ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Time Change

rutgers211

Freshman
Oct 4, 2011
Don't know if anyone else saw but the Men's Lacrosse game against UVA tomorrow got changed from 1pm to Noon.

That's a joke..right! I guess someone must be figuring that it will be 3 degrees warmer at noon. To play in severe below freezing temperatures is plain ridiculous and just asking for season ending injuries to occur. This isn't ice hockey. The season starts too early.

They did this for the women last week they changed the game time based on the forecast that it is going to snow today. Unfortunately they can't control the temperature and this is when the season starts now!!!

No Ticj...uou try to reschedule at an agreeable date. US it worth the risk of injury znd ot also bring too cold to really play it to play in dnor. The game wasn't meant to be plated in conditions like that or on ice which a turf field would tend to be like. Think man! Would you want to play on conditions like that or to br on the sidelines freezing uou butt and fingers off or have your son or daughter play in similar conditions. Then their is thr question of safety liability.

The time is fine. No one is getting injured because of the temperature.

Our shooting is horrific.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

The time is fine. No one is getting injured because of the temperature.

Our shooting is horrific.
Yea Luckily no one is getting injured in the multiple games I have been watching on line but you cant tell me this weather especially when its snowing doesn't effect the way they play. Most of the games I am watching the players cant stop or cut and just slip and fall down. The North Carolina at Hopkins game in Baltimore starting now is going to be a mess between 2 top 10 teams. Tell me again about who has indoor facilities to play a game.....

Watched the whole RU game and I didn't see anyone slipping. The commentator even stated such. Football is played in inclement weather. Not sure why some people are so up in arms about it. I haven't seen one stick break, one kid hurt because of it or any real reason not to play these games. More importantly, it isn't going to stop, so it is time to accept it if you haven't.

I am more concerned about the team. Our shooting isn't good. We are making these goalies look all world. Some of it is good play, a lot of it is kids just flat out missing opportunities. Compare that to Uva who was burying shots hands free or not and it is a drastic difference. I bet the stats, outside of the only one that counts, aren't drastically different besides shooting percentage.

The D played a little better today, even though the score doesn't reflect it. We gave up some soft goals and had one we put in ourselves, but overall it was slightly better than last week. Must be a bit demoralizing for the D to sit back and watch the opposing goal look like it has a lid on it, though the O may look across the line and question the D. We need to outscore teams because we aren't going to win with D right now, and our O isn't close. Very little ball movement and lots of standing around. Beyond that, we simply must stop giving up goals at the end of every quarter. It happens every game I have seen in every quarter. Not sure how fast they can get it together but it needs to happen quick. Surprising is the lack of tempo. Coach Brecht wants to play faster and the kids don't seem to want to, which is odd. Some of it was Uva sitting in a zone all game, but some of it was us not pushing when we had our opportunities. Baffling.

Faceoff position is no longer a spot where we will dominate. Looks like the new rules have had a very adverse effect for us. Lastly, our extra man offense needs to scrapped and rebuilt. I don't believe we have scored a goal from it yet. We had Uva's back up goalie in during a blizzard and fail to even get a shot. That is not acceptable.

On the bright side, thought we competed well on groundballs and were physical when the opportunities presented themselves. Not much else to say about the team at this point other than they have a lot of work to do. The season is young but we are playing lots of freshmen and sophs. Hopefully the older guys can keep them working together.

Cali -- my last 2 trips to HBSS -- Wisconsin football in the wind and rain and today. Yes, it was cold. But people were in a good mood because the flurries added a scenic touch and no one expected RU to do much. They were right. Just completely overmatched. It will be interesting to see if UVa is that good or if RU is that bad. At this point I don't know if we learned anything today. My impression was that UVa had a nasty D and the Rutgers kids cowered a little bit. The RU staff was more animated than 90% of their players after the first 10 minutes or so. The boys better win ... big ... and the goalie needs to start making a few saves against Wagner next week or it will be a really long season.

Agree with some of it. Not sure what is going on, I don't think the kids cowered so much as they didn't work together as a team. Way too much one on one stuff and standing around, especially against a zone. Looking forward to seeing the shooting stats. That will be the story to me. We missed a ton, many of them good looks. One player in particular, I won't say names, but the kid gets right in front of the cage and continually misses. It is uncanny. We need more out of the goalie and faceoff spot. These are to be strengths for us and up until this point, they haven't been.

Uva has been recruiting very well for 20 years. Where it really showed to me was shooting. Good/great teams have sharpshooters everywhere. Their guy Williams was scoring goals with guys on his hands. Forget about when they have time and space. It's lights out. We shot much better last year. Losing Klimchak hurt in this department, but this needs to be rectified or we won't be beating anyone. Uva is good. Very good, but we did ourselves no favors. Our offense scored 4 goals (the 5th was a longpole unsettled). 6.3 goal scoring average isn't going to win many games, especially with two new close D guys.

Hate to say it this early in the season, but these next two are must win games. One at a time though.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

Uva has been recruiting very well for 20 years. Where it really showed to me was shooting. Good/great teams have sharpshooters everywhere.
This is really it right here. Most decent D1 team have middies that can run, long, athletic defensemen that can carry and attackmen that can dodge and feed. The difference between the good and elite teams is shooting. The top teams have sharpshooters at midfield and attack. This changes the game in so many ways. When you have guys that just need to get their hands free and can rip with accuracy, it completely changes the way you have to defend them. You have to play up on them and guard them further out which opens up more room to dodge and/or you have to slide earlier which leaves wide open looks inside.

Watched the most of the 4th quarter against Wagner. I didn't see them score any goals, but I saw us score 3. Looks like the book on beating Rutgers is the blueprint that Uva used, which is just sit in the zone.

Looking forward to seeing the stats on this one. We missed some good looks that I saw, but also scored 3. Freshman Chad Toliver had 2 rips.

Speaking of rips, they need a bunch more rbled's out there!

ADVERTISEMENT