ADVERTISEMENT

MLAX Tourney

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
You all seeing what Penn St is doing to what was a previous number 1 team?

Juggernaut.

They destroyed Loyola. First team since 90 Syracuse team to score 20 goals or more in back to back playoff games.

If they go on to win it, it’s a historic offense. There is only one way to beat that team. Face off wins.

Penn-Yale has been a great game. Actually 3 excellent games and a blowout. But you're right, the only way PSU loses is if they get an 80% FOGO opponent.

Juggernaut.

They destroyed Loyola. First team since 90 Syracuse team to score 20 goals or more in back to back playoff games.

If they go on to win it, it’s a historic offense. There is only one way to beat that team. Face off wins.
They don't seem great on defense. Win face offs and outscore them.

They aren’t great on D but they are more than adequate. They play a high risk style which leaves them somewhat vulnerable but that’s by design. It’s all centered around creating more chances for their offense. Their D is talented though. Very athletic and their shortsticks get after it. Their O will keep coaches sleepless. It’s like watching the Globetrotters.

Their toughest matchup is next game. Yale has the best fogo in lacrosse, which is the only way to contain this team.

They aren’t great on D but they are more than adequate. They play a high risk style which leaves them somewhat vulnerable but that’s by design. It’s all centered around creating more chances for their offense. Their D is talented though. Very athletic and their shortsticks get after it. Their O will keep coaches sleepless. It’s like watching the Globetrotters.

Their toughest matchup is next game. Yale has the best fogo in lacrosse, which is the only way to contain this team.
Hopkins almost got it done in the B1G championship game. A break here or there and they would have won

Hopkins was on the tournment bubble. Get blown out and Cornell was in. The shame of this is that this should be the matchup for the championship.

Was out at Hofstra Saturday-------opener had 2 of the worst calls I ever saw.

The goal that tied it by UVA with a minute to go just wasn't a goal-----not a chance. We didn't have a great view from our seats but I can tell you no one in the stadium realized it was called a goal.

Md got a great call on one of Bernhardt's goals-----he was in the middle of the crease when he let it go.

As usual it comes down to Faceoffs-----Terps lost 9 of the last 10. Probably tried to put it in the icebox too early.

We had our chances to win it late against the Dukies but didn't finish and the kid hits a great shot with 5 seconds on the clock in OT.

The goal that tied it by UVA with a minute to go just wasn't a goal-----not a chance. We didn't have a great view from our seats but I can tell you no one in the stadium realized it was called a goal.

That reminds me of the 2013 NCAA soccer finals, (Maryland vs. (ironically) champion Notre Dame. I was at that game, in Chester, PA. I don't believe anybody in that stadium had any idea about that weird play in which TWO handballs (one by each team) had gone uncalled. Sometimes the people at the game are the last to know!

Saw the replay of the non goal by VA. Unbelievable. Hit the pipe and came straight back. Dont know what refs were thinking. MD got screwed. They need replay and challenges.

Saw the replay of the non goal by VA. Unbelievable. Hit the pipe and came straight back. Dont know what refs were thinking. MD got screwed. They need replay and challenges.

It was a bad call, but as a Terp fan I feel even worse about how our team went into a shell for most of the last quarter. They took zero shots in the last ten minutes. We apparently also got a goal in the first half where the shooter had a toe on the crease line which should not have counted.

Apparently, on the fourth quarter goal, the ref saw the net move the way it usually does on a goal because the crossbar was hit by a heavy object travelling at a billion miles per hour), and immediately signaled goal even though the other ref was signaling that the shot clock should be reset (i.e., not a goal). I thought the protocol was for the referees to agree first, but whatever.

I was in my Atlantic City attic installing a bathroom exhaust fan and following the game on Twitter (I find that I can't enjoy sitting and watching these high-stakes games anymore, too wimpy) so all I knew at the time was that Virginia scored (again)...

ETA: our arch-rivals across the Potomac are loving it, of course. The good news is that it looks like this series will be renewed starting next year. Slowly (except for Duke) our old conference mates are starting to get over their feelings about our defection, which didn't go over well at all.

Last edited:
Not being argumentative but crease violation calls can be hard to see and in real time difficult to call. When the ball comes straight out and you hear a loud clank, there is no excuse for that call.

Reactions: Caliknight
Not being argumentative but crease violation calls can be hard to see and in real time difficult to call. When the ball comes straight out and you hear a loud clank, there is no excuse for that call.

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just trying not to be a whiner. After the final play of the 1980 ACC Championship (Duke over Maryland) I've learned not to get upset about calls because it's unhealthy and isn't a good look anyway.

Didn’t watch those games but did see those calls.

1) Crease violations are missed often. We lost to Hop last year on clear clock violation called goal. Those things happen.

2) The crossbar called goal is outrageous. Never before in all my years of watching lacrosse have I seen that called a called. It’s an egregious error.

Yeah, I agree completely. I'm just trying not to be a whiner. After the final play of the 1980 ACC Championship (Duke over Maryland) I've learned not to get upset about calls because it's unhealthy and isn't a good look anyway.

You're not talking about 1980 lacrosse, are you? Back then Duke was, being charitable, highly mediocre.

Didn’t watch those games but did see those calls.

1) Crease violations are missed often. We lost to Hop last year on clear clock violation called goal. Those things happen.

2) The crossbar called goal is outrageous. Never before in all my years of watching lacrosse have I seen that called a called. It’s an egregious error.
Anyone have video of the goal? I couldn’t find anything online.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT