ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Rice article in the NYT

I had no idea he was (co-) coach at the Patrick School. Does this mean we'll never get anyone from there? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Take away the anger management issues, which I believe he's addressing, and the guy can flat out coach. I don't harbor any ill will towards him and hope he succeeds. He will have paid his dues for sure.

It would never happen, but he would be a great hire by Mullin to sit on the bench at St. Johns. Its the kind of job that would be a perfect way back in for Coach Rice. Its not quite a P5 job, and the hire would be protected by a living legend as HC.

Mullin, like Eddie, could use someone who can coach college basketball on his bench.

Last edited:
The Mike Rice fiasco was always overblown. Just an example of the phony outrage lynch mob looking for another victim. In my opinion. Still, Tim P. and others should have seen the warning signs, and managed it better.

Not really sure why Rice would harbor ill will towards Rutgers. 1) He did those things on his own, not because RU made him do it 2) RU didn't fire him right away. They tried to just discipline and move on. It was someone from his own staff who leaked the video to the press that started a fire that couldn't be controlled until it burned him, Pernetti and the school to the ground. If anything he owes us. He ruined my/our school's reputation with his own decisions and actions. Not the other way around.

While I don't agree with that style of coaching, I have witnessed or experienced everything shown in the video. I found it ironic listening to an ESPN TV commentator I had as a coach make negative comments about the situation when he did they same thing. If you take any coaches worst moments and splice them together in a 5 minute film they will come off looking terrible. Was Mike Rice wrong? Definitely. There were warning signs before he was hired and the situation should have been managed better from an RU perspective. People like to criticize Barchi regarding sports but this is the one item he definitely screwed up by not being more proactive, although it is quite possible it was played down by Pernetti giving Barchi the impression no big deal. The blow back on RU is primarily on Pernetti and some on Barchi for mismanaging the entire affair.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
Rice does not engage in anti-Rutgers rhetoric. He has taken responsibility for his flaws and is working hard to improve as an individual and coach. Part of that is not blaming others for the past. He is a good guy who made a mistake and was tarred and feathered for it. He will not be an obstacle if RU recruits his players.

Not really sure why Rice would harbor ill will towards Rutgers. 1) He did those things on his own, not because RU made him do it 2) RU didn't fire him right away. They tried to just discipline and move on. It was someone from his own staff who leaked the video to the press that started a fire that couldn't be controlled until it burned him, Pernetti and the school to the ground. If anything he owes us. He ruined my/our school's reputation with his own decisions and actions. Not the other way around.

dont blame Rice for burning it down, his bosses Pernetti and Barchi should have fired him or then come up with a plan to blunt the videos impact if they planned to keep him. It was the handling of the situation that mades things go from brush fire to an inferno

I wonder when we will stop reading about this kind of stuff.

It happened.It's over.

While I don't agree with that style of coaching, I have witnessed or experienced everything shown in the video. I found it ironic listening to an ESPN TV commentator I had as a coach make negative comments about the situation when he did they same thing. If you take any coaches worst moments and splice them together in a 5 minute film they will come off looking terrible. Was Mike Rice wrong? Definitely. There were warning signs before he was hired and the situation should have been managed better from an RU perspective. People like to criticize Barchi regarding sports but this is the one item he definitely screwed up by not being more proactive, although it is quite possibly it was played down by Pernetti giving Barchi the impression no big deal. The blow back on RU is primarily on Pernetti and some on Barchi for mismanaging the entire affair.

I think more than anything the Mike Rice situation showed us exactly where the line is. Any of us who have played high level sports have seen similar behavior. My favorite text after the incident went public was from a friend who played high D1 basketball. His text said "basketball coaches around the country are burning their practice tapes as we speak".

That incident is the line. Yelling in a kids face isn't the line as we see it every week on a whole bunch of sidelines across the country. The line is a physical action. Rice was the HC who showed every other HC where the line is.

I think more than anything the Mike Rice situation showed us exactly where the line is. Any of us who have played high level sports have seen similar behavior. My favorite text after the incident went public was from a friend who played high D1 basketball. His text said "basketball coaches around the country are burning their practice tapes as we speak".

That incident is the line. Yelling in a kids face isn't the line as we see it every week on a whole bunch of sidelines across the country. The line is a physical action. Rice was the HC who showed every other HC where the line is.
Also, the line has moved over the years.

My line he crossed was making fun of Kone and Biruta for their backgrounds. I can't agree with bdodger and say he was a good guy who made a mistake. In my book he is despicable.

I am NOT on the side of forgiveness. He brought major shame to our program which was in shreds as it was. Bad press, ill will and lawsuits.I agree with Greene Rice FIG above,,,,,I find his actions despicable.

I hope he addresses his anger management issues...but I just wish he has done it BEFORE he hurt our program. If he addresses the issues,,,,,sure,,I hope he does return to coaching and moves on to do good things.

Malick Kone, a player who just announced he is transferring from Rutgers, said he found the practices to be too intense and he didn't like the language Rice used. Malick, who was born in Guinea, said Rice would make fun of how he spoke English and would mock him after Malick would ask for things to be explained.

