ADVERTISEMENT

Montez

Montez getting better and had a good game but Pike doesn’t trust him. Didn’t play in crunch time nor in overtime because he’s unreliable too many times
He had an atrocious free throw and a very pathetic ill advised 3 on the second half though he ran the court quite well and played well defensively
Pike trusts Mulcahy more

its all about knowing and accepting roles

certain players will thrive vs certain opponents. One thing we have learned is there is not an end all be all with our lineups this year. Its been quite a challenge for Pikiell

Tez earned more minutes. I think he should have some of Pauls while Paul gets his bearings coming back from his face injury(has been different since that). Tez isnt barreling into the paint the latest games. Hes playing controlled, good D and within his game making good cuts and slahses when needed.

Yep - been begging for Tez to sit most of the year in the game threads, but today he deserved much more time.

Reactions: MV9000
Tez is a liability in the halfcourt. Takes bad shots, forces drives, turns the ball over, cannot finish at the rim and is an awful free throw shooter. When Rutgers faces teams that get back quickly in transition, he is useless other than playing good defense.

Paul will not help much, but he will not hurt. Montez actively hurts the offense.

Tez is a liability in the halfcourt. Takes bad shots, forces drives, turns the ball over, cannot finish at the rim and is an awful free throw shooter. When Rutgers faces teams that get back quickly in transition, he is useless other than playing good defense.

Paul will not help much, but he will not hurt. Montez actively hurts the offense.

LoL

What I likes about Tez in the game, for the most part he played in control and didn't just blindly barrel his way to the basket 3 on 1. I thought he did a nice job playing within himself and asserted himself quite nicely. As to Paul, I'm constantly shouting at the TV, "SHOOT THE BALL." This kid has talent, but he'd rather dish it than shoot it. And many times when he gets too low in the paint, is where he makes his mistakes by trying to pass the ball off instead of taking the shot.

Last edited:
What I likes about Tez in the game, for the most part he played in control and didn't just blindly barrel his way to the basket 3 on 1. I thought he did a nice job playing within himself and asserted himself quite nicely. As to Paul, I constantly shouting at the TV, "SHOOT THE BALL." This kid has talent, but he'd rather dish it than shoot it. And many times when he gets to low in the paint, is where he makes his mistakes by trying to pass the ball off instead of taking the shot.
Paul's driving layup against tight ball pressure was great. Something I didn't think he could get to go down on what seemed a tough angle. He just needs to focus on finding his offense more. It will loosen up the D as well since they don't sag on him knowing he'll pivot into the paint and look to dish - never to shoot.

Not being able to straighten out his right pinky finger definitely showed up in Mulcahy's stats. Anyone know how his dislocation is coming along?

Paul has multiple injuries he is fighting through - finger, broken nose, and hip.

Perhaps coach should lean in on Tez more.

Played well, foul shot was pretty bad.

First one swisher.

Yesterday was "good" Tez and honestly what we have seen from him in his previous years here (rather than the past couple of months). If he continues to play like that, that's a huge lift for this team as we try and make some noise

Paul has multiple injuries he is fighting through - finger, broken nose, and hip.

Perhaps coach should lean in on Tez more.

Mathis and Mulcahy have very different roles, though. If his minutes need to be limited due to injury, Mulcahy's distribution role would need to fall more to Baker, Young, and McConnell.

Montez played his best game in awhile, but as mentioned a few WTF moments. During his freshman year, I thought he was going to be a star. His athleticism was off the charts, but IMO he has regressed since. As Bardo stated, his jump shot is like knuckle ball (no back spin at all). He needs to stop shooting the three and continue to slash to rim

What I likes about Tez in the game, for the most part he played in control and didn't just blindly barrel his way to the basket 3 on 1. I thought he did a nice job playing within himself and asserted himself quite nicely. As to Paul, I constantly shouting at the TV, "SHOOT THE BALL." This kid has talent, but he'd rather dish it than shoot it. And many times when he gets to low in the paint, is where he makes his mistakes by trying to pass the ball off instead of taking the shot.

This is pure truth, and I hope Paul grows again this off-season.

When Tez plays within himself, he's a solid player. He has an inconsistent shot, and it may be bc his shot just isn't that nice mechanically, but he can play Defense, and can play offense when he is playing within himself.

Yesterday is a perfect example. He took well timed and placed 3s, and hustled his ass off to get to the rim when opportunities presented. I was fine with his missed 3. It wasn't a bad shot at all and it wasn't a bad miss. I think he also hit one if I'm remembering correctly.

I think Tez gets a bad wrap sometimes w fans bc he is a business minded kid and he plays angry, or at least it LOOKS like he does bc he doesn't smile much, but that doesn't mean he even is angry. I think Tez is a quiet kid and people take that as him being discontent.

Yesterday you could see him smiling after the two dunks, and to me, it seemed more like he was shy in general, and hard in himself, than was always unhappy. He allowed himself to smile and it was nice to see.

I won't mention what someone posted after the indiana game, but I "saw" whatever it was they claimed they "saw" and I don't think "it" was anything at all, but a complete misreading of the situation.

I'm a fan of Tez, and when he plays well, he's a big help to this team, just like all the kids are. And we better hope he's here and playing well next season, bc he is going to be a big part of the team.

I'm a big Mulcahy fan, but he seems so reluctant to shoot the ball. and not very sure what to do with it when he's in close to the rim.
Mulchahy has to lead the country in turn overs one foot from the basket .

Reactions: Kbee3
Maybe he should rest til the anticipated tourney first round. I thought he was a real liability on D

This. RHJ didn’t have a strong defensive game either so the combination of them in for extended minutes together really hurt us. That, and only that, in my opinion was Pike’s coaching error. Any other combination would’ve kept Minnesota at bay. They had no offense outside of combinations on our side including both of those two in the game. We were able to get by on the help as long it was only one of them playing.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
Montez had a good game; 12 points; 5-9 FG; 15 minutes versus Geo's 12 on 3 for 11. Just that 3 ball with about 8:20 to go and 23 sec on the clock was not needed at that point; should have been a better possession. Take some time - know he was open - but it was not his best play of the day.

Maybe he should rest til the anticipated tourney first round. I thought he was a real liability on D

Last week he couldn't straighten his dislocated right pinky finger past 90°.... Don't know if a few more days is going to help him with that. Have to think that impacts his handle, passing touch, and shooting.

Last week he couldn't straighten his dislocated right pinky finger past 90°.... Don't know if a few more days is going to help him with that. Have to think that impacts his handle, passing touch, and shooting.
If he sits out big ten tournament that’s 10 days off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT