ADVERTISEMENT

Montez - between Clemson and St Johns

Kinda wanna see him on the johnnies. Really like the johnnies coach, he’ll make it work.

St johns might be a good spot for him. Playing time and not to far from where he's been the last 3 years

I still think Montez Mathis got a raw deal. Picking St.Johns really? Picking Clemson really? Should still be here in my opinion.

Why is it a raw deal? He doesn’t want to be here. Jacob was better, Paul was better, Ron was better, geo was better. All four were more dependable. He played 21 minutes a game. With 4 guys in front of him. Not sure what he expected.

Leaving Rutgers for St. John’s or Clemson is not only flawed from an academic perspective but also now an athletic perspective. His family should be doing a better job counseling him. Leave Rutgers fine but you at least better upgrade academics or athletics.

The best thing for Montez would have been to work his ass off this summer on his shot and then play under control and he would play 35 minutes a game next year.

Why is it a raw deal? He doesn’t want to be here. Jacob was better, Paul was better, Ron was better, geo was better. All four were more dependable. He played 21 minutes a game. With 4 guys in front of him. Not sure what he expected.

Leaving Rutgers for St. John’s or Clemson is not only flawed from an academic perspective but also now an athletic perspective. His family should be doing a better job counseling him. Leave Rutgers fine but you at least better upgrade academics or athletics.

The best thing for Montez would have been to work his ass off this summer on his shot and then play under control and he would play 35 minutes a game next year.

Clemson is highly rated academically; not a drop-off from RU (or not much of a drop off). DK know about academics at St. John's.

Reactions: King of S

Hes in a better position at st johns than RU imo.

Clemson is highly rated academically; not a drop-off from RU (or not much of a drop off). DK know about academics at St. John's.
Not sure where you are getting your data but what I see from rankings Clemson is not close to being on par with Rutgers. My experience with their grads would confirm that. St John’s certainly is not. Perhaps he really wants to continue playing in a P6 conference and these are his choices

Not sure where you are getting your data but what I see from rankings Clemson is not close to being on par with Rutgers. My experience with their grads would confirm that. St John’s certainly is not. Perhaps he really wants to continue playing in a P6 conference and these are his choices
If anyone thinks 99% of college athletes care about academic rankings by US News youre kidding yourself haha. Keep in mind hes not exactly majoring in engineering or pharmacy. The education therefore will be the same at all 3 schools

Pike brought in some guys to replace him and Young,so no worries..oh wait....

Correction....Geo and Paul were better in our stagnant, perimeter offense. And they were not better defenders.

If I’m starting a team I’m taking Mathis over those guys.

Myles was a good fit, Montez not. Talent and fit aren’t the same thing.

I still think Montez Mathis got a raw deal. Picking St.Johns really? Picking Clemson really? Should still be here in my opinion.

Raw deal? I like Montez as a defender, and when he was under control, which was too infrequent last season, he could be an effective scorer. However, he couldn't put the ball in the ocean from near the tin or from range for a large stretch of last season. It was actually uncomfortable to watch what must have been some kind of confidence issue play out on the court. Not to mention, his free throw shooting percentage is awful.

He simply didn't deserve to play any more than he did last season and he was not the recipient of a raw deal IMO.

If anyone thinks 99% of college athletes care about academic rankings by US News youre kidding yourself haha. Keep in mind hes not exactly majoring in engineering or pharmacy. The education therefore will be the same at all 3 schools
How do you know he or his family don’t care? Coaches make a point of stating what you can do after sports with a degree from schools. My cousin plays football at Rutgers. I can assure you when he was deciding what he was going to do after football mattered and what school he would attend. He chose RU over schools like West Virginia. It mattered. Oh, he started for Rutgers

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Frankly I like Mathis, but if I were him I would have left too. He didn’t fit the scheme at all.

I agree with you except for leaving RU for athletics being flawed. He did the right thing. He regressed in Pike’s “system” and some players around him got better and he did not. He’s the same Mathis that he was two years ago. He didn’t even try to find the open man or try to shoot any pull up jumpers. Just head down and go. What makes anyone think that would change? I’m not saying he couldn’t help next year, but he wouldn’t be doing himself any favors by staying.

Exactly. He had plenty of opportunity to jump ahead of the guys in from of him but didn’t. With that being said, he was my favorite dunker on the team this year

Correction....Geo and Paul were better in our stagnant, perimeter offense. And they were not better defenders.

If I’m starting a team I’m taking Mathis over those guys.

Myles was a good fit, Montez not. Talent and fit aren’t the same thing.

Did you watch the games?

Yes I did. Fish out of water. Sure he forced shots but what people don’t realize is that as a backup his unit usually only had 1 or 2 guys with any potential to score. He often had tj force it. Montez needs ball movement and flow. We don’t do that.

Ken...Rutgers used to have an online alumni database.

At some point i looked up the all the past players and hardly any who had significant playing time graduated.

Unless something has changed with college basketball It’s not a stretch to say most players don’t care about academics.

No raw deal. He played too much at end of season IMO. Very frustrating style. Pike May told him to look elsewhere if he wants more playing time

Yea he should but if I was a top 25 scorer in the big 10 and helping make us a number 11 team in the nation.... then you get benched.. would you stay?

Reactions: RUsojo
I agree with you except for leaving RU for athletics being flawed. He did the right thing. He regressed in Pike’s “system” and some players around him got better and he did not. He’s the same Mathis that he was two years ago. He didn’t even try to find the open man or try to shoot any pull up jumpers. Just head down and go. What makes anyone think that would change? I’m not saying he couldn’t help next year, but he wouldn’t be doing himself any favors by staying
That's my point. All he had to do was improve his outside shot and not "put his head down and go." If he did these two things he would start and play 35 minutes per game.

I am not saying he would change. I am saying if he wanted more playing time on a n NCAA tournement team that is all he has to do.

When the bell was Paul ever better than Montez

Reactions: seneca ave
Yea he should but if I was a top 25 scorer in the big 10 and helping make us a number 11 team in the nation.... then you get benched.. would you stay?

Bingo. Hope he ends up at St. John’s would be a better fit than Clemson.

Yes I did. Fish out of water. Sure he forced shots but what people don’t realize is that as a backup his unit usually only had 1 or 2 guys with any potential to score. He often had tj force it. Montez needs ball movement and flow. We don’t do that.

Ken...Rutgers used to have an online alumni database.
At some point i looked up the all the past players and hardly any who had significant playing time graduated.

Unless something has changed with college basketball It’s not a stretch to say most players don’t care about academics.
Thanks for that. Looking at the roster and portal world we live in it appears many more are getting their degree. My gut says most on last years team will end up getting their degree here or somewhere else including Tez

Mathis can't handle the ball and is reliant on others to set him up to score in half court. He doesn't bring the ball up the court and is a traditional SG.....the program as mentioned here that will hide his flaws, is clearly St John's.

B1G basketball requires guard play to be complete on the offensive end of the court (dribble or be able to handle the ball, pass, shoot and score) Mathis has tools to work with but it is difficult to develop a true left hand, full arsenal of dribbling skills and have that compliment his athletic abilities.

Clemson would be getting a similar player that departed in Clyde Trapp, who transferred out. Clemson, similar to RU, has some guards that can help set up Mathis for his 3 point shot, which I would imagine gets better next year.

At St John's, Greg Williams is headed back down south and the Johnnies are never short on athletes. Without knowing who the other schools were with interest, he can get to double figures at St John's much easier. I'd be shocked if he didn't pick them.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
When the bell was Paul ever better than Montez

Better is defined as more complete or more flexibility to play multiple positions. Mulcahy can bring up the ball, initiate the offense, make passes to the post etc.....Mathis is the superior defender.

There are fits for what the B1G requires and Mulcahy is a better fit for 20 to 22 B1G games than what Mathis brings to the table. If St John's and their style of play had a choice, they would select Mathis 10 out of 10 times.....different style, little to no offense run....more AAU up tempo style.

Same applies to Caleb, you have to recruit to what wins and what the majority of your schedule requires you to compete against

We have Jaden Jones who will prove to be a better fit, in this style of play, the league we play in, and the tempo. Jones is a player who will not be sped up, because of the pace of the game and can score on all 3 levels. And Jones, like all of the returning guards, can handle the ball late, if they're fouled and have to shoot FTS......Mathis cut his own minutes down as his RU career moved forward, even in you wanted to play him later in games, he's a liability at the FT line.

This is not an exact comparison but Eugene was a better player stat-wise than Akwasi Yeboah was at RU....Yeboah was the better player and fit for RU and this is a similar situation of understanding what the roster needs. Mathis is best suited in an up tempo, transition offense and a game where he can gamble for steals in the passing lanes, where he can get out for dunks and layups. Those are fewer and less likely in the B1G.

Which is why I truly feel there is some inner conflict happening...imho

But I thought he was bad and regressed and needed to drop down a level...

Ultimately, I think the movement in the portal is largely a result of people getting tired of their teammates after months together in isolation. I’m glad he came to Rutgers because he gave Pike a big time recruiting win.

At this point I am not terribly confident we are going to go 1:1 on any replacement and fear the team will down as we try to rebuild again...hopefully I’m wrong.

But I thought he was bad and regressed and needed to drop down a level...

Ultimately, I think the movement in the portal is largely a result of people getting tired of their teammates after months together in isolation. I’m glad he came to Rutgers because he gave Pike a big time recruiting win.

At this point I am not terribly confident we are going to go 1:1 on any replacement and fear the team will down as we try to rebuild again...hopefully I’m wrong.
I agree with you that we won’t get comparable replacements for Johnson and Young. There are plenty of players in the portal that are improvements over Mathis and I don’t think he’s a big loss at all. I do think the longer this goes, the less likely this ends as well as I had hoped.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT