ADVERTISEMENT

Mora out at UCLA

In the pursuit of Kelly, I think that's actually a good thing. I think he just wants to coach football and keep as low a profile as possible but at a school that still has the ingredients to win big. Who knows if he'll end up there but I think UCLA has those things.

BTW just a link to general coaching carousel news.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...ebraska-florida-tennessee-arkansas-auburn-fsu
Holy crap!

"The 49ers still owe Kelly millions of dollars in its buyout, with some estimates in the $60 million dollar range. The 49ers would still be on the hook in paying Kelly, minus what any new employer would pay him."
He could work there for just a token salary while the Niners are paying him, freeing up potentially a couple million more for his staff.

As an outsider I wonder how they are not the superior option to USC. They play in the Rose Bowl, their campus is basically in Hollywood compared to downtown LA..I guess its simply history.

USC is closer to Hollywood than UCLA, though UCLA is in a nicer area. The area around SC continues to change for the better though.

SC has tradition, money, and a better alumni network which helps recruiting. Their pipeline to some of the best parochial schools is air tight.

They also basically play on campus. The Rose Bowl is an hour from campus in LA traffic. It isn’t great for them.

Reactions: bigbirdRU
Looks like it's between UCLA/FLorida according to footballscoop and ESPN Mark Schalbach. No other schools expected to be under consideration.

Think the lean is probably to UCLA because he most likely could have accepted the Florida job by now, maybe before UCLA even opened up. He could've been waiting on seeing what the landscape would like and if something he may have wanted more opened up. But I guess we'll see soon who wins the sweepstakes.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

Kelly would be a huge failure at Florida, without any doubt in my mind.

He needs to go somewhere outside the box, that will tolerate his way of doing things. That's why he was so perfect at Oregon.

Last edited:
Looks like it's between UCLA/FLorida according to footballscoop and ESPN Mark Schalbach. No other schools expected to be under consideration.

Think the lean is probably to UCLA because he most likely could have accepted the Florida job by now, maybe before UCLA even opened up. He could've been waiting on seeing what the landscape would like and if something he may have wanted more opened up. But I guess we'll see soon who wins the sweepstakes.

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

The USA Today guys have been saying for months that they think (or their sources have said) that C. Kelly's best landing spot might be Arizona St. (if Grahamgets fired). He may be holding out to see what happens there. But I agree that of the current places, UCLA makes the most sense.

The USA Today guys have been saying for months that they think (or their sources have said) that C. Kelly's best landing spot might be Arizona St. (if Grahamgets fired). He may be holding out to see what happens there. But I agree that of the current places, UCLA makes the most sense.
I've seen that and in one sense I get it because like I said above I do think he wants a place that's less in the spotlight. A slightly upscale version of Mike Leach in that respect. He wouldn't got to a Lubbock or Pullman but would probably like lower profile than you'd think for a coach like him. Just coach football but it also has to be a place that can win big.

Is ASU a place he could do that consistently? I don't know what their resources are like either. I do think they has some stadium renovation though in the last handful of years.

Taking in the whole package still think UCLA would match up better for Kelly's likely wants/needs.

ADVERTISEMENT