ADVERTISEMENT

Mike McMahon Coming Back To Rutgers Article

Not exactly a "I'd die for dear old Rutgers" guy or situation. What percentage of alumni, football or not, haven't stepped foot back on the banks once in 15 years since graduation. So gee wiz thanks for the undying support as a pro football player. Now he wants to finish his degree so he can coach. Having a hard time with a few online courses doesn't sound like coach material. Never struck me as a heady player or future coach just a lot of natural ability.

Originally posted by 198hamilton:
Not exactly a "I'd die for dear old Rutgers" guy or situation. What percentage of alumni, football or not, haven't stepped foot back on the banks once in 15 years since graduation. So gee wiz thanks for the undying support as a pro football player. Now he wants to finish his degree so he can coach. Having a hard time with a few online courses doesn't sound like coach material. Never struck me as a heady player or future coach just a lot of natural ability.
I feel the same way. He owes RU nothing but it does seem he's only back because he needs the school now. That said if he can help the program down the road it'll be a win-win for both.

Originally posted by 198hamilton:
I would imagine most of those guys that played those years don't have fond memories of their playing days, so I can't blame him for not wanting to come back and relive those beatings they took.

The guy was the lone bright spot, , I welcome him back.

That's cool he wants to get into coaching. Wishing him all the success in that endeabor. Once a Scarlet knight, always a scarlet knight.

Reactions: ChasRC69
He still say some pretty interesting things...just his personality I suppose. Hope this works out for both sides. Glad to have him around.

PS..put the Red Block R helmets on those uni's and I'd take them over this current crap anyday.

Originally posted by RUFtlauderdale:

best rutgers QB of all time.used to get the crap kicked out of him every game.kid was a winner on some god aweful teams.
He was the one reason we used to go and watch the games, he played hard and did all he could. Best offensive player we had and the sad part until he got hurt Garret Shea was the best defensive player we had. I have both their autographs when they both spoke at a pop warner dinner for my kids. Both very nice and very smart people. I have nothing but respect for them to have played on a team with very little talent and practically no speed. Welcome back Mike good luck

RUQB17 Was another person/player who may or may not want to identify himself. Many of us know who he is however.

Lol. Why did this get bumped?
And I think it was mike Stephans . He also had a suspicious fumble in the spring varsity vs alumni game one year . He was playing for the alums then and the varsity was god awful, going winless the previous season. Stephans fumbled early on and the varsity went on to one of the best performances of Shea era, wiping out the alums.
McMahon was pretty awesome and had the best NFL career of any rutgers quarterback . Easy

Reactions: beaced
Still have a small pack of RU football cards they handed out at game. Includes McMahon, John Ciurciu, Garret Shea, Randy Smith, Wes Roberson, Mahiri Moody, Dennis McCormack and Rich Mazda from the 2006 team

Reactions: TRU2RU
I believe you are thinking of Rob Stephens ... who transferred to RU.
Mike S. , who transferred from the Baseball team.

It took me "Kyle Flood" to realize it lol.

Well with nothing but sports reruns I guess it has spread to here (no pun intended)

As long as somebody doesn’t dig up my Where to find Rutgers Capri pants thread. Not one of my finer ones. :Laughing

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Still have a small pack of RU football cards they handed out at game. Includes McMahon, John Ciurciu, Garret Shea, Randy Smith, Wes Roberson, Mahiri Moody, Dennis McCormack and Rich Mazda from the 2006 team
I have one of them as my avatar. Take a look.

Mike S. , who transferred from the Baseball team.

It took me "Kyle Flood" to realize it lol.

Well with nothing but sports reruns I guess it has spread to here (no pun intended)

Mike Stephans ran a little football clinic with Scott Brunner (at Kean College) in 2008. Those guys were great with the kids.
I spoke to Mikie at that time, he told me (if I remember correctly) Doug Graber didn't want him to play baseball. Shea had no problem with it.
Ironically I found out about the clinic from a post on this board.
If your reading this Mike Thanks again great clinic.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Mike Stephans ran a little football clinic with Scott Brunner (at Kean College) in 2008. Those guys were great with the kids.
I spoke to Mikie at that time, he told me (if I remember correctly) Doug Graber didn't want him to play baseball. Shea had no problem with it.
Ironically I found out about the clinic from a post on this board.
If your reading this Mike Thanks again great clinic.

Nice story . Mike used to post on this board . I remember shea’s first year the quarterbacks were Sacca, valentine and Stephans.

McMahon had the best arm and athleticism of any RU qb since my frosh year at RU in ‘92. It’s a shame that Mike M didn’t get a chance to play under Greg. Those Shea teams he played on were unbelievably bad. Then again he doesn’t come to RU if not for Shea who was like a polar bear placed in the Mojave dessert at RU.

Mike’s issues in the NFL was his poor decision making but the guy had godly talent. I saw him throw a 70 yd pass in practice with little effort.

GO RU

Reactions: JoeRU0304
McMahon had the best arm and athleticism of any RU qb since my frosh year at RU in ‘92. It’s a shame that Mike M didn’t get a chance to play under Greg. Those Shea teams he played on were unbelievably bad. Then again he doesn’t come to RU if not for Shea who was like a polar bear placed in the Mojave dessert at RU.

Mike’s issues in the NFL was his poor decision making but the guy had godly talent. I saw him throw a 70 yd pass in practice with little effort.

GO RU
Yep. He had more talent and athleticism than any QB at RU other than Chris Paul Etienne of course, lol.

GO RU
and he played on a HORRENDOUS Eagles team. Had he only RUN it in (wide open) for the Lions on Thanksgiving vs. that poor overthrown 5 yeard pass for the win!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT