ADVERTISEMENT

Montez Mathis

It will be great to see what guards possess the skills to get their big minutes. Or will it be a high paced offense with each one playing 16mpg?

The article didn't give a ton of reasoning for Mathis. What guard can shoot the best?Jury is still out on that one.

Mathis is going to play 24-28 minutes a game, easily....his shooting is more than fine....certainly wont be 40% from 3, but good enough to get points in transition and get to the FT line...

Reactions: Scangg
Even with all the new guys, Pike's focus will still be rebounding and defense and Coach had stated that Montez could be the best rebounding guard in the BIG.
He seems to have that Mike Williams mentality as a guard not afraid to mix it up in the paint. Love it

Mathis is going to play 24-28 minutes a game, easily....his shooting is more than fine....certainly wont be 40% from 3, but good enough to get points in transition and get to the FT line...
To Hawk, Russ, anyone who's seen him a bunch: he's finishing at the rim because of strength and (vs hs competition) size but all with right hand. He's gonna need to finish with his left, yes?

To Hawk, Russ, anyone who's seen him a bunch: he's finishing at the rim because of strength and (vs hs competition) size but all with right hand. He's gonna need to finish with his left, yes?

You do realize this is High school...??

I don't know a lot of professional players who aren't going to go to their strongest hand, in traffic and playing through possible contact.....

I'm fairly confident that a D1 prospect can dribble left handed and make a left handed layup.

Mathis is not a 1 or 2 and done player, so if you are looking for a Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, level skill set out of Mathis, or any of our imcoming recruits from Day 1, i think you are going to be disappointed. The program is being built so that when Baker is a junior, Mathis is a sophomore and Mulcahy is a freshman, that the players can grow, learn and play together.

If you saw Baker highlights 2 years ago as a junior going to be a senior, you'd probably would not have been impressed either. Mathis is going to be a good player for RU, I'm fairly certain that he'll be better as a sophomore than his freshman season, which is what the goal should be.

I have McConnell as the player I am most excited to see.

I think he will surprise fans.

I’m with you here, like our recruits but most interested in seeing what Caleb can bring. He has the most natural point guard skills on the roster.

Reactions: dmitch023
I’m with you here, like our recruits but most interested in seeing what Caleb can bring. He has the most natural point guard skills on the roster.

Good stuff. In general, Baker has the most skills on the roster as it stands now. If they can get him off the ball, it will be of help to the offense.

I always felt (but finally posting this so it isn't just thoughts) that Mathis will be a Mike Williams+ for us. Mike gave us 8ppg and 4rpg last year, although his numbers might have been a little higher if it wasn't for the injuries.

Like Mike, I see Mathis being asked and delivering superb rebounding good defense first. Like Mike, he'll get the dirty points in the lane as well. He'll give us better athleticism on the floor too. I am not going to put unfair expectations on the young man. If he rebounds, plays good defense and gives the team 8-10 points per game this year and shows improvement in his offensive skills, I will see that as a good freshman year.

I don't know a lot of professional players who aren't going to go to their strongest hand, in traffic and playing through possible contact.....

I'm fairly confident that a D1 prospect can dribble left handed and make a left handed layup.

Mathis is not a 1 or 2 and done player, so if you are looking for a Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, level skill set out of Mathis, or any of our imcoming recruits from Day 1, i think you are going to be disappointed. The program is being built so that when Baker is a junior, Mathis is a sophomore and Mulcahy is a freshman, that the players can grow, learn and play together.

If you saw Baker highlights 2 years ago as a junior going to be a senior, you'd probably would not have been impressed either. Mathis is going to be a good player for RU, I'm fairly certain that he'll be better as a sophomore than his freshman season, which is what the goal should be.

I think you’re misconstruing my question. On two or three clips he’s going left and had a somewhat contested but not so difficult left handed layup but spins his body to readjust and finish with right hand. I expected him to finish with left. PS—I realize it’s hs.

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
I think you’re misconstruing my question. On two or three clips he’s going left and had a somewhat contested but not so difficult left handed layup but spins his body to readjust and finish with right hand. I expected him to finish with left. PS—I realize it’s hs.

Fair enough...i believe part of what we will see are jumps in performance....Kiss will be better in this season because of a full season of training, weights, coaching and practices here. Mathis has a skill set you can build around and talent that will develop into a 2 way, all-around shooting guard.

These types of players have been very hard to find, so I'm looking forward to watching the bumps and bruises along the way, more than where the player is today....recruiting is forecasting and expanding on the initial players starting point. RU needs a player that can play through contact off the dribble...Mathis starts with an ability to do that, which isn't necessarily an automatic for a recruit at this level.

Reactions: zebnatto
I always felt (but finally posting this so it isn't just thoughts) that Mathis will be a Mike Williams+ for us. Mike gave us 8ppg and 4rpg last year, although his numbers might have been a little higher if it wasn't for the injuries.