I would argue that the "line" was getting caught on video tape. It does not make it right, but many other coaches have done the same or worse. The difference is the video tape.

Reactions: newell138
The SNL "Outside the Lines" parody linked to in the story is pretty funny.

I hadn't seen that before - McCarthy was hilarious. And not too far off what Rice was actually like. Rice/Pernetti apologists crack me up. The man was a menace to his players and should've been fired as soon as evidence of his verbal and physical abuse surfaced - maybe that kind of behavior was tolerated 30 years ago, but not today. But Pernetti and Barchi fumbled it all badly, allowing it to become a far bigger story than it ever should've. And Pernetti made the two worst hires in decades in our two most important sports - could never figure out why he got such strong support after that - he set RU back by years.

And Pernetti made the two worst hires in decades in our two most important sports - could never figure out why he got such strong support after that - he set RU back by years.
If you want to blame Tim for the results of those hires, you also have to give him credit for entry into the Big Ten. But I am sure you won't.

If you want to blame Tim for the results of those hires, you also have to give him credit for entry into the Big Ten. But I am sure you won't.

Why would you say that? He gets some credit for closing the deal, but most of the credit for that goes to Schiano and Mulcahy for building an actual football program (which includes facilities and the stadium expansion), which made it clear big time football was not only possible, but achievable, at RU. Everyone knows we almost got the invite well before Tim came along, but then Nebraska became available.

Reactions: RC1978
I would argue that the "line" was getting caught on video tape. It does not make it right, but many other coaches have done the same or worse. The difference is the video tape.

I agree. But do you think the Rice incident changed behavior amongst HCs at the college level? I believe it absolutely has. Which is why I believe the incident, or tape if you want, has as a result defined "the line".

I think if a kid or kids came out and said their HC is firng basketballs at them, unless that coach was K or Izzo or similar, that HC is in trouble. No video needed anymore. Heck Lonergan at GW got fired for seemingly less. But the kids went public, the Washington Post picked up the story, and he was gone.

Why would you say that? He gets some credit for closing the deal, but most of the credit for that goes to Schiano and Mulcahy for building an actual football program (which includes facilities and the stadium expansion), which made it clear big time football was not only possible, but achievable, at RU. Everyone knows we almost got the invite well before Tim came along, but then Nebraska became available.
I don't know about that "everyone knows" stuff, but at least you gave him some credit. My point was to respond to your wondering why anyone supported Tim. There were a lot of reasons, but the Big Ten invite sealed it for many clear-minded people. Without that, Rutgers would be nowhere. For whatever reason, Mulcahy did not get it done, but maybe you think Hermann could have pulled it off. Anyway, you said you did not understand why people supported Tim, and that is why.

The Mike Rice fiasco was always overblown. Just an example of the phony outrage lynch mob looking for another victim. In my opinion. Still, Tim P. and others should have seen the warning signs, and managed it better.

This in a nutshell. Pernetti should have came down harder on the suspension and been prepared for the outcry when the video was released and took control of the situation.

I don't consider Rice to be a bad hire. People seem to forget his fiery attitude is exactly what that program needed. He also could coach.

I agree. But do you think the Rice incident changed behavior amongst HCs at the college level? I believe it absolutely has. Which is why I believe the incident, or tape if you want, has as a result defined "the line".

I think if a kid or kids came out and said their HC is firng basketballs at them, unless that coach was K or Izzo or similar, that HC is in trouble. No video needed anymore. Heck Lonergan at GW got fired for seemingly less. But the kids went public, the Washington Post picked up the story, and he was gone.

Valid point.

Yes, I think the countervailing evidence of Rice controlling his temper and Pernetti proactively managing him was the Tim Higgins end the game before it was over episode in MSG. Pernetti went to Rice before he got to the media room and told him something to the effect that you are going to be on a big stage so play it cool. If you watched that presser you'd never guess Rice was a hot head.

Coach K is known as the foulest-mouthed major college coach, and will sometimes lock his team out of practice after delivering some well-chosen words. Look at how his face scrunches up when he is chewing out a ref. You cannot be an angel and be a successful college coach. They berate, yell, cuss--known as coaching them up. More prevalent in football, where the mindset is supposedly different.
That said, was in Greensboro, circa 1997, watching the NCAA regionals. Duke had a soph or jr that had developed something of a rep for questionable play--made Grayson Allen look like a choirboy by comparison. Not long before halftime, the kid took a really cheap; shot that forced the recipient out of the game. Coach K quietly removed his guy; he didn't play at all the second half, or in the next tournament game, which Duke lost. Some time thereafter, it was announced that the kid would transfer. Have to admire Coach K's way of handling the situation, since the kid was first big off the bench. But would bet you could film snippets of Coach K at practice, and make him out to be an awful bully. Only problem is, Rice crossed the line with his epithets and playing dodgeball with his guys. Wish him well, but that is a lot of baggage a college would have to mull over before making a hire that would generate a ton of negative publicity.
TL

ADVERTISEMENT