility.

(Yes, in life you have two choices. Status quo or aim higher. I choose to aim higher after a good run).

I was in that camp in '09 and I stand by it. He peaked and then made a horrendous hire with the Delaware OC when he had BLUE CHIP QB in Savage.

RU, pulled an RU, and didn't go out and hire "a better coach." We hired a life time position coach to hold ONE recruiting class together and it set us back a decade(Yes, Flood won some games with GS's guys but NO ONE else signed up to come and play for him after, so now we are getting throttled 80-0 in games).

I was in the camp pleading for us to get GS back to give us credibility.

(Yes, in life you have two choices. Status quo or aim higher. I choose to aim higher after a good run).
good post

Why does GS at Iowa look like a perfect fit (to me).

Probably because you don't understand Greg Schiano, his family dynamic, his credentials, the limited ceiling at Iowa, or anything else about college football ;)

Why does GS at Iowa look like a perfect fit (to me).
I see similarities to Ferentz and Schiano coaching styles.
,Ferentz is the longest active coach in the country, he might be looking to make a move so timing might be right.
Money not an issue,
Iowa's not a rebuild.
Good academic fit.
Shot at the rose bowl/playoffs Better shot in the BIG West.
I don't know just makes sense to me.
Might be way off the mark .
From what I hear Schiano loves Fla. and wants to get back there.So who knows.

I see similarities to Ferentz and Schiano coaching styles.
,Ferentz is the longest active coach in the country, he might be looking to make a move so timing might be right.
Money not an issue,
Iowa's not a rebuild.
Good academic fit.
Shot at the rose bowl/playoffs Better shot in the BIG West.
I don't know just makes sense to me.
Might be way off the mark .
From what I hear Schiano loves Fla. and wants to get back there.So who knows.
until those fans see he can't coach on Saturdays. A guy I work with played balled there, he just laughed at this saying, 'he couldn't win the BE and you think Iowa fans are gonna be ok with a guy that win that league?'

Best thing to ever happen to Rutgers football. Would take him back in a heartbeat if he wanted to come back.
Just to clarify, I like Ash, so far, but the jury is still way out on him, overall. I really like the moves he made this off-season with the staff and he brought in a better that we probably could have expected class after the 2-10 debacle (most of which is on Flood, but a bit of which is on Ash, too).

However, what if only get 2-3 wins each of the next 2 years? I don't think that's going to happen, as I think we get 5 wins this year and 6-7 in 2018, but nobody around here has a crystal ball to know for sure. So the question becomes, if Ash doesn't turn things around and Greg is available 2 years from now, do we make a run at him. I would hope so.

Also, the reports of Schiano turning down a top program like Oregon also help validate what some of us have been saying for years about Greg turning down Michigan in 2006 - which he did, according to my source, who is a very close friend of Greg's (they played ball together at Bucknell for 4 years). Clearly Greg has not been the kind of guy to just jump at the next big opportunity, as he has some very specific criteria for his next job.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Despite me wishing we got him back, I'll take 5 wins by RU this year and a bowl next year instead, as that will mean we're back on track.

until those fans see he can't coach on Saturdays. A guy I work with played balled there, he just laughed at this saying, 'he couldn't win the BE and you think Iowa fans are gonna be ok with a guy that win that league?'
Thank God these guys weren't give another shot
16754248-mmmain.jpg

acr052802218-jpg.jpg

(or Maybe we just are the Jets/Browns of college football)

Hard to figure what Schiano's personal "ideal" spot would be at this point - he has done all of this introspective assessment / journey of re-discovery - sought to learn insights from great coaches (extended visiting with Saban, Belichick & others), says he has worked on adjusting his perspective & altering some of his work habits - refrain from being quite so obsessive, maybe delegate a bit better... If his experiences and his efforts to reframe his thinking have made a genuine difference - then he is likely a much different guy in a lot of ways - and has different priorities.

So, if he had to define the ideal opportunity that would make him jump up and say "I'll take it!" - it is a mystery as to what criteria he would list

But remember that he has now spent an awful lot of time observing & working with situations where there is nothing but the first rate resources & the continuous supply of top tier talent & very robust high-credential staff ... and virtually no arguments regarding budgets - other than 'gee coach - do you need something more?'

He will probably look to go to a place where resources are abundant & on a level with the toughest competitors that he will face - where he does not have to be a football evangelist endlessly pursuing the development of a fan base & develop support within the institution - and after all of this effort to develop himself into a new, improved, enhanced & significantly different version of the coach that he once was - he is most certainly going to want to go to a place where he starts fresh.

I root for Ash but have doubts he is the right fit. He lacks NJ ties and keeps low key. Greg was the ultimate salesman, always plugging RU
He certainly brought a buzz and some connections in NJ & Fla to our team and a savage D that I miss..

Reactions: ruready07
If we were ever in the market for a new coach over the next few years, my take on bringing Schiano back is we could do better and we could do worse. I wouldn't be thrilled but I would use the mindset that we could do a helluva a lot worse.

Me too.

I heard Urban asked him for two years before hire and Greg agreed.

He will get a big job, and he was closer at Tampa than people think.
If he had stayed at Tampa Bay, they would have turned around a lot quicker than they did. But the owners are pussies.

Reactions: ruready07
Just to clarify, I like Ash, so far, but the jury is still way out on him, overall. I really like the moves he made this off-season with the staff and he brought in a better that we probably could have expected class after the 2-10 debacle (most of which is on Flood, but a bit of which is on Ash, too).

However, what if only get 2-3 wins each of the next 2 years? I don't think that's going to happen, as I think we get 5 wins this year and 6-7 in 2018, but nobody around here has a crystal ball to know for sure. So the question becomes, if Ash doesn't turn things around and Greg is available 2 years from now, do we make a run at him. I would hope so.

Also, the reports of Schiano turning down a top program like Oregon also help validate what some of us have been saying for years about Greg turning down Michigan in 2006 - which he did, according to my source, who is a very close friend of Greg's (they played ball together at Bucknell for 4 years). Clearly Greg has not been the kind of guy to just jump at the next big opportunity, as he has some very specific criteria for his next job.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Despite me wishing we got him back, I'll take 5 wins by RU this year and a bowl next year instead, as that will mean we're back on track.

Be fair, if he kept Mehringer on this staff he knew there would've been a mutiny among the fanbase.

I think Schiano deserves every praise. He took us from the absolute dregs to respectability. He single-handedly saved the program. But sequels rarely work; it's like re-marrying an ex-spouse. I wish Schiano every success -- except when his team plays us.

Reactions: ashokan
I think Schiano deserves every praise. He took us from the absolute dregs to respectability. He single-handedly saved the program. But sequels rarely work; it's like re-marrying an ex-spouse. I wish Schiano every success -- except when his team plays us.

Greg was an Old Testament coach. He laid down the laws and principles - created the culture. He guided the team to the promised land. But like Moses he wasn't allowed to go there himself. Now RU needs a King David. Maybe Ash has a slingshot

Greg was an Old Testament coach. He laid down the laws and principles - created the culture. He guided the team to the promised land. But like Moses he wasn't allowed to go there himself. Now RU needs a King David. Maybe Ash has a slingshot
Politics and religion belong on the CE board!!

My guess is Greg wants to be a NFL coach so the next guess is being a D.C. In the NFL again....and angling for the D.C. Job in. Re England when and if that opens up

My guess is Greg wants to be a NFL coach so the next guess is being a D.C. In the NFL again....and angling for the D.C. Job in. Re England when and if that opens up

I am guessing, too, but my hunch is that Schiano has learned that his techniques do not work well on pro players. (I know he's talked about changing, but I wonder if he can change enough.) And pro ball does not take advantage of his real forte, which is recruiting.

He will probably look to go to a place where resources are abundant & on a level with the toughest competitors that he will face - where he does not have to be a football evangelist endlessly pursuing the development of a fan base & develop support within the institution - and after all of this effort to develop himself into a new, improved, enhanced & significantly different version of the coach that he once was - he is most certainly going to want to go to a place where he starts fresh.
Wouldn't this describe Oregon to a T. He didn't get that one, maybe he wasn't offered. I'd be very interested about the jobs he was offered and supposedly turned down.

Reactions: Abro1975
Wouldn't this describe Oregon to a T. He didn't get that one, maybe he wasn't offered. I'd be very interested about the jobs he was offered and supposedly turned down.
Didnt any of you read the article???
He didn't get the the job because he turned it down. This is NOT from Greg or his agent. This is from Urban Meyer.

He didn't get the the job because he turned it down. This is NOT from Greg or his agent. This is from Urban Meyer.
"Believed to be" is an opinion not a stated fact. So penis head believing that Schiano was a fit for Oregon and Dunlevy picking up that sentiment suddenly make it fact? Meyer simply stated, "two significant head coaching jobs", never said the two. The rest is all speculative on nj.com's part to make a good story.

Last edited:
Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
"Believed to be" is an opinion not a stated fact. So penis head believing that Schiano was a fit for Oregon and Dunlevy picking up that sentiment suddenly make it fact? Meyer simply stated, "two significant head coaching jobs", never said the two. The rest is all speculative on nj.com's part to make a good story.
Not believed to be.

https://www.google.com/amp/larrybro...chiano-strong-candidate-oregon-job/336312/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...rmer_rutgers_coach_greg_schiano_return_to.amp

Greg did a great deal of good for Rutgers football. Getting players into the NFL was a big deal. The stadium expansion was huge. Let's not forget the uncle Bob was also an integral part of that success.

As for the head coaching jobs, I don't know what to think.

Believe it.

You asked if I read the article. I did and in the article it said "believed to be". Which is strictly an opinion, You stated this was from Urban Meyer it wasn't, he never said the schools involved. I read both articles and those jobs had several candidates for them. Where's the article that states he was offered and decline. Plus, "reported" is used a lot in those articles which is code word for we heard rumors but don't have a definitive source. Also he's been "reported" to be involved with several schools since his firing. Which one's are true?

Believe it.
I will when the AD's of Oregon and S. Florida come out and state yes we offered him the job and he turned us down. Or Schiano say's it himself. I'm not a Greg hater. Actually to the contrary, I wanted him back. I think with the B1G to sell and his opportunity to learn from his past failure he would have had us right back into bowl games and middle of the B1G in no time. Then with an increased budget to spend on assistant's a move to the upper echelon of the conference.

Reactions: TMCB
ADVERTISEMENT