Like Mike, I see Mathis being asked and delivering superb rebounding good defense first. Like Mike, he'll get the dirty points in the lane as well. He'll give us better athleticism on the floor too. I am not going to put unfair expectations on the young man. If he rebounds, plays good defense and gives the team 8-10 points per game this year and shows improvement in his offensive skills, I will see that as a good freshman year.
I agree except I think Mathis offers more offensively especially attacking the rim

Reactions: soundcrib
Athleticism is huge, and as we know Mathis was more athletic than Williams was in HS.

He will be a freshman, and as fans well anticipate an imperfect player hopefully.

Transition will be his best friend. Turning defense into offense, etc. As for HS, I wonder what he shot from 3 pt line. He has hit plenty of threes, but I would not call it his best shot. On just the transition alone from HS to D, it is a hard for your shot to have a direct positive transfer over. For many kids the release is too slow, or they only could make set shots when there was no one guarding them.

What will directly transfer over is the toughness that Mathis plays with.

I will have fun rooting for Mathis!It will help us as fans to keep our expectations of his first year of play realistic.

Last edited:
Athleticism is huge, and as we know Mathis was more athletic than Williams was in HS.

He will be a freshman, and as fans well anticipate an imperfect player hopefully.

Transition will be his best friend. Turning defense into offense, etc. As for HS, I wonder what he shot from 3 pt line. He has hit plenty of threes, but I would not call it his best shot. On just the transition alone from HS to D, it is a hard for your shot to have a direct positive transfer over. For many kids the release is too slow, or they only could make set shots when there was no one guarding them.

What will directly transfer over is the toughness that Mathis plays with.

I will have fun rooting for Mathis!It will help us as fans to keep our expectations of his first year of play realistic.

Well i think for the 1st time in a long time, there will be equal focus on a lot of newcomers....8 in total....McConnell, Mathis, Kiss, Shaq Carter, Myles Johnson, Harper Jr, How's Young looking in practice and the last spot, if it's used this season on another frosh, grad transfer etc....

Kiss and Mathis will shoulder the burden togethe IMO....that transfer in caught a lot of criticism at the time, right now it's looking like a bringing along process where Mathis won't be asked to do it all immediately at SG...McConnell can spot minutes at point, play Baker at SG....Kiss playing well and Thiam improved???, then Kiss can slide down to SG for minutes....McConnell can also fill in at SG because he has range on his shot.

Maybe the ZEROs from Kiss's spot could have hurt us 15-20 kenpom spots and maybe 1 to 2 wins. Maybe the ZEROs didn't hurt as at all as that spot might have gone to a grad transfer that wasn't a fit OR a traditional underwhelming freshman that is stuck on our roster for the next 3 years.

Looking back the past 9 months I have definitely changed my tune on going the Kiss route. If he becomes a decent player Pikiell will definitely come out looking good.

I've said this many times as well. Mathis isn't known to be a "shooter" right now, but more of an all-around guard who can score. If he brings the rebounding and toughness Mike brought, I have to think we can expect the same type of production Mike brought when he was healthy (e.g., 8 and 4), though I hope Mathis can shoot better than Mike's senior year 21% from three-point range.

Reactions: Caliknight
I've said this many times as well. Mathis isn't known to be a "shooter" right now, but more of an all-around guard who can score. If he brings the rebounding and toughness Mike brought, I have to think we can expect the same type of production Mike brought when he was healthy (e.g., 8 and 4), though I hope Mathis can shoot better than Mike's senior year 21% from three-point range.

Mathis looks strong and athletic on tape- reminds me of Ricky Shields and hopefully he can have that kind of career on the banks!

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I was thinking the same thing, not a perfect match but that was the first player that came to mind.

This has been my analogy since day one

Not as big and strong as dahntay ...but more fluid handling the ball.

But that’s the first comparassion that came to mind when I saw him and I’ll stick with the conparassion

I think he really could complement a 3 pt shooter like Hyatt, and Harper at the four

Baker
Mathis
Hyatt
Harper

I’ll takw my chances with them 1 through 4 on the floor ...with Paul Mulcahy and Eugene Backing up....those 6 getting sharing 160 minutes at the 1-4... and a two headed center in Carter and Doucoure at the 5

This has been my analogy since day one

Not as big and strong as dahntay ...but more fluid handling the ball.

But that’s the first comparassion that came to mind when I saw him and I’ll stick with the conparassion

I think he really could complement a 3 pt shooter like Hyatt, and Harper at the four

Baker
Mathis
Hyatt
Harper

I’ll takw my chances with them 1 through 4 on the floor ...with Paul Mulcahy and Eugene Backing up....those 6 getting sharing 160 minutes at the 1-4... and a two headed center in Carter and Doucoure at the 5

I like Caleb, also Jacob Young is here for next year. And Myles Johnson has a chance to be our best big.

Baker
Mathis
Hyatt
Harper

Do not sleep on Myles Johnson and Caleb. It’s going to be fun knowing the competition in practice will be bringing out the very best in all of these players.

Reactions: Scangg and dkostus

The great players in high school use their left when going left.

Kid went to my high school. He’s a nice all around guard. He’s not a lights out shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT