ADVERTISEMENT

Mon Dec 26 Bowl Games Thread , Ohio v Miss ST on now, Maryland v BC 2:30, NC St v Vandy 5pm

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
WHO: Miami of Ohio (6-6) vs. Mississippi State (5-7)
WHAT: The 9th St. Petersburg Bowl
WHERE: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida
WHEN: 11 a.m. ET on ESPN
THE SKINNY: Mississippi State is the first of two 5-7 teams — and the second of three with sub-.500 records — that qualified for a bowl game this season to take the field. Their reward? Becoming the first SEC school to play in this particular game, and just the second Power Five team (North Carolina State, 2014). The Bulldogs are making their seventh consecutive postseason after going bowl-less in Dan Mullens‘ first season in 2009, and are looking to push their record in bowl games to 5-2. Miami of Ohio comes in making some history, becoming the first team ever to start the season 0-6 and still become bowl-eligible. They’re also appearing in their first bowl game since the 2010 season. RedHawks quarterback Gus Ragland has seemingly been the linchpin of this remarkable turnaround, becoming the starter at midseason and guiding the team to a 6-0 close to the regular season, tossing 15 touchdowns and zero interceptions in the process. MSU, it should be noted, was 34th nationally in passes intercepted, returning three of those for touchdowns. Ragland’s counterpart, at least from my perspective, is the player to watch. Faced with the unenviable task of replacing MSU legend and NFL rookie sensation Dak Prescott, Nick Fitzgerald has been borderline sensational, leading the Bulldogs in rushing (1,243 yards, 14 touchdowns) and sporting a passer rating that was eighth in the SEC in the sophomore’s first year as a starter. After throwing nine interceptions his first nine games, he threw just one his last three (vs. Alabama, Arkansas, Ole Miss) while tossing five of his 21 touchdowns in that same span. A breakout performance by Fitzgerald in this game could give the young signal-caller an additional boost of confidence and portend even better things for the Bulldogs’ offense in 2017.
THE LINE: Miami of Ohio, +14
THE PREDICTION: Mississippi State 48, Miami of Ohio 17

WHO: Maryland (6-6) vs. Boston College (6-6)
WHAT: The 3rd Quick Lane Bowl
WHEN: 2:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
WHERE: Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan
THE LINE: Boston College, +1
For the remainder of an extended preview, click HERE.

WHO: North Carolina State (6-6) vs. Vanderbilt (6-6)
WHAT: The 41st Camping World Independence Bowl
WHEN: December 26, 5 p.m. ET on ESPN2
WHERE: Independence Stadium, Shreveport, LA
THE LINE: Vanderbilt, +4
For the remainder of an extended preview, click HERE.

I am going to root for Miami(OH), Maryland and I guess Vanderbilt over ACC school. Big 4th down conversion for Miami.

I am going to root for Miami(OH), Maryland and I guess Vanderbilt over ACC school. Big 4th down conversion for Miami.

Same here. Always liked Frank Solich (HC Ohio), a Maryland win good for the Big10, Vandy the underdog. Although Maryland winning helps them w recruiting a tiny bit.

Should be rooting for BC. Nobody considered Maryland(like us) / real B1G team so loss won't matter. Keep addazio in BC as long as possible.

I can see your point. RU needs help more than the image/perception of the Big 10; without a doubt that is true.

Reactions: RUonBrain and vkj91
Wonder how the crowd will be in Detroit this afternoon.
Was there exactly 2 years ago for the RU blowout of UNC. ( score was 40-0 at one point I think).
Not a great crowd then, but probably more than we will see today.

Was there exactly 2 years ago for the RU blowout of UNC. ( score was 40-0 at one point I think).

Day after Xmas + MD/BC will be ugggggly. Id be shocked if more than 10k.

Considering you have to fly out on Christmas to get to this bowl I didn't think our turnout was bad.

Miss St scores right before the half, 9-7 Ohio up at halftime.

Miss St coached by Dan Mullens, I'm a little surprised he didn't move on from Miss St when the iron was hot. I'm not surprised Frank Solich is having a lot of success at Ohio nor that he is not moving on, I guess this is his last stop.

Last edited:
I can see your point. RU needs help more than the image/perception of the Big 10; without a doubt that is true.
BIG perception this bowl season is going to be based on 4 teams. Maybe 5 because of Western Michigan being undefeated.
Look at SEC, would MSU losing to Miami of Ohio today be big anywhere but chat rooms?

Miss St coached by Dan Mullens, I'm a little surprised he didn't move on from Miss St when the iron was hot. I'm not surprised Frank Solich is having a lot of success at Ohio nor that he is moving on, I guess this is his last stop.
Mullen had had many opportunities but none were great. He has used those changes to continually leverage MSU for more money for both he and his coaches.

Should be rooting for BC. Nobody considered Maryland(like us) / real B1G team so loss won't matter. Keep addazio in BC as long as possible.
I am torn also on the BC vs Maryland game but see the argument to root for BC. I am probably still going to root for the BIG team.

Mysteries of the world: in this day of high tech artificial turf, why is the field in St Petersburg consistently the worst looking one I have ever seen? Every other artifical looks like grass. The Trops always looks like some ragged old piece of crud.

Considering you have to fly out on Christmas to get to this bowl I didn't think our turnout was bad.
We flew out Day of. NFL stadium. Walked from hotel to stadium. A lot more fun than Yankee Stadium crap.

BC might have 350 fans in Detroit. The midwest isn't exactly a "hotbed" of Chestnut Hill alumni and travelling on Christmas isn't going to help potential attendance IMHO.

Miss St coached by Dan Mullens, I'm a little surprised he didn't move on from Miss St when the iron was hot. I'm not surprised Frank Solich is having a lot of success at Ohio nor that he is not moving on, I guess this is his last stop.

You see to be confusing Miami (OH) with Ohio U.

Reactions: vkj91
I have seen some bad coaching decisions in my life but not kicking a field goal by the Miss st coach and trying to get a first down with the backup quarterback cold off the bench ranks right up there.

I'll take the Miami )OH) QB, and OC any day. Plus throw in the who teaches tackling. They are YONNG and going to be really good. Ohio Football is solid.

I thought Ohio U. already played in its bowl game. But it is hard to believe that Miami of Ohio is actually in a bowl. It has been a long dry spell for them.

As for the St. Petersburg Bowl, it's nice to see them get their name back. I don't understand the comment that Mississippi St. is just the second P5 team to play in the bowl. Both Rutgers and Louisville played there during the BE days and are P5 schools. There may have been one other play there as well.

As for the St. Petersburg Bowl, it's nice to see them get their name back. I don't understand the comment that Mississippi St. is just the second P5 team to play in the bowl. Both Rutgers and Louisville played there during the BE days and are P5 schools. There may have been one other play there as well.
can't be the Power5 with 6 conferences!

Exactly.
We represented very well with nearly 5,000 RU fans the day after Christmas in Detroit.

My big bowl game was yesterday, Steelers against the Ravens, and had a fortuitous outcome.

:grimace:Maryland QB Hill has missed some wide open receivers today.
Needs to get on track quickly.

I can't believe Bell wants to go to Maryland more than RU. Ridiculous. No fan support, they are out of state and they are just as bad as us.

Reactions: Knight Shift
How did we lose to Maryland?? We had the running backs to do exactly what BC is doing?
Drew set this program back a year.

I can't believe Bell wants to go to Maryland more than RU. Ridiculous. No fan support, they are out of state and they are just as bad as us.

Horrible - PUTRID - fan support at this game, from both sides, but not unexpected. Maybe 5,000 total in the stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT