ADVERTISEMENT

More Midlands

Giraldo is on double deck...Mat 3
His next opponent, Kevin Norstrem, is ranked #10 for this tournament. Norstrem is a Redshirt Freshman ranked #19 at 133 by Intermat. Beat DelVechhio in Las Vegas, so this is really interesting for RU.

http://www.hokiesports.com/wrestling/players/norstrem_kevin.html

2014-15: Picked up a win against Newberry in his official collegiate debut … Went 2-2 while wreslting unattached at the Hokie Open, placing fourth … Picked up a pair of wins in Tech's tri-meet against Gardner-Webb and No. 23 North Dakota State … Lost to Johnni DiJulius of Ohio State, 2-1, in the dual match … Took seventh at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational … Picked up wins over seeded Scott Delvecchio and Ian Nickell at the event … Fell to No. 5 Jimmy Gulibon of Penn State 9-4 in the dual.
2013-14: Was redshirted … Went 21-4 while wrestling unattached at 133 pounds … Won three open tournaments … Went 4-0 at the Hokie Open to take the title … Went 4-0 at the King Open to capture the title … Went 2-2 at the Midlands Championships … Went 4-1 at the Shorty Hitchcock Memorial, placing second … Won both of his matches at the Appalachian State Open to take the title … Placed third at the National Collegiate Open, going 5-1.
High School: Lettered four times for Coach Russ Cozart at Brandon High … The No. 19 overall recruit in the country as rated by Amateur Wrestling News, No. 16 by D1CollegeWrestling, No. 42 by InterMat and No. 44 by FloWrestling … A five-time Florida state champion, four times at the 3A level … Went 229-3 in his four years at Brandon … Combined with a 45-1 eighth grade year competing against high school competition, he was 274-4 for his career … Attended Tampa Bay Christian as an eighth-grader and won a state title at 112 pounds … A three-time double All-American (Juniors in 2010 and 2011, Cadet in 2009) in Fargo (includes a Junior National Greco-Roman championship at 130 pounds in 2011) … Finished his senior year ranked No. 3 in the country at 138 pounds by Amateur Wrestling News and No. 8 by InterMat … Named to Amateur Wrestling News' All-Academic Team.
Personal: Kevin Austin Norstrem was born October 25, 1993 in Brandon, FL … The son of Timothy and Nancy Norstrem … Has a brother, Kyle … Majoring in finance.

Giraldo / Norstrem now....cautious pawing by both in first. no score.
giraldo on top in second

giraldo gives up reversal off of gramby roll. Giraldo out. 2-1 Norstrem now.

norstrem backing up a lot. no stalling called yet. But Giraldo not committing to a strategy.
2-1 Norstrem at end of second. Giraldo on bottom. he is out.
2-2

giraldo gaining ground, but no shots.
match regulation ends 2-2. SV OT no score. now rideouts

Two costly freshmen mistakes.

Getting reversed twice instead of just giving up the one.

another damn gramby reversal. why cant we adjust?

But Giraldo gets reversal in his rideout.

going to 2 OT

the scorekeeper is horrendous. she has no clue on wrestling scoring and riding time in OT

What a sh**y way to lose.

12 seconds of riding time determined the winner.

I would have liked to see Giraldo commit to at least one shot during regulation.

I don't think he knew the match was going to end there. I think he thought it would go to another minute of neutral.

i think geraldo had takedown in 2 OT.
refs suck. no review?
But Giraldo had no takedowns

Clock keeper is worst i have seen in a long time. no clue on rules nor how to keep a clock.

Wonder if Tyson is sick. He was not himself at all in any aspect of the match.

ADVERTISEMENT