ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Open -Wrestling

obrats

Senior
Mar 28, 2013
Looks like we are sending 4 to The Midlands Open which starts tomorrow.

133 - Anthony Giraldo
141 - Tyson Dippery
149 - John Van Brill
285 - Wesley Bernard

Giraldo is seeded 7th, Dippery is seeded 15th. I don't expect to see Van Brill or Bernard seeded.

Wrestling starts at 10:30est, and I believe BTN plus will be streaming e dry match for free.

Dippery wins first round 14-12 versus Jon Henslee
http://www.poetatrainingcenter.com/staff.html

149: Van Brill beats Nick Barber of Eastern Michigan by 5-2. nice win versus a redshirt junior from St. Ed's (Ohio)
http://www.emueagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5065

133: Giraldo has a first round bye. Next up is Josh Alber, freshman of U Northern Iowa.
http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=209634871
From Dakota HS in Freeport, Illinois. Bio states:
Four-time state champion at Illinois high school championships ... went undefeated in high school with a 177-0 record ... became 15th Illinois wrestler to seize four state championships ... broke IHSA record for most-consecutive wins ... was on high school honor roll multiple times ... also recruited by Northwestern, Central Michigan, Illinois and Minnesota.

141 - Dippery next match is Tyler Argue. true senior at Northern Illinois U.
http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-wrestl/mtt/tyler_argue_768841.html

2013-14:Went 12-16 with two pins while starting most of the season at 141 pounds... Became the first Huskie since 2010 to place at the prestigious Midlands Championships (12/29-30), posting a 3-3 record en route to an eighth-place finish... Claimed third place at the MSU Open (11/9) with a 4-1 record... Notched his first pin of the year at the Warren Williamson/Daktronics Open (11/3) with a first-period stick of unattached Nick Chavez... Also pinned Indiana's Ethan Raley and Findlay's Nic Skonieczny during the year... Earned technical falls over Ohio's Jacob Rockloff and North Dakota State's Devin Wolf.
2012-13:Registered a 17-9 record as a part-time starter at 141 for the Huskies... Posted a 4-1 mark in dual matches... Won the 141 bracket at the Harper Open (2/2), posting two pins in his three matches... Pinned Harper's Blake Santi in 20 seconds to win the tournament crown... Placed fourth at both the Kaufman-Brand Open (12/1) and Flash Flanagan Open (1/12)... Earned eight of his 17 wins via pin, technical fall or major decision.
2011-12:Compiled a 7-11 record in his first season at NIU... Finished in fourth place at the Michigan State Fresh/Soph Open (11/12) at 149 pounds with a 4-2 record... Started in nine duals, going 3-6 in those matches... Lone pin came against Ahmad Khalid of Harper College in 3:49 at the Michigan State Open (11/12)... Recorded two major decisions.
High School: Ranked 18th in the nation at 140 in 2011... Posted a 49-16 record with 15 pins in 2010 for the Caravan and took fourth place in the state championships at 135... Took fifth and sixth place at the Ironman and Dvorak Tournaments respectively as a junior.
Personal:Born on Sept. 1, 1993... Son of David and Monica Argue... Major is undecided.

285: Wesley Bernard gets bye in first round and will face Connor Medbury #3 of Wisconsin.

Giraldo with a ball and chain tilt for 3. gets stalling call against alber 90 sec in to 2nd period. Alber gets escape after 1:55 riding by Giraldo.

Alber in desperation tries bad throw, gets caught to back. 5 point move. Giraldo wins by major 10-1.

Easy match for Giraldo.

Champ. Round 2 - Anthony Giraldo (Rutgers) won by major decision over Josh Alber (Northern Iowa) (Maj 10-1)

Lots of near fall points while starting on top.

Only thing to even really critique in Giraldo's match was that the guy got an escape with 2 seconds left in the second after an almost full period of riding.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Easy match for Giraldo.

Champ. Round 2 - Anthony Giraldo (Rutgers) won by major decision over Josh Alber (Northern Iowa) (Maj 10-1)

Lots of near fall points while starting on top.
Funny how a final score can make a match look easy. I watched the match and it was anything but easy. Great match.

yuck:
Van Brill loses close on 6-5. needs better footwork.

Dippery loses 14-3 in terrible match to a freshman. Crushed on feet. bad form on tilts with hips low for pivot. (we are clearly scouted on this issue)

I watched the entire match too. If was basically a few sets of back points. Was it easy? No. Was Giraldo ever remotely in trouble? Again, no. So I guess "easy" is a matter of opinion based on what you're looking at in the match. It's not like Giraldo was tossing the kid around like a rag doll or anything.

Obrats...agreed on Giraldo. It was really a well fought 5-1 victory. the last 5 points was desperation by opponent.
What Anthony did right was nothing wrong, combined with a 3 point tilt in second period and a crushing ride for 1:55.
a smart match closer than the score appeared.
-j

Approximately how long until Giraldo wrestles his next match? Or if easier, when does the next round wrestle? I want to time a nap then wake up to watch Giraldo wrestle.

