ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Elko to Temple Owls: possibly

RUchip

All Conference
Oct 15, 2010
Rumors flying NJ guy Mike Elko (DC) @TAMU who has had top defenses with his last 3 teams could be the next coach for Temple.

DC-Wake-2016
DC-Notre Dame 2017
Texas AM 2018

His D at A&M was pretty good ranked #38 in total defense
Year before his Notre Dame D came in at 46.

Different story at Wake Forrest: 2015 seen the Deacons ranked 116, but moved up to 40 in 2016

Reactions: wcfan10
I am sure Mike wants to be a head coach but this looks like a negotiation tactic by his agent. I do not see Temple paying in the range that would make Mike make the move north. He is being paid a $1.8 million base salary with various kickers that take him north of $2 million. Also Texas has no state income tax.

I am sure Mike wants to be a head coach but this looks like a negotiation tactic by his agent. I do not see Temple paying in the range that would make Mike make the move north. He is being paid a $1.8 million base salary with various kickers that take him north of $2 million. Also Texas has no state income tax.
One poster said Temple paid Collins 2M/yr and could see Temple going up to 2.5M....regardless it would be less about the money and more about becoming a HC and in an area he's from and just a hop skip and a jump away from his home state's university should the need arise and he does well there. [winking] He's a name I've brought up just for HC just being a coordinator but if he can do well as G5 HC well all the better.

One poster said Temple paid Collins 2M/yr and could see Temple going up to 2.5M....regardless it would be less about the money and more about becoming a HC and in an area he's from and just a hop skip and a jump away from his home state's university should the need arise and he does well there. [winking] He's a name I've brought up just for HC just being a coordinator but if he can do well as G5 HC well all the better.
Agreed about Elko wanting to be a head coach. He would be a logical choice for RU to bring in for a thorough check next go around.

I just don't think Temple pays anywhere in that range. Shoot Collins is rumored to be getting paid in the $2.25-2.5 range at Ga Tech. From what I heard that is a sizable step up for Collins.

Agreed about Elko wanting to be a head coach. He would be a logical choice for RU to bring in for a thorough check next go around.

I just don't think Temple pays anywhere in that range. Shoot Collins is rumored to be getting paid in the $2.25-2.5 range at Ga Tech. From what I heard that is a sizable step up for Collins.
Reference to his GT salary. But his Temple salary has also been reported at 2M...5yr/10M contract. So might not be a huge bump in salary but he's from the area IIRC so maybe that's enough of a bump and it's a P5 job too...similar to what I'm saying about Elko even if the bump isn't much at all. Like I say you never know for sure what's in a guy's head.

Excerpts from articles about Collins' salaries at Temple/GT.

The likely annual compensation for new Georgia Tech coach Geoff Collins isn’t much of a surprise. Athletic director Todd Stansbury, asked if it was between $2.5 million and $3 million, told the AJC that “you’ll be in the neighborhood.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-tech-atypically-long/DQnPT6e4KzvwERNjDmZOfP/

According to a source, Collins originally signed a five-year, $10 million contract with Temple.

http://www2.philly.com/college-spor...ple-georgia-tech-football-coach-20181207.html

Reactions: kupuna133
I thought it’s been decided no program should ever hire a DC as their first time HC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT