ADVERTISEMENT

Momentum of sports at RU

PhilaPhans

Best Poster Ever!
Apr 23, 2005
Gibbstown, NJ
Respond to this post by copying the teams and putting a "+", "-", or "?" next to them. A plus sign indicates that you think the team is on the upswing. A minus sign indicates that the team is spiraling in a downward direction, or at least that you don't believe that there's a lot of potential there under the current roster/coaching staff/recruits. A question mark indicates you know nothing about the team at all. Feel free to include comments, of course.

I'm curious on where all of our sports programs stand at this point in your minds.

--Men's Sports--
Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Lacrosse
Soccer
Track & Field
Wrestling

--Women's Sports--
Basketball
Cross Country
Field Hockey
Golf
Gymnastics
Lacrosse
Rowing
Soccer
Softball
Swimming & Diving
Tennis
Track & Field
Volleyball

Good thread idea. I'd love to hear from those who know more about these non-revenue sports. For me, I've definitely noticed the less-than-stellar starts from men's and women's lacrosse.

The women won their opening game against Villanova and have since lost 7 straight to the likes of Fairfield, Monmouth, and James Madison. Literally all of our contributors are upperclassmen so it doesn't seem like we will be seeing much improvement anytime soon. Definitely a -.

The men are in a little better shape with a lot more young contributors. I expected a better start but based on recruiting and the young contributors I'd have them as a +.

Some other sports that I know a little about are men's and women's soccer. Men's soccer had only one senior last year and a lot of freshman and sophomores playing but haven't been recruiting the academies as well as they should, so I'd have them as neutral.

Women's soccer had a solid year last year and has a lot of young talent already on the team as well as committed so they're a definite +.

I guess we can go away from the +/-/? part of it, but yeah, some detail is important then.

GYMNASTICS -- Definitely a +, BUT, like wrestling, they're in a monster conference. They scored a 194+ this past meet and were still 2-3 points behind the other four B1G programs they went up against. And they lose a few top scorers after this year.

BUT, this is what we're looking at:

TOP TEAM SCORES EVER FOR RU
196.225 - March 8, 2014
195.975 - March 2, 2013
195.825 - March 1, 2014*
195.500 - March 8, 2013*
195.400 - Feb. 26, 2000
195.375 - Jan. 24, 2015
195.275 - Jan. 19, 2014*
195.275 - March 22, 2014*
195.250 - Jan. 17, 2014*
195.200 - March 7, 2015
195.125 - March 1, 2000
195.075 - Jan. 11, 2014

Look how many of these top scores ever occurred in the last couple of years. Things are going in the right direction, but they'll need to take the next step to get a team full of girls that can push the team to consistently get in the 196s.

ADVERTISEMENT