ADVERTISEMENT

Missed Game - a few questions

RUboston

All American
Sep 13, 2002
I missed most of the game, had a family obligation. Fortunately as it turns out. 31-0 against a middling Minnesota team must have been excruciating to watch. I only saw the last 8 minutes.

Vedral was in but I see that Wimsatt started.

How did he look?
Did they use him to run at all?
Any throws deep downfield to keep the D honest?

I missed most of the game, had a family obligation. Fortunately as it turns out. 31-0 against a middling Minnesota team must have been excruciating to watch. I only saw the last 8 minutes.

Vedral was in but I see that Wimsatt started.

How did he look?
Did they use him to run at all?
Any throws deep downfield to keep the D honest?
He ran 1 time took a big shot and was out the rest of the game.

He didn't look great but there at least 3 or 4 drops and at least one miscommunication with a receiver, that didnt help him.

Had more zip on the ball that other QBs, but a little high on some balls. His 1 INT he didn't read the safety coming over

Winsapp hit his head hard on the turf and it whipped his head back violently. It would have sent any of us guys to the hospital. He did throw for a couple of 1st downs. He threw the ball away on a play or two which shows he is maturing. And today is his 19th birthday.

And the coaching / playcalling was incredibly creative! Lots of inside runs on first and second down - everyone was shocked - and then my favorite, the incomplete pass play, on obvious third and longs.
Thank God we got rid of Gleason. He must've been the reason for the predictable rushing on 1st and 2nd down play calling.

Thank God we got rid of Gleason. He must've been the reason for the predictable rushing on 1st and 2nd down play calling.
I don't blame Nuzio. Guy should get an award for being a good soldier and doing his best in shitty spots.

But other than adding the end around, literally nothing has changed.

Threw some good balls. Sailed one that would have converted a third down. Three big receiver drops that I remember, one big drop by Alaimo. Got hit after starting his slide on two different plays, the second of which slammed his head into the turf.

They didn't use them much in the RPO, or as a runner. The running game went nowhere without Brown.

Minnesota's back Ibrahim was very difficult to get to the ground on first contact, and always seemed to get that extra yard or two he needed to pick up a first down.

This game definitely gives more support to football being a game of inches, in Minnesota always seemed to have that extra foot or so on play after play.

Reactions: redking
Honestly Gavin had 1 drive where it was clear there’s serious potential there.

Unfortunately it ended because Alaimo dropped a ball because he felt a hit coming. And Long dropped a pass thrown a little behind him, but a legit WR makes the play.

Honestly our QB play has certainly had its struggles over the years, but the inability of our WRs to create separation and make a play has been a serious issue.

Unfortunately it ended because Alaimo dropped a ball because he felt a hit coming. And Long dropped a pass thrown a little behind him, but a legit WR makes the play.

Honestly our QB play has certainly had its struggles over the years, but the inability of our WRs to create separation and make a play has been a serious issue.
The alaimo drop was embarrassing.

Then call some plays to help them. Run routes, mesh routes, screens.

Impressive internet muscles. Tell us about some of the bigger D1 Football hits you have taken.
He played OL in college. There was nobody close enough to hit Alaimo when he caught the ball, which was right in his breadbasket. Yet there are threads criticizing Gavin Wimsatt. At least 5 easily catchable balls dropped. Decent WRs and TEs, and he is 11/17 instead of 6/17. Yeah - coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Winsapp hit his head hard on the turf and it whipped his head back violently. It would have sent any of us guys to the hospital. He did throw for a couple of 1st downs. He threw the ball away on a play or two which shows he is maturing. And today is his 19th birthday.

"Winsapp"?

WTF is wrong with our fan base that they don't know the names of the players. This happens a lot. It's a little embarrassing.

Reactions: Jimpeg
"Winsapp"?

WTF is wrong with our fan base that they don't know the names of the players. This happens a lot. It's a little embarrassing.
I post so much using voice to text on my phone that I generally forgive spellings of names these days. My phone screws up words (and especially names) all the time. And I don't always read through it all thoroughly to check before posting, though I should.

Threw some good balls. Sailed one that would have converted a third down. Three big receiver drops that I remember, one big drop by Alaimo. Got hit after starting his slide on two different plays, the second of which slammed his head into the turf.

They didn't use them much in the RPO, or as a runner. The running game went nowhere without Brown.

Minnesota's back Ibrahim was very difficult to get to the ground on first contact, and always seemed to get that extra yard or two he needed to pick up a first down.

This game definitely gives more support to football being a game of inches, in Minnesota always seemed to have that extra foot or so on play after play.
This. Minnesota played ground and pound with a great back and a solid D. Once they got the lead I knew we were pretty much done. That’s a team that if we get a lead on then we have a chance. They did to us what we want to do to other teams. Best player on the field was Ibrahim.

Gavin has potential. We can blame him or the WR’s or whoever we want but the fact is Offense as a whole did nothing and the D couldn’t get off the field when we had many chances to get off the field.

Reactions: RUChoppin
does you cable company not offer recording? i have an old vhs that i can give you for free if your desire is to record games that you missed to relive the agony...

This. Minnesota played ground and pound with a great back and a solid D. Once they got the lead I knew we were pretty much done. That’s a team that if we get a lead on then we have a chance. They did to us what we want to do to other teams. Best player on the field was Ibrahim.

Gavin has potential. We can blame him or the WR’s or whoever we want but the fact is Offense as a whole did nothing and the D couldn’t get off the field when we had many chances to get off the field.

Wimsatt wasn't the problem yesterday, imo. We had no push on the OLine to get any yards on the ground, and the defense really struggled to get Ibrahim down on first contact or to get into the backfield on pass plays.

If the WRs had caught the ball, we might have at least gotten on the board - but needed more pieces to fall into place on the OLine and defensive front seven to make that game competitive.

Absolutely. The kid cringed and braced himself for the hit instead of securing the catch. When I saw it in slow motion all I could say was, "what a pussy".
Yes, at least in the iowa game Youngblood was drilled . This guy dropped the ball without even being hit ! Hard to root for a team that does that

Wimsatt wasn't the problem yesterday, imo. We had no push on the OLine to get any yards on the ground, and the defense really struggled to get Ibrahim down on first contact or to get into the backfield on pass plays.

If the WRs had caught the ball, we might have at least gotten on the board - but needed more pieces to fall into place on the OLine and defensive front seven to make that game competitive.
What is the deal with the OL? They were supposed to be better and at least average. They stink

The whole team stunk yesterday except maybe #94. Be glad you could not watch, The only positive was that Minnesota ran the ball so well that it was a quick watch via the DVR. I would try to find a competing activity next Saturday evening as well.

I post so much using voice to text on my phone that I generally forgive spellings of names these days. My phone screws up words (and especially names) all the time. And I don't always read through it all thoroughly to check before posting, though I should.

Whoa. You post using voice to text?
Didn't even realize you could.
Wouldn't even know how to do it.

I don't even use it for texting.
(I'm a 78 year old man in a 38 year old body haha).

• Haha
Reactions: RUChoppin
Whoa. You post using voice to text?
Didn't even realize you could.
Wouldn't even know how to do it.

I don't even use it for texting.
(I'm a 78 year old man in a 38 year old body haha).
I use it all the time. It's just a little microphone on the phone keyboard. Way faster than swiping on the keyboard, and generally more accurate. It really struggles with proper nouns, though, and you have to call out your punctuation usually.

I'm on a Google Pixel, though, so I don't know whether it works the same way on other phones.

• Wow
Reactions: NickRU714
He played OL in college. There was nobody close enough to hit Alaimo when he caught the ball, which was right in his breadbasket. Yet there are threads criticizing Gavin Wimsatt. At least 5 easily catchable balls dropped. Decent WRs and TEs, and he is 11/17 instead of 6/17. Yeah - coulda, shoulda, woulda.
Which is why it's hard to recruit a true blue chip QB with other options to come here, or keep the ones we have when they develop for that matter. Those guys want to be assured there's guys in place that are going to catch the ball or else their stats are going to look deceptively bad. Blue chippers aren't coming here to "Rep the Jerz"....LOL

ADVERTISEMENT