ADVERTISEMENT

Mora out at UCLA

I had already resigned myself to the fact the chances of him ending up at A&M were small...but this seals it...UCLA would be a sweet deal...he has texas recruiting ties and now CA talent?

He could do serious damage in the PAC! Would be a great hire

Why the hell would any Rutgers fan want Chip at UCLA? As far as I know we still have a home and home scheduled with them.

It has nothing to do with (irrelevant fans) wanting or wanting him there...it would simply be a brilliant move by UCLA...probably the most attractive landing spot for CK...

It has nothing to do with (irrelevant fans) wanting or wanting him there...it would simply be a brilliant move by UCLA...probably the most attractive landing spot for CK...
I see, but why there? Despite their prowess in many, many sports, I would not consider them a FB blue blood.

I see, but why there? Despite their prowess in many, many sports, I would not consider them a FB blue blood.

Neither was Oregon and he won 10+ games 5 or more years and took the ducks to the BCS title game! UCLA is as blue blood as Michigan state, state penn, auburn or many others.

Imagine selling Texas recruits on the beautiful southern cal weather and girls? ...plus all the CA recruits he'd attract?

The calculus here is easy...

Kelly has a lot of ties to all the Southern California powerhouse programs. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel for him.

Seemed like Kelly to UF had some legs but this changes things. If they miss on getting him bc of timing there are going to a lot of unhappy gators fans

Why the hell would any Rutgers fan want Chip at UCLA? As far as I know we still have a home and home scheduled with them.
I doubt we'll ever see this one come to fruition. It's already been pushed back to 20 and 21 seasons and was signed back in 2009 when we were trying to upgrade our OOC because of a dying Big East. This one looks doomed, to go the way of the Miami series. No reason for it now and another cross country trip with a B1G East slate and 9 conference games.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
and regardless of what anyone says, UCLA football is not a pressure cooker the way that Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, etc. are.

I don't even know if I can remember UCLA ever winning the Rose Bowl in my football watching lifetime. EDIT: it was 1986.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Rose_Bowl_Game#/Game_results
Good point - don't think he wants to butt heads with Saban every year. But he'd better beat that team across town if he wants to keep his job.

Reactions: FanuSanu52
Neither was Oregon and he won 10+ games 5 or more years and took the ducks to the BCS title game! UCLA is as blue blood as Michigan state, state penn, auburn or many others.

Imagine selling Texas recruits on the beautiful southern cal weather and girls? ...plus all the CA recruits he'd attract?

I was actually alive when Auburn, Penn State, and Michigan State won National Championships. I was under the impression that Kelly didn't like to recruit, and that was one reason he jumped at the chance to go to the NFL.

Yeah, his system is made for the PAC and had proven success there. History says it's not as good against the SEC. So why not go back to where it's proven? Nice not to have to play through Alabama in some form every year.

Outside of USC, which probably won't be available for at least a couple years, UCLA is as good as any spot in the PAC.

I was actually alive when Auburn, Penn State, and Michigan State won National Championships. I was under the impression that Kelly didn't like to recruit, and that was one reason he jumped at the chance to go to the NFL.

How old are you? MSU last won a football NC in 1966...you remember that?

Regardless...UCLA is a destination...and he can do amazing things with the embarrassment of resources they have there!

How old are you? MSU last won a football NC in 1966...you remember that?

Regardless...UCLA is a destination...and he can do amazing things with the embarrassment of resources they have there!

1966 was the year that MSU and Notre Dame played to a 0-0 tie in a game that was hyped in the extreme. After the game, some people said that the scoreless tie symbolized our "no-win" strategy in Vietnam. Honestly, some people take football much too seriously.

Reactions: anon_ivydyf0amkzay
They did this so they could get Kelly before he went to Florida. He loves the west coast. He can recruit the hell our of California and in the media he can lay low and let USC get all the attention. It's a perfect situation for him. Will be shocked if he doesn't end up there.

1966 was the year that MSU and Notre Dame played to a 0-0 tie in a game that was hyped in the extreme. After the game, some people said that the scoreless tie symbolized our "no-win" strategy in Vietnam. Honestly, some people take football much too seriously.

A bit of a stretch huh?[roll]

Wasn't the tie 10-10?

sorry, I think you're right. I lived in Orlando, Florida at the time, where the game was shown on tape delay, and there were preview stories in the newspaper warning me not to bet on the game because the game might have ended already.

Just looked it up, was 10-10. ND sat on the ball with the game tied.

bubba-smith-6823c94bbdcba154.jpg

I remember that in the late 1960s, UCLA had Gary Beban, and the USC-UCLA game was a national event. UCLA is respectable most of the time, but no more. I've always felt that UCLA is hurt by playing at the Rose Bowl, which is a considerable distance from campus.

Still UCLA is tied with Stanford for the most NCAA championships at 113...USC is #3 with 104

Some want to make it sound like UCLA is some dead end AD

Keep in mind that a significant number of those championships are in basketball (remember John Wooden?) and I think UCLA has always been very strong in non-revenue sports. UCLA, btw, plays relatively few intercollegiate sports as I remember -- I think about 22. My alma mater, Cal, plays close to 30, but that's not going to last.

Keep in mind that a significant number of those championships are in basketball (remember John Wooden?) and I think UCLA has always been very strong in non-revenue sports. UCLA, btw, plays relatively few intercollegiate sports as I remember -- I think about 22. My alma mater, Cal, plays close to 30, but that's not going to last.
What? They have 11 basketball titles. That leaves. 101 and more. UCLA is one of a select few schools to win titles in football, basketball and baseball.

I think UCLA would be another good landing spot for Kelly. It doesn't need to be a blue blood and I actually think he prefers it that way.

It's the LA market but it is the 2nd team in that town and it's not the high profile sport of that school, so on some level a little less scrutiny and I think that's what he'd want ideally.

Same arguments as above, no Saban to deal with, Cali talent just as good as Texas or Florida and he's won in the PAC12. I'm sure they can pay him and his staff enough. Can't say for sure that he ends up here but it definitely has all the ingredients that I'd think he'd want.

Last edited:
As an outsider I wonder how they are not the superior option to USC. They play in the Rose Bowl, their campus is basically in Hollywood compared to downtown LA..I guess its simply history.

There is a real appeal to the USC / UCLA for all the reasons stated previously, plus while the recruiting competition has gotten more difficult with the rise of Oregon and Stanford in recent years and Peterson being at Washington now, there are plenty of high-level California recruits to pick from. California is 3rd in producing elite recruits, only behind Texas and Florida.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

However, while seemingly everyone in the SEC, ACC and B1G tries to recruit in Florida, those schools have difficulty recruiting California because of the distance. Same goes for Texas with all the schools recruiting hard there.

In 2017, UCLA had 2 5-star commits - both from CA - and 5 4-star commits - 3 from CA.
In 2016, UCLA had 1 5-star and 9 4-stars - all from CA.
In 2015, UCLA had 3 5-stars and 9 4-stars - 8 of them from CA.

USC does even better. There's just so much talent there, and not a ton of programs that are in close proximity.

Mora out.. $12M+ buyout.. there is a lesson for all you guys who just want Rutgers to dump money on a "big name coach".

We cannot afford it because none of them are sure things at a place like Rutgers and we will never be able to afford to buy them out like this.. not for a long long time.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT