ADVERTISEMENT

Midlands Part III - Anthony Giraldo

josh1728

Senior
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2005
133: Anthony Giraldo is showing toughness in the lower bracket. After a 2 OT loss to #18 Kevin Norstrem (VA Tech) he has bounced back well. He beat Michael Hayes (Old Dominion) and Brance Simms (South Dakota). They are two decent Division I guys that are about even win/loss records. Beating them is a great sign and nice way to bounce back.

Michael Hayes is a junior from Colonial Forge Virginia high schools. He has about 40 wins so far in his collegiate career. Three time place winner in high school state tournaments. In high school he was 123-26.

Brance Simms, a junior, is a third year starter with 40 wins in his career, who was an Iowa State champ, also placing 2nd and 5th in the tournament in high school (Gilmore City).

Giraldo's next match will be #16 ranked Ryan Taylor of Wisconsin. He is a product of St. Paris Graham, powerhouse prep school to the west of Columbus, Ohio.
Taylor got a first round bye, then tech falled his first match (Carlson - No Illinois), then squeaked by Robert Deutsch (Rider) by 4-3. In round four, A.J.Schopp pinned Taylor a minute into the second period

From his U-Wisconsin bio:

2013-14: Wisconsin's starter at 125 lbs. ... 2-2 record at the NCAA Championships ... placed third at the Big Ten Championships with a 3-1 record ... started season unranked but finished regular season at No. 9 (125 lbs.) ... 19-6 overall record on the season... finished 10-3 in dual competition and 5-2 in the Big Ten ... posted first career win over ranked opponent against Ohio State's Nick Roberts (No. 17) on Jan. 10... won the Navy Classic with a 4-0 record (11/23)
2012-13:
Redshirt season ... did not compete.
High School: Competed for four years at St. Paris Graham High School in St. Paris, Ohio ... won three-straight state titles at 120 lbs., in his sophomore, junior and senior seasons for the Falcons ...helped St. Paris Graham to four-straight Div. II Ohio state titles during his high school career.
Personal: Parents are Brian and Missy Taylor ... has one sister, Lizzy (19) ... father Brian wrestled at Ashland University ... hobbies include hunting, archery and fishing ... intends to major in wildlife ecology at UW.
Barry Davis on Taylor: "I think [Ryan] brings a lot of intensity to the room and understands the sport really well. I think he's going to bring a lot of intensity to our lower weight class guys. I like his style, the way he competes on the mat and the way he thinks."
This post was edited on 12/30 9:06 AM by josh1728

Agree that he is showing toughness, but he has to get better on his feet, that being said I also thought he had the TD in overtime against Norstrem. From my former coach eyes (never at this level) there seems to be opportunities for him to be scoring from his feet, I would bet the coaching staff agrees. And as you mentioned before Josh giving up 1 and not 2. Clearly if he puts the time in, in the off season his upside is tremendous.

Now he is in the round of 12, does he have it in him to get on the podium? We shall see.

Giraldo is close to breaking through. Just needs to listen to the coaches and work on his areas of weakness. You can tell he has a world of upside, but it just needs some refinement and tweaking.

Good decision by the staff to red-shirt him.

Giraldo will be on Mat 3. 125 pounds starts at 1pm EST so maybe about 10 minutes after that for Giraldo.

Originally posted by LetsGoRUwrestling:
Looks like Giraldo FF out of tournament. No idea why.
Probably missed weight. RU wrestling tweeted not to long ago how Giraldo will be wrestling today, so it had to have happened in the last hour or so. It is not easy making weight two days in a row(when he finished late last night).

Thats to bad. Would be nice to see him against some of those guys. He got some good matches under his belt though. He need a little more muscle if u ask me but looks awesome on top. Future looks great.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT