ADVERTISEMENT

Montez Mathis

I saw that. I hate seeing Kansas on the list. Or Xavier. Still, Rutgers is seemingly right there.

Kansas probably will get someone higher ranked.
Maybe, but their staff always does a pretty good job of keeping all options open in case they miss on key guys.

They're Kansas, they can slow play some guys. Especially if they get them to come to Late Night In The Phog.

Maybe, but their staff always does a pretty good job of keeping all options open in case they miss on key guys.

They're Kansas, they can slow play some guys. Especially if they get them to come to Late Night In The Phog.

Russ, when does the summer camp circuit start? Pikiell and staff will be at all his games and close it out with an official visit for a Football game this Fall. At least that's the Dream I had a few days ago....lol

Reactions: MV9000
Russ, when does the summer camp circuit start? Pikiell and staff will be at all his games and close it out with an official visit for a Football game this Fall. At least that's the Dream I had a few days ago....lol
Camps are going on this month. Team Camps (I was at FGCU Sunday & will be at UF this weekend), Super Sophomore Camp was 2 weekends ago as was the Pangos All American Camp. The Adidas Euro Camp just ended. Tomorrow the NBPA Top 100 Camp begins. Nike Elite 100 is next week I think.

College coaches can't attend any of these camps, unless it's their team camp of course.

I actually thought Xavier could be a legitimate threat for Mathis but didn't they just lose their coach to OSU?

Russ is right. WKU is on a lot of short lists. I don't think Kansas will ultimately offer but if they do then they go to the top. UCONN and Rutgers are really tight with this kid.

The AAU season has been going on for awhile. Coaches go back on the road in July, 3 different 5 day window live periods. July 12th thru 16th, July 19th thru 23rd and finally July 26th thru the 30th.

I was a little surprised to not so a ton of big names. 4 star guard, etc. Even with Quickley on the team, Mathis still went under the radar.

Well see how it shakes out. If twitter means anything, Mathis has RU in top two-three.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
I was a little surprised to not so a ton of big names. 4 star guard, etc. Even with Quickley on the team, Mathis still went under the radar.

Well see how it shakes out. If twitter means anything, Mathis has RU in top two-three.
Just because a kid is a 4-star prospect it doesn't mean that a ton of big name programs are going to offer. Need, fit, style of play and other things factor into offers.

Maryland watched Mathis a lot and never came close to offering. Before the start of his sophomore season he said they were his dream school

Just because a kid is a 4-star prospect it doesn't mean that a ton of big name programs are going to offer. Need, fit, style of play and other things factor into offers.

Maryland watched Mathis a lot and never came close to offering. Before the start of his sophomore season he said they were his dream school

@Russ Wood I made that same point here several months ago and was ridiculed by some boneheads here. Offer lists in basketball, while important, must be looked at with all those factors in mind.

Reactions: MV9000
@Russ Wood I made that same point here several months ago and was ridiculed by some boneheads here. Offer lists in basketball, while important, must be looked at with all those factors in mind.
That wasn't what people were saying to you. What most people are saying is when you are rated poorly, have no offers (not some offers) from P5 schools then that raises a red flag. Mathis is highly rated and has many P5 offers. Just because a few schools chose not to offer is meaningless. He may not fit their scheme. They may have limited ships and not want to offer another guard etc.

If you think there is a good chance of a guy succeeding in the big ten who had no other offers and was ranked low then I don't know what to tell you. Think what you want. You are entitled to that.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland

Russ could you give a scouting report on Mathis for us. I have only seen a few quick videos. Anything you can share is appreciated.

That wasn't what people were saying to you. What most people are saying is when you are rated poorly, have no offers (not some offers) from P5 schools then that raises a red flag. Mathis is highly rated and has many P5 offers. Just because a few schools chose not to offer is meaningless. He may not fit their scheme. They may have limited ships and not want to offer another guard etc.

If you think there is a good chance of a guy succeeding in the big ten who had no other offers and was ranked low then I don't know what to tell you. Think what you want. You are entitled to that.

@RickB113 Your thoughts on Mac McClung ?

Russ could you give a scouting report on Mathis for us. I have only seen a few quick videos. Anything you can share is appreciated.
He's a powerful and explosive wing who can make open jump shots, but I would not call him a "shooter".

Great motor, more than willing defender. He plays within team concepts. Looks like he'd be a glue guy who will play four years in college.

Reactions: Scangg and DECKRU
Mathis also seems coachable. He is a scorer, and would allow Pikiell to run 3 guard sets when necessary as he is a willing rebounder. His mentality is to attack. At this day and age, as basketball goes in and out of trends, you need people who are willing to do that. It cannot just be a three ball game.

Mathis will add to Pikiells value of versatility.

Reactions: winRU and Scangg
WKU is off the list for Mathis due to Coch Shammond Williams' resignation.

@Russ Wood 2nd WKU asst coach to leave. Anything going on there or just guys looking to move up to P5 spots?

Reactions: Scangg
WKU is off the list for Mathis due to Coch Shammond Williams' resignation.

@Russ Wood 2nd WKU asst coach to leave. Anything going on there or just guys looking to move up to P5 spots?

MitchLikeTweet_zpsrnzjpu7t.jpg

Let the wild speculation begin.

Williams played at UNC and I believe they have an Operations position open so that is a possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT