ADVERTISEMENT

Montez Mathis

Corey Evans

Redshirt
Dec 22, 2016
Just wanted to stop in and give you all a heads up on a 2018 target, Montez Mathis.
First off, am very excited to be on board here with Rivals as a national analyst. Hope to be of a good resource for you guys.
Steve Pikiell was in this evening for Montez Marhis, a blossoming scoring guard out of John Carroll School in Maryland. I have been told from his camp that Rutgers has done the most work with him to date. Something to keep an eye on. Mathis was a big time name coming up but struggled some during his sophomore year. His game is now back on track as he has put up monster numbers this year, especially scoring the ball. Would be a fantastic addition, if they can get it done.

Just wanted to stop in and give you all a heads up on a 2018 target, Montez Mathis.
First off, am very excited to be on board here with Rivals as a national analyst. Hope to be of a good resource for you guys.
Steve Pikiell was in this evening for Montez Marhis, a blossoming scoring guard out of John Carroll School in Maryland. I have been told from his camp that Rutgers has done the most work with him to date. Something to keep an eye on. Mathis was a big time name coming up but struggled some during his sophomore year. His game is now back on track as he has put up monster numbers this year, especially scoring the ball. Would be a fantastic addition, if they can get it done.
another 4 star to the mix. thanks for the heads up. does anyone know how many ships we have for '18?

Steve Pikiell was in this evening for Montez Marhis, a blossoming scoring guard out of John Carroll School in Maryland. I have been told from his camp that Rutgers has done the most work with him to date. Somewell Corey, let me be the first to welcome you aboard!thing to keep an eye on. Mathis was a big time name coming up but struggled some during his sophomore year. His game is now back on track as he has put up monster numbers this year, especially scoring the ball. Would be a fantastic addition, if they can get it done.

Well Corey, let me be the first to welcome you aboard! Look forward to your insight!

Any time frame for a decision and do you think Rutgers is a leader at this point?

Awesome! Would love more basketball recruiting news and info

Welcome Corey. This board really enjoys some inside recruiting info. Talented 6'4 SG is the size we need to compete in BIG. It really looks like Pikiell is working hard for recruits...hoping this pays off. According 247 sports, we are in the lead!!!

These are the type of guys we need. Need to land 4 of them in next years class.

Thank you. Yes, Rutgers has done a great job of getting in their early and showing the most love. Believe it could go a long way with him heading into his senior summer in a few months.

another 4 star to the mix. thanks for the heads up. does anyone know how many ships we have for '18?

If no one leaves we will have four 'ships for the 2018 class. Doucore, unless he reclassified, is oneof those 'ships. That leaves three more for 2018.

Thanks Corey Evans.

Can you tell us more about his game?I have not found much. It seems like he was highly recruited, then fell off a little, and is now in the process of showing people his game is still at a high level. Had a couple double doubles in a competitive DMV.

It is common for players to come in lacking size in this sport. He is not small, but he is not a bruiser either.

If no one leaves we will have four 'ships for the 2018 class. Doucore, unless he reclassified, is oneof those 'ships. That leaves three more for 2018.

The probabilty would be high the ultimate # would be 5 just based on how things go.
(4) Williams, Sa,Freeman and Johnson are gone

Sanders would go in to his senior year
Doorson potentially could have a degree and 1 year left
Bullock, Omoruyi and Thaim would go to junior year
Frosh class would go to sophs
Laurent would go in to his senior year

Sure, he is a hard-nosed wing scorer that puts up a ton of points in a pretty efficient fashion. Believe he had five straight 30+ point games this winter. Plays alongside five-star guard Immanuel Quickley at John Carroll School. Can score it from 20-feet and in. Is a decent athlete but is more of a power driver than a high leaper. Best with the ball in his hands. A competitive kid that is pretty consistent with his production.

