ADVERTISEMENT

Football Michael Maietti enters transfer portal

Why are some of better players bailing?
Afraid of open competition? I hope you’re not calling these two some of the better players. They’re both battlers but not someone ideal for what GS wants at RU.

Very doubtful that GS pushes them out. But open competition and a dose of reality may have.

that being said...if they wind up elsewhere, they both gave their all at RU and deserve our thanks.

He was solid.. is this really a guy we pushed out?
If you watch the O line you would realize he really wasn't. I've said it in the past and I'll say it again. Him being short and undersized wasn't a big deal if he was quick. Being short and quick gives you the advantage to beat bigger guys to the punch, knocking them off balance with leverage. Maietti wasn't quick so he tried to go toe to toe with monsters. It was a losing proposition and one in which he couldn't hold the point of attack.

But he was the best we had here at the position, however that's not saying much. If he thinks he's going to be in high demand at other P5 schools he's severely over valuing his talent. Any coach will pop in the tape and see his weaknesses.

Maietti was a good player but too many times was manhandled by opposing D linemen...listed at 6’ 0” 290- 295 ? ... more like 5’ 11” 280 ... played hard and was smart but he too as a senior finds himself on the outside looking in... curious to see if he goes to a school as a D 1 or D 2... so far only Blackshear has gone to a Power 5 ... should know in two weeks if we have any more Oline transfers coming in. Another ship for spring or late summer.

Remember, when Greg shared his assessment of the roster with G Brown and Hobbs, they were shocked. Now it's our turn. Mo and Mike are announcing the first week of the semester. they'll finish out the semester and have another year to start on their graduate studies. Good for them both, and grateful for their contributions. If we see a couple more, I would not be surprised. Now if Pacheco or Fogg transfers, then I would be concerned.

if you thought it was going to be easy for Schiano you were being over confident

If I were a graduating football player who doesn’t have a realistic shot at the pros, I’d at least try to milk the grad transfer thing to a college that might set me up for life.

I don’t think a lot of these guys think that way, but I would. I think a Big Ten starting center will be welcomed at a Power five program, if only for depth.

If I were a graduating football player who doesn’t have a realistic shot at the pros, I’d at least try to milk the grad transfer thing to a college that might set me up for life.

I don’t think a lot of these guys think that way, but I would. I think a Big Ten starting center will be welcomed at a Power five program, if only for depth.

I'm thinking that most power 5 schools want plug in and play grad guys not projected 2nd stringers.

You can't blame someone for leaving a program as a grad transfer especially one that has a new coaching staff. If you want a chance to get to a bowl game, in your one year left, you may as well explore your options.
Here’s the thing about these 10 players so far. Only Blackshear has a chance to play in a bowl game. All the others are going to schools on lower levels.

Reactions: MozRU
Based upon talent levels from the end of Flood and Ash ...we did not have depth or players like our fellow B1G opponents... that was obvious from our record the past 3-4 years...Schiano is here to win as soon as possible ...

Reactions: cicero grimes
According to the article he had offers out of HS from the likes of Air Force, Army, Delaware, Maine, Marist, New Hampshire, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart. My question, why was he at a B1G program to begin with? I wish him well in his next stop in life.

According to the article he had offers out of HS from the likes of Air Force, Army, Delaware, Maine, Marist, New Hampshire, Robert Morris and Sacred Heart. My question, why was he at a B1G program to begin with? I wish him well in his next stop in life.

Why? Four words - Head Coach Chris Ash. Best he could come up with in the 2 months after being hired - Howson, Maietti, Lonsdorf, Lumor, Bailey, Oden, Marfo, Maddox-Williams, Turner.

Reactions: koleszar
Not only was he in a B1G program, he was a starter?!?!?!?

Maietti was a good player but too many times was manhandled by opposing D linemen...listed at 6’ 0” 290- 295 ? ... more like 5’ 11” 280 ... played hard and was smart but he too as a senior finds himself on the outside looking in... curious to see if he goes to a school as a D 1 or D 2... so far only Blackshear has gone to a Power 5 ... should know in two weeks if we have any more Oline transfers coming in. Another ship for spring or late summer.