Giraldo next opponent, Kevin Norstrem, is ranked #10 for this tournament. Norstrem is a Redshirt Freshman ranked #19 at 133 by Intermat. Beat DelVechhio in Las Vegas, so this is really interesting for RU.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/players/norstrem_kevin.html

2014-15: Picked up a win against Newberry in his official collegiate debut … Went 2-2 while wreslting unattached at the Hokie Open, placing fourth … Picked up a pair of wins in Tech's tri-meet against Gardner-Webb and No. 23 North Dakota State … Lost to Johnni DiJulius of Ohio State, 2-1, in the dual match … Took seventh at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational … Picked up wins over seeded Scott Delvecchio and Ian Nickell at the event … Fell to No. 5 Jimmy Gulibon of Penn State 9-4 in the dual.
2013-14: Was redshirted … Went 21-4 while wrestling unattached at 133 pounds … Won three open tournaments … Went 4-0 at the Hokie Open to take the title … Went 4-0 at the King Open to capture the title … Went 2-2 at the Midlands Championships … Went 4-1 at the Shorty Hitchcock Memorial, placing second … Won both of his matches at the Appalachian State Open to take the title … Placed third at the National Collegiate Open, going 5-1.
High School: Lettered four times for Coach Russ Cozart at Brandon High … The No. 19 overall recruit in the country as rated by Amateur Wrestling News, No. 16 by D1CollegeWrestling, No. 42 by InterMat and No. 44 by FloWrestling … A five-time Florida state champion, four times at the 3A level … Went 229-3 in his four years at Brandon … Combined with a 45-1 eighth grade year competing against high school competition, he was 274-4 for his career … Attended Tampa Bay Christian as an eighth-grader and won a state title at 112 pounds … A three-time double All-American (Juniors in 2010 and 2011, Cadet in 2009) in Fargo (includes a Junior National Greco-Roman championship at 130 pounds in 2011) … Finished his senior year ranked No. 3 in the country at 138 pounds by Amateur Wrestling News and No. 8 by InterMat … Named to Amateur Wrestling News' All-Academic Team.
Personal: Kevin Austin Norstrem was born October 25, 1993 in Brandon, FL … The son of Timothy and Nancy Norstrem … Has a brother, Kyle … Majoring in finance.

Round of 16 (3rd Championship Round) will be wrestled in this day's session so Giraldo will probably wrestle next match around 2:15-2:30

Josh thanks for all the records on opponents.

Let's Go RU!

This post was edited on 12/29 2:00 PM by LetsGoRUwrestling

Bernard rolls himself into a near fall to start the match. Medbery was just waiting to grab the leg, since he left it out there.

7-0 now. I hope he can last the full three rounds!

Originally posted by josh1728:
awful by Bernard...17-0 with two stalls in 2:45 of first period.
To be honest I thought when RU signed him that we were set for a few years after Smith is gone. Clearly that is not the case and we need to step up the 285 pound recruiting. For what ever reason the HS #1 285 pounder is still unsigned, Michael Johnson Jr (not sure if he is playing football). Unfortunately he lives in Illinois, but I would certainly reach out to him.

Wrestlebacks: Van Brill coming up on Mat 8 versus redshirt freshman Coleman Hammond of Cal State Bakersfield
2013-14 (REDSHIRT): Placed fifth at the Roadrunner Open at 149...posted a 7-6 record
in three open tournaments.

HIGH SCHOOL: A 2013 graduate of
Bakersfield High School...coach was former Bakersfield wrestler Andy
Varner...became the first four-time All-American wrestler in California history
when he placed fourth at the 2013 Senior Nationals...won freshman and sophomore
national championships and was third in Junior Nationals....a four-time first
team All-League selection...a three-time state placewinner including a third
place showing at 152 as a junior and fourth place finish at 152 as a
senior...named team MVP on two occasions...graduated with a 3.5 GPA.

PERSONAL: Born Jan. 9,
1994...son of Ray and Lisa Hammond...an ag business major....brother Bryce is a
member of the wrestling team at CSU Bakersfield...father Ray wrestled at CSUB.

Obrats: Brooks Black went to Illinois, so how about we trade and take their top 285?

Originally posted by LetsGoRUwrestling:
Brooks Black has not looked good at all...He was just beat by the Columbia 285lber.
I think Josh was saying we get Michael Johnson, in which case I say sounds like a great exchange for RU.

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Van Brill loses. Got reversed a bunch. Some good stuff to build on for him, though. He's definitely some nice depth.
Yeah I agree, like what I see from him this year, but maybe just becasse we live in the same county as him. LOL.

Van Brill loses to balance & position problems. We have been scouted for bad position on near tilts. we sit on left hip, and lie down for a pivot. they grab left foot and elevate it giving us terrible defensive problem. but we refuse to stop or adjust. he gave up 6 reversal points, plus 3 to bow and arrow turk at end.
this was frustrating. i believe Van Brill was capable of winning that. His coaching until rutgers never prepared him how to ride top for real. he was his own worst enemy in this match.

Van Brill loses to balance & position problems. We have been scouted for bad position on near tilts. we sit on left hip, and lie down for a pivot. they grab left foot and elevate it giving us terrible defensive problem. but we refuse to stop or adjust. he gave up 6 reversal points, plus 3 to bow and arrow turk at end.
this was frustrating. i believe Van Brill was capable of winning that. His coaching until rutgers never prepared him how to ride top for real. he was his own worst enemy in this match.

I think his two coaches in high school know a little about riding on top. Hopefully they can send us a few more like him. $$$$

This post was edited on 12/29 6:44 PM by dollarbill

Originally posted by dollarbill:

I think his two coaches in high school know a little about riding on top. Hopefully they can send us a few more like him. $$$$

This post was edited on 12/29 6:44 PM by dollarbill
For those not familiar with who Clearview's coach (one of the two) is ...

"What (Clearview's coach) Mourlam has done in the sport is serve as the head coach at
Virginia Tech and Newport News as well as wrestle for Iowa - one of the
marquee programs in Division I - where he was a national finalist and
later served as an assistant under Dan Gable. Mourlam also has extensive
coaching and wrestling experience on the International level."

I'm not saying that makes what Josh said any less correct. I'm sure Van Brill won his fair share of matches based on talent difference. And he's done a great job this year in the tournaments in which he's competed. But he's still got a lot of learning to do. I'm excited to see it.

Clearview's Keith Mourlam

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT