ADVERTISEMENT

MidKnight Madness Students Only

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Tickets for MidKnight will be available ONLY to Rutgers NB students. Students can claim their tickets this Thursday, 9/27, at 9 AM.

A Boogie wit da Hoodie HBTL will be in the building for #MidKnightMadness and will cap off the student-only event with a live performance. 10.12.18 | Doors Open 6:30 PM

Boo. My son and I were looking forward to attending. Oh well.

Wait a second here, who made this decision. I thought having MM at the RAC last year was great and we now shut out the RU community and season ticket holders. Pike always thanks the community for coming out so why make this change to shut out loyal fans. BAD decision !!!!!!!

Reactions: scarletmaniac828
In the grand scheme of the program, this is a good move. As a recent grad who went to all of the b-ball games in school, while I’m slightly disappointed in missing out, this will be an awesome atmosphere for the students and getting them to come out to games is a big thing to tackle. I’m a fan of the move

I have been to every Midnight Madness at RU probably since just after the 76 season. There were some years MM wasn't held but I've never missed one. I feel bad but it just might be a good move to get the students involved. As a season ticket holder I will have the open practice on Saturday October 13th which I am looking forward to.

You conveniently left out that they will have an open practice for season ticket holders for both the men’s and women’s teams, October 13 & 27 respectively.

MM was open to anyone and students. Not just season tix holders. So there remains a gap.

Like I said, not going anyway especially if it features some rapper (famous of not).
Enjoy students! I really hope it brings them out to games. We need much more support from them.

Dn-KAbLXoAEUnF9
Is it just me or does he look like he is giving the finger?

Reactions: Friend of 112
Wait a second here, who made this decision. I thought having MM at the RAC last year was great and we now shut out the RU community and season ticket holders. Pike always thanks the community for coming out so why make this change to shut out loyal fans. BAD decision !!!!!!!
I don’t understand why they would do this

This is idiotic. The idea that "50 year olds" are going to flood out the students is silly. Last year there were maybe 1,500 people there, a mix of students and older fans. There was more than enough room for about 7,000 more students. If they want to encourage students, they just needed to create something to pull students in, give them a section of seats etc. Why bar season ticket holders from a team event. Only Rutgers can be this stupid.

Reactions: soundcrib
This is idiotic. The idea that "50 year olds" are going to flood out the students is silly. Last year there were maybe 1,500 people there, a mix of students and older fans. There was more than enough room for about 7,000 more students. If they want to encourage students, they just needed to create something to pull students in, give them a section of seats etc. Why bar season ticket holders from a team event. Only Rutgers can be this stupid.
Yea this is really not good. I haven’t missed a home game in years regardless of who it’s against but the students who only show up against so called big name opponents are the only ones allowed at midnight madness?

They are holding it at the Barn, which has filled up in the past for this event. They want it to be more accessible for College Ave students. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but that is the rationale.

They are holding it at the Barn, which has filled up in the past for this event. They want it to be more accessible for College Ave students. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but that is the rationale.
Well they should have it at the rac. This year more than years past there is increased excitement and curiosity around the program and that should be taken into account when they decided where to hold it. I love rutgers basketball always have and always will and I as a fan who prioritizes rutgers basketball and not just there cause there’s nothing better to do but because I am a rabid fan and wouldn’t miss the game to be shit out of midnight madness is inexcusable.

Well they should have it at the rac. This year more than years past there is increased excitement and curiosity around the program and that should be taken into account when they decided where to hold it. I love rutgers basketball always have and always will and I as a fan who prioritizes rutgers basketball and not just there cause there’s nothing better to do but because I am a rabid fan and wouldn’t miss the game to be shit out of midnight madness is inexcusable.
I actually think its a good idea imo. It will show the students and players and recruits a really live atmosphere full of students full of energy rather than middle aged to late aged men watching the guys run around. I think it’s a really good idea, i wouldve liked to go but im fully on board

I actually think its a good idea imo. It will show the students and players and recruits a really live atmosphere full of students full of energy rather than middle aged to late aged men watching the guys run around. I think it’s a really good idea, i wouldve liked to go but im fully on board
yea but it’s basically false advertising so to speak meaning that the students are inconsistent with there attendance which I and people like me are not inconsistent at all we are the ones that will be seen at every game regardless of record opponent or day of the week so to shut us out of something like this is not the right move and in my opinion not helpful in getting where we are trying to go. You think duke tells there 20 plus year season ticket holders they can’t come to midnight madness?

