ADVERTISEMENT

Meyer: Schiano has turned down two chances to become an HC again

You asked if I read the article. I did and in the article it said "believed to be". Which is strictly an opinion, You stated this was from Urban Meyer it wasn't, he never said the schools involved. I read both articles and those jobs had several candidates for them. Where's the article that states he was offered and decline. Plus, "reported" is used a lot in those articles which is code word for we heard rumors but don't have a definitive source. Also he's been "reported" to be involved with several schools since his firing. Which one's are true?
And did read Meyer's quote in the 2nd paragraph??
He TURNED DOWN two offers, two SIGNIFICANT offers.
The only two he was linked seriously to were Oregon and USF.
The only thing worse on this board besides the Floodies are the Schiano haters.
Im guessing you still don't believe he was offered the Michigan job too.

And did read Meyer's quote in the 2nd paragraph??
He TURNED DOWN two offers, two SIGNIFICANT offers.
The only two he was linked seriously to were Oregon and USF.
The only thing worse on this board besides the Floodies are the Schiano haters.
Im guessing you still don't believe he was offered the Michigan job too.
I'm in agreement and feel Schiano wanted something that those schools didn't want to give ( salary, length of contractor power structure of FB program or some other issue neither side would back away from) so he said thanks but no thanks before they did.

I'm in agreement and feel Schiano wanted something that those schools didn't want to give ( salary, length of contractor power structure of FB program or some other issue neither side would back away from) so he said thanks but no thanks before they did.
He did take an interview with both. He was given the parameters of an offer at Oregon. Passed.
I think he took the USF interview as a courtesy.

Wanting Greg back now really smacks of the definition of insanity.

If you were to split with your wife, would you get back together with your crazy, demanding ex-wife who was decent in bed but ultimately not really right? Or do you maybe man up, try something different and hope for a better outcome all around?

Reactions: 17Q66
Wanting Greg back now really smacks of the definition of insanity.

If you were to split with your wife, would you get back together with your crazy, demanding ex-wife who was decent in bed but ultimately not really right? Or do you maybe man up, try something different and hope for a better outcome all around?
Rutgers and Schiano had an amicable divorce. Then like a jilted lover they turned to Schiano's friend Kyle Flood. Well, that didn't end well. Now they are involved with a much younger head coach with less baggage.

You don't get the best recruits in Oregon. Schiano will go to one of the teams that get great recruits without much effort. Schiano might inherit Ohio State.

Reactions: Plum Street
You don't get the best recruits in Oregon. Schiano will go to one of the teams that get great recruits without much effort. Schiano might inherit Ohio State.

Oregon recruits itself with the uniforms and facilities.

He will be OSU coach next year. Meyer is going pro after this year. He has nothing to prove in college.
The NFL trash heap is littered with college coaches that came into the league because they had "nothing left to prove in college" and found that the pro game was a totally different animal where their college BS didn't work. Most of the college coaches that successfully made the transition to the pro game had NFL experience as either players or high level assistants, and had familiarity with pro-style systems on both sides of the ball.

Ducks currently ranked #8 recruiting class. Nine 4 stars. Oregon is a very attractive place for quality recruits, especially from California and Texas.
It's attractive and it would be great for Rutgers football but the Oregon recruiting was ranked 25 in 2016, 17 in 2015 and 26 in 2014. Rutgers always has great early recruiting ranking until the end of the recruiting season. They normally rank below USC, STANFORD, UCLA and now Washington every year in the recruiting ranking. Oregon is expected to be in the top 10 and do better than their ranking. Schiano might coach a top 10 team but he needs to have recruited a top 10 team.

Here is my take on it and don't really care what anyone else thinks...lol I can 100% believe that Oregon and SF may have provided the outline of an offer to Schiano and for whatever reason, neither the school or him could come to an agreement. With that said, I could not see Oregon being a fit for Greg and his family. I also think that a school like Oregon was not going to make any major changes to their offer to accommodate Greg either. So take that for what it is as well. USF...I think Greg would prefer what he has at OSU over HC at USF. And again, I don't think USF was going to stay awake at night trying to find a way to entice him either.

Greg has actually put himself into a very good position to get a very good HC job come next year. I hope he gets something and does well. I just wouldn't want him back here.

Could be the power structure was problem or terms of contract.
A School might be willing to offer, but the candidate wants more control than AD is willing to give up.
Length and salary might have been problem, candidate wants more of one or both than the school is willing to give.
So Greg could have turned them down, or school just turned his demands down and they both agreed to end any further discussion about the position.
Those things do happen and that''s why sometimes the first choice of a school doesn't get the job.
When Schiano was hired by RU he wasn't the first choice and it's been implied that he wouldn't take the job unless Mulcahy agreed to the list of demands he had in order for him to replace Shea as HC.
+1 glad you included Greg's list of demands he gave Mulcahy before signing up. Greg is a smart guy, and has the luxury of taking his time. He's not going to get himself into a situation unless it's absolutely perfect for him, in all aspects. He interviewed the school, not the other way around, at least in his mind.

Anyone who knows Schiano knows that Greg could not co exist with a multi billionaire donor trying to tell Greg anything about football, thus Oregon was a no go.

Reactions: RU2055
Schiano is familar with east coast recruiting and would be at disadvantage recruiting California.

Anyone who knows Schiano knows that Greg could not co exist with a multi billionaire donor trying to tell Greg anything about football, thus Oregon was a no go.

I'm sure that's a situation every coach loves to face.

The idea that Greg is the only head coach with an ego is laughable. You don't get to that level unless you have confidence, ability, and a bit of an ego.

I'm sure that's a situation every coach loves to face.

The idea that Greg is the only head coach with an ego is laughable. You don't get to that level unless you have confidence, ability, and a bit of an ego.
they guy measured air temp in meeting rooms for God's sake. It's not just ego, he's a fking loon

It's attractive and it would be great for Rutgers football but the Oregon recruiting was ranked 25 in 2016, 17 in 2015 and 26 in 2014. Rutgers always has great early recruiting ranking until the end of the recruiting season. They normally rank below USC, STANFORD, UCLA and now Washington every year in the recruiting ranking. Oregon is expected to be in the top 10 and do better than their ranking. Schiano might coach a top 10 team but he needs to have recruited a top 10 team.
Oregon's previous coach was a bad recruiter. Taggart will pull in good classes. Oregon doesn't have a lot of local talent but they can definitely pull in very good classes with the right coach.

they guy measured air temp in meeting rooms for God's sake. It's not just ego, he's a fking loon
That's the theory of “aggregation of marginal gains”: the little things eventually add up.

Chip Kelly was known for micromanaging every little detail of his players right down to monitoring their sleeping habits. He's considered a genius because he won.

Ditto with Tom Brady and the whole deflategate saga. Tommy boy probably didn't need to mess around with those footballs, but if there was any advantage to be gained -- no matter how seemingly insignificant -- apparently he wanted it.

I don't know if having a room at an exact temperature makes a person a better football player, but personally I know I have difficulty concentrating on presentations when a room is too hot or too cold. Plus, my goodness, how hard is it to program a thermostat?

It's not like he asked folks to present him with a giant jar of M&M's with all the brown ones removed... (great story behind that -- worth a google if you're unfamiliar).

That's the theory of “aggregation of marginal gains”: the little things eventually add up.

Chip Kelly was known for micromanaging every little detail of his players right down to monitoring their sleeping habits. He's considered a genius because he won.

Ditto with Tom Brady and the whole deflategate saga. Tommy boy probably didn't need to mess around with those footballs, but if there was any advantage to be gained -- no matter how seemingly insignificant -- apparently he wanted it.

I don't know if having a room at an exact temperature makes a person a better football player, but personally I know I have difficulty concentrating on presentations when a room is too hot or too cold. Plus, my goodness, how hard is it to program a thermostat?

It's not like he asked folks to present him with a giant jar of M&M's with all the brown ones removed... (great story behind that -- worth a google if you're unfamiliar).

so we're comparing Greg to Chip and Brady now? you guys are too much and the aggregation of marginal gains doesn't quite work this way

He did that to keep players alert...... GS had a great attention to detail thats why he has made tens of millions. He is the best coach RU ever had and most likely will ever have

part 1- I am ok with... Bolded- then we are in serious poop

so we're comparing Greg to Chip and Brady now? you guys are too much and the aggregation of marginal gains doesn't quite work this way
No.

I'm comparing Greg's obsessive compulsiveness to that of Chip's and Brady's.

And I'm interested on your interpretation of aggregation of marginal gains.

He did that to keep players alert...... GS had a great attention to detail thats why he has made tens of millions. He is the best coach RU ever had and most likely will ever have

sigh... you do realized that Rutgers has head coaches in the College football hall of frame right?

Come on man...

But he was the best by far of the Big East era for Rutgers.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
As much as I admire Schiano's performance here, I hope we someday have a better coach on game day. BTW, perhaps as a professor I'm the only one who cares about this, but Schiano did a great job of making sure his players took their academic studies seriously. He really built up the tutorial program.

Funny how the guy keeps getting offers and interviews at multiple big time programs, but yet there a zillion people on this board who think he's terrible and wouldn't want him back at RU. I know, it's beating a dead horse, but it just aggravates me. The guy isn't the best game day coach, but he's good enough. Everything else speaks for itself
:okay:

GS best Rutgers coach since 1970, that better?

Still wrong. Frank Burns was better, went undefeated, took Rutgers to its 1st bowl game, and beat top schools with FCS talent. Even nearly beat Bama that one year. Won the Walter Camp Coach of the Year Award in 1976. Had a winning record 7 years in a row. Starting in 1973 to 1980.

Burns record here was 78–43–1

GS record here was 68–67

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
As much as I admire Schiano's performance here, I hope we someday have a better coach on game day. BTW, perhaps as a professor I'm the only one who cares about this, but Schiano did a great job of making sure his players took their academic studies seriously. He really built up the tutorial program.
I don't think your the only one who cares.
I think that has been pretty apparent though the years, (almost to a Fault) no administration has had any interest in RU ever becoming a football factory.
When Schiano came here he had one of the best, if not thee best academic support staffs in the country.The results were phenomenal.He did an excellent job implementing his program and recruiting players of pretty good character.

Last edited:
The poster you're replying to , in my opinion, was just showing many successful coach and players do the same as Schiano did.
I wouldn't be surprised if unsuccessful coaches did the same.
Heck Chip was successful at Oregon and might be considered unsuccessful as a Pro HC . So maybe that's a slight comparison even if Kelley inherited a pretty good Duck program from Mike Bellotti while Greg inherited a mess from Shea.
As for pro HC careers, Kelly had a better one at Philly, but not good enough to remain one after his second chance at SF going 2-14 in the one year he was there . Greg went 7-9 then 4-12 and out.

Still wrong. Frank Burns was better, went undefeated, took Rutgers to its 1st bowl game, and beat top schools with FCS talent. Even nearly beat Bama that one year. Won the Walter Camp Coach of the Year Award in 1976. Had a winning record 7 years in a row. Starting in 1973 to 1980.

Burns record here was 78–43–1

GS record here was 68–67

You are correct with the records, but way off when it comes to context. Schiano took over the worst program in 1A (and worse than many 1AA teams), so his first 2-4 years should get some sort of pass. Even if you just take out his first 2 years, his record goes to 65-47 and improves to 70-48 (59%) when you throw in the 5-1 bowl record. That's not too far off Burns's 64% winning percentage and Burns inherited a very good team that went 7-4 the year before he took over (and had only 1 losing season in the previous 5).

Personally, I look at them as about even with regard to football success and I never understood why we fired him. However, Schiano gets the nod for me as far as being a program builder, given the incredible growth of the program and the expansion of the stadium, all of which were directly responsible for us getting the B1G invitation. Burns can't claim anything like that.

You are correct with the records, but way off when it comes to context. Schiano took over the worst program in 1A (and worse than many 1AA teams), so his first 2-4 years should get some sort of pass. Even if you just take out his first 2 years, his record goes to 65-47 and improves to 70-48 (59%) when you throw in the 5-1 bowl record. That's not too far off Burns's 64% winning percentage and Burns inherited a very good team that went 7-4 the year before he took over (and had only 1 losing season in the previous 5).

Personally, I look at them as about even with regard to football success and I never understood why we fired him. However, Schiano gets the nod for me as far as being a program builder, given the incredible growth of the program and the expansion of the stadium, all of which were directly responsible for us getting the B1G invitation. Burns can't claim anything like that.
A matter of opinion, and please note I still think these are two of our greatest coaches, but Burns took us from playing nothing but FCS schools to playing mostly FBS schools, that was a massive jump. Just ask Tennesse how well he did.

Seeing how attention to detail is dismissed by some in this thread and a poroduct of Schiano's ego, wonder if this RU FB HC's ( John Bateman) motto would be judged egotistical:
'I'm not always right but I'm never in doubt.' ''
His 1961 undefeated season probably was a product of that way of thinking.
The way he ended his career wasn't pretty , resigned because the Rutgers President ( at the time) Edward Bloustein asked him to. Starting the Frank Burns era.
Along with Dr. John resigning as HC after being HC 13 years ( stayed as the assistant to the vice president in charge of university relations) Rutgers AD Albert W. Twitchell ( 13years as that) was removed from that office after refusing to resign and became a professor in the physical ed department.
Fred E. Gruninger was named the new athletic director.

Why did I bring that up, to show how narrow minded Rutgers University was about their athletic programs and how naive Bloustein was about making RU FB a better program , he signed both Burns and Gruninger to one year contracts .
That type of thinking continued in the way RU financed its football program and what Schiano had to end to make RU FB respectable.
Say what you will about Schiano's coaching and the way Mulcahy treated other programs, but without Greg and Bob threads like this wouldn't be on this board because ex RU HCs never would be in a position to turn down a
HC position anywhere( except maybe a euro FB league type HC job) to turn down, much less interview for a college HC position.

ADVERTISEMENT