My first impression is that Maietti is following the Jonah Jackson approach to get to a top program as a grad transfer after putting in 4 years at RU. Being a starting OL for OSU worked out well for Jackson.

But Maietti won’t have those types of options based on his play. But who knows, maybe he’s got a good offer somewhere?

He played hard for RU FB. I thank him for his efforts and wish him well in the future.

Kid has heart and guts. But he just doesn’t have the B1G OL measurables. He won’t fit into the new O schem. He was great at pulling because of his speed.

Guys GS is a saint like his idol JoePa, so he can’t do anything wrong, so OBVIOUSLY he was forced out and this is a good thing

time to let grudges go....Greg IS the coach, and we move on from there..

RU was horrible, again, last year.....I can easily see some players moving on, not willing to gamble their last year with our program

some of these transfers will hurt, but a good coach will find a way to work through, and this is
a couple of year project to getting good as it is

Who replaces him? Not an issue if we have someone else to fill the void, but do we? Good luck to Mike.

Even if Ash had returned there was a good chance that Hanson would start in 2020 because he’s a B1G sized center - 6-5, 295, as a true frosh. Maietti started as a RS frosh. No reason that Hanson can’t. With a new staff, can’t knock Maietti’s decision.

At least these guys graduated from RU. They are fellow alumni and have degrees from our great school and are Scarlet Knights forever. With 1 year left of their football career which they’ve surely played since their pee wee days, I don’t blame them at all for wanting to try to go somewhere where they feel they can go to a bowl game guaranteed this season and have a masters program from potentially another great school like RU. Best of luck to these fellow Knights, but there’s not a tear I will shed for any player especially lineman and WRs from the Ash era who decide to move on. Best of luck

Afraid of open competition? I hope you’re not calling these two some of the better players. They’re both battlers but not someone ideal for what GS wants at RU.

Very doubtful that GS pushes them out. But open competition and a dose of reality may have.

that being said...if they wind up elsewhere, they both gave their all at RU and deserve our thanks.

From the article on his departure:

It’s a blow: There is no other way to put it. This is not a case of a player who was phased out of the starting lineup or was about to be passed on the depth chart looking for a fresh start. Maietti is a three-year starter with 33 career starts under his belt. He was Rutgers’ best lineman last season despite being a bit undersized for the Big Ten (6-foot-1, 291 pounds). Maietti likely would have held onto his job this year and been in the running to be elected a team captain.

2016 Class- Krimin 0.855, Lonsdorf 0.813, *Maietti 2 star 0.781*
Hard worker and probably good kid but a 2 star starting for 3 years R-Fr. to R-Jr (2017-19) is kind of saying something about Flood and Ash OL recruiting and Ash's decision making. All 3 on the 2 deep last year, but they have the most experience on the team.

OL recruit 2017- Clark 0.94, Vretman 0.855, Beaty 0.844, Bowles 0.839
2018- O'Neal 0.852, Sutton 0.844, Rosso 0.826
2019(redshirted)- Hanson 0.83, Oskarsson 0.826, Cooper 0.826

As long as we don't lose O'Neal or Sutton 6'4" 280, we should be fine.
Last year's depth chart to start the year was

LT O'neal 6'4" 305 Lonsdorf 6'6" 304
LG Venesky 6'3 306 Vretman 6'6" 305
C Maietti 6'1 291 Owen Bowles 6'4" 300
RG Krimin 6'5 309 Manny Taylor 6'5" 312
RT Seymour 6'6 324 Rosso 6'6" 290

Seymour, Venesky and Taylor are gone and why are there a bunch of tackles in the guard spots. I was always led to believe that tackle spots are the taller guys with good feet and Guards and Centers are shorter more athletic guys for the QB to see the field better. Why wouldn't they move O'neal and Sutton at the Guards, Vretman, Krimin, Lonsdorf and Rosso battle for the tackle spots. Just need to find backup guards and either Bowles at center or a new guy.

It would be really nice to see some of these Ash recruited linemen develop. Sutton and O'Neal are the only two that have shown anything thus far. Hopefully Jay Butler and Aurich can get them to the next level.

Glad he wasn’t elected team captain. RU fans are generally against team captains transferring.

ADVERTISEMENT