yea but it’s basically false advertising so to speak meaning that the students are inconsistent with there attendance which I and people like me are not inconsistent at all we are the ones that will be seen at every game regardless of record opponent or day of the week so to shut us out of something like this is not the right move and in my opinion not helpful in getting where we are trying to go. You think duke tells there 20 plus year season ticket holders they can’t come to midnight madness?
I went to the first Midnight Madness at the Barn in 1989. (They had to set up speakers on the street because the turnout was so overwhelming) I go to every game, go to open practices w/ Court Club, etc. but haven't been to Midnight Madness since that 1st year when I was a Senior. Frankly, I'd feel out of place at my advanced age going to something like this. Doing it in The Barn for the students only is a great way to get students involved and feel like this is their team.

No problem with this. Never cared much for the whole MM concept. Always felt like something I HAD to attend rather than wanted to.

Open practice is a much better idea, and there’s always real basketball going on rather than a “concert” from some dude this 48 year old metal fan has never even heard of.

Nothing wrong with trying something new to generate some heat for the potential student fans out there!

No problem with this. Never cared much for the whole MM concept. Always felt like something I HAD to attend rather than wanted to.

Open practice is a much better idea, and there’s always real basketball going on rather than a “concert” from some dude this 48 year old metal fan has never even heard of.

Nothing wrong with trying something new to generate some heat for the potential student fans out there!

Word

I'm disappointed that I won't be able to attend Midknight Madness. But I am OK with this being an event to drum up student support. It actually makes it easier for Rutgers as they can ensure the event is geared toward students, as opposed to trying to please students and older fans. (Plus, limiting it to students helps ensure that you don't have non-students showing up just to hear the music performance.)

The event I really miss is the old Tip-Off Dinner which used to be held right before Midknight Madness. It was an opportunity for older fans to hear the coaches speak and meet the players in a more subdued environment.

It sold out in 20 minutes.

I like this idea. Get the student body bought it. I think with the current state of the football team a lot of students will be interested in basketball this year.

Reactions: gregkoko

I like this idea. Get the student body bought it. I think with the current state of the football team a lot of students will be interested in basketball this year.

that's great. I mean that. but that begs the question of how many more would have come to the RAC ?

but good for them...nice to have something in such demand and excite the students...

I've been a season ticket holder for almost 30 years.

If the staff thinks it's a good idea to hold a student only event at the Barn with a live musical performance, then I am all for it.

I hope the team and students have a great time!!

I'm looking forward to the season.

Bullshit move. I was going with 4 of us as every year,we go to this event.Bad move, but I can see the Rutgers apologist posting "likes", unreal. The school can see the fan base is suffering from another $hit show football season and looking forward to a promising basketball season,{long time coming}, from Coach Pikell, who truly has shown to have a CLUE, and what do they do? Shut out the fans, unfriggin unreal. Go ahead, and hit the like button, of course not, it doesn't fit the narrative of the Groupies that like to kiss ass of the powers that be.

Last edited:
You conveniently left out that they will have an open practice for season ticket holders for both the men’s and women’s teams, October 13 & 27 respectively.
Who cares, those are the fans you ALREADY HAVE!!! Shortsightedness,once again,the RAC was great last year, and should have been used again and would have been the basketball commercial to try and get more season ticket sales and single game ticket sales!!! Stupid,stupid,stupid, why am I not surprised.

So this is a good idea? With a student body of 50,000, they hold it at a place that holds,what,3200? Brilliant as always Rutgers.The Rutgers Marketing Dept drops the ball, and loses a possible chance at some new revenue.I'm guessing Finance isn't their strong suit.

Last edited:
100% agree,again,stupid move.Waiting on the apologist to counter this heartfelt statement.

This is such a stupid thread. Some of you should be embarrassed.

People who attend these events are already diehard fans. No one is converting their neighbor into an RU fan because they dragged them to see a few slam dunk exhibitions and A Boogie With Da Hoodie jumping around. But it will get more students interested. You know, our future fan base.

This is just a bunch of entitled old men melting about feeling deprived of something. Grow up.

ADVERTISEMENT