Reactions: higgins3
Sure, he is a hard-nosed wing scorer that puts up a ton of points in a pretty efficient fashion. Believe he had five straight 30+ point games this winter. Plays alongside five-star guard Immanuel Quickley at John Carroll School. Can score it from 20-feet and in. Is a decent athlete but is more of a power driver than a high leaper. Best with the ball in his hands. A competitive kid that is pretty consistent with his production.

Thanks!

Here is another tid bit.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/players/mens/m/mathis-montez-1.aspx

He went to Oak Hill for 2015- 2016 season. 2014-2015- Mt Carmel. 2016-2017-John Caroll in Bel Air.

Is a member of the honor society. Interestingly enough, he has played a lot of football in his life. Could be a plus on the rebounding end, and the fact he is used to bumping off people on drives.

Gotta like his size, and he has some wingspan.

If there is any one thing that RU needs is a more athletic/game ready guard that is at 6'3 or taller that has the upside to contribute earlier in their college career. MM is definitely that type of player and I think may be a better fit than many realize, not just because of his ranking or ability.....if RU is going to get better, it not only has to be physically/faster/quicker, but also requires a more heady player that understands what we need on both ends of the floor.

I think Baker, Doucoure and Mathis are the type of 4 year kids on and off the court that can change the dynamics of what Mike Williams has started to do for RU.....they appear by the accounts to be team oriented/embrace the challenge, along with obviously raising the talent pool at RU.....Mike has unofficially been one of the leaders embracing the challenge and change of culture that is required and bought in the most on doing the other things that turn a program around.....not just limited to being a 3 point threat, but taking on bigger players, scrapping for 50/50 loose balls that add an extra possession or two, by rebounding the ball against other guards or forwards.

This is not to say that others have not done this as much, but the faster you have more Mike Williams types on your roster, the faster you turn a program around.....the very limited information on Mathis tends to give me an indication that it's the type of kid that can not only play at a high level, but adds to the culture/talent increase at the same time.

I have noticed that one element that has been consistent with the targets like Mathis, Naz Reid and a host of others is that one element beyond talent. It's an ultra-competitive B1G, so make no mistakes about it, Mathis is the type of player we need to land consistently, if that rebuild is going to take place.

Not the John Carroll from the Catholic League in the DC-suburban Md area (think DeMatha), but the John Carroll in Baltimore in the Baltimore Catholic League. Didn't say anything about offers, but mentioned Md, St Johns, West Va, NC State as well as RU. All with "medium" interest. Would be a monster signing and maybe give a little entry to the fertile DC-Baltimore area.
TL

Welcome Corey. This board really enjoys some inside recruiting info. Talented 6'4 SG is the size we need to compete in BIG. It really looks like Pikiell is working hard for recruits...hoping this pays off. According 247 sports, we are in the lead!!!
What is the level of competition that Mathis faces in Maryland?Any future information on Maryland/DC recruiting will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Potbelly407
Hey Corey,

What is going on with Najja Hunter? I heard we were doing real well at one point but haven't heard anything recently.

Also, I heard Seton Hall is recruiting Sandro M. From Florida. Who are the serious contenders for his services?

Montez plays in one of the toughest conferences in all of high school basketball, especially on the east coast. Every night it s a battle; John Carroll School also has played some on the national platform.

With Sandro, Seton Hall is involved but at the moment, I would say Pitt, USC, and Vandy are looking good with him at the moment. He was born in New York before moving to the country of Georgia at a young age, FWIW.

Its been a long time since Rutgers had a 6'4" guard that could score and would also help on defense because of his height.

He is going to be a highly followed recruit this spring/summer, whenever coaches can give more attention to the recruiting end of things. Should be noted that Virginia Tech and La Salle were in for him last night.

He is going to be a highly followed recruit this spring/summer, whenever coaches can give more attention to the recruiting end of things. Should be noted that Virginia Tech and La Salle were in for him last night.

Well, shit.

Bump for those asking how long weve been on him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT