ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan and Northwestern Establish George Jewett Trophy

Isn't every rivalry contrived at the beginning? Some have staying power, others do not.
There are natural ones...the best ones are due to geography.
RU-Princeton would be the longest running one had it not stopped in 1980 (or whenever it did)
Think of all the better ones and there is a closeness and a disdain that stems from that closeness!

I said years ago we should have done something like this for Paul Robeson.

The FCS game when we played a HBC could have been a weekend celebration honoring his legacy and the famous alums of whatever school we were playing that day.

Michigan likes rivalry games. They used to say they had four: Notre Dame at the start, Michigan State in the middle, Ohio State at the end, and Minnesota (Old Oaken Bucket) somewhere in between. With ND off the schedule, and Minnesota only a sometimes thing, I guess they needed another.

Michigan likes rivalry games. They used to say they had four: Notre Dame at the start, Michigan State in the middle, Ohio State at the end, and Minnesota (Old Oaken Bucket) somewhere in between. With ND off the schedule, and Minnesota only a sometimes thing, I guess they needed another.

The Minnesota game isn’t a rivalry for either school, just a game that happens to revolve around a cool, historic trophy. @DJ Spanky I imagine something similar will happen here; the existence of a trophy doesn’t have to mean a contrived a rivalry.

Reactions: Doctor Worm
RU-Princeton would be the longest running one had it not stopped in 1980 (or whenever it did)
Think of all the better ones and there is a closeness and a disdain that stems from that closeness!
Little of these things in CFL could rival the crap that went on with the canon.

Who can ever forget the CivilConFLict!

Reactions: rurichdog
The Minnesota game isn’t a rivalry for either school, just a game that happens to revolve around a cool, historic trophy. @DJ Spanky I imagine something similar will happen here; the existence of a trophy doesn’t have to mean a contrived a rivalry.
That is a very good point. There are 15 (now 16) trophy games between B1G teams. Some are well known (Little Brown Jug, Old Oaken Bucket, Paul Bunyan's Axe). Others are little known beyond the two schools that compete for it. Such as:
  • Heartland Trophy (Iowa-Wisconsin)
  • Heroes Trophy (Iowa-Nebraska)
  • Land of Lincoln Trophy (Illinois-Northwestern).
Most of them are not considered significant rivalries. Minnesota has five trophy games. Nobody can have five rivalries.

On the other hand, most would agree that the biggest B1G rivalry is Ohio State-Michigan. The winner of that game goes home emptyhanded.

I’m fine if over time we end up with Maryland as ours.

Most of the trophies are just a kind of added incentive for the game. Most of the Big 10 schools have been playing each other for more than 100 years, so rivalries spring up along the way — some obviously more than others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT