ADVERTISEMENT

Morning after thoughts

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Usually after a game I am consumed with reading every single thread, every single post and I did that until about midnight but then felt for my own sanity it would be better to just invoke the 12 hour rule. What's done is done. Reliving it through your mind will drive you nuts. Lord knows Rutgers history is filled with these moments. There are points on both sides of the coin on taking the air out vs playing to win. At the end of the day, the result is still the same. As crushing a loss as it was for us fans, its has to be 10x as tough for the players and coaching staff. Again tough to do a game recap with my immediate reactions and not the first time this year either, sometimes this team would make you pull your hair out.

The two year run of this particular group of kids is what we all signed up for. A thrill ride of watching a program develop before our eyes. This team will always be defined by its work ethic and grit and as well documented, its not always going to be pretty. Rutgers earned their way into the tournament in 2020 with two thrilling victories down the stretch vs Maryland and Purdue. Then they had their opportunity ripped away from them by a nasty virus. Covid would pose challenges for every school this season. Some handled it better than others. Some probably did everything right and still had Covid issues. You have to give Rutgers, the university and the entire staff and players major credit for getting through this season without any Covid issues and sticking to it mentally. I think the whole Covid situation added a new wrinkle to analyzing everything where unless you were actually these kids in their bubble, you had no idea what they had to go through. What could be criticized in normal years in retrospect might be better off given a pass this year. The program held sway through the ebbs and flows of a brutal Big 10 schedule and came out with its first NCAA tourney bid in 30 years. That is historic and they were not just satisfied being there for the first time in 30 years, they delivered Rutgers first NCAA tournament win in 38 years!

Beyond the performance on the court, Rutgers fans should be proud of what a great representation these players are for their university off the court as well. Myles the Brilliant...how great was it seeing that piece on the Journey and then the one on CBS about him. Such a role model for the black community and trying to encourage more minorities to get into STEM and engineering. Agree with Geo or not, you have to admire his passion for his causes for change and challenging the NCAA. Kid wants to make a difference and is forcing a discussion that needs to be had. These are good kids and they part of a group that changed the culture of Rutgers basketball on and off the court.

But what has these last two seasons brought us as fans. Well for one it has exorcised so much negativity that has consumed Rutgers fans for 30 years. Never did I think when I was at RU as a junior in 91 it was going to take so long to get back to the dance. A 30 year journey, 25 of them on the message boards for some that was just filled with seasons of one step forward, two steps back. Near misses and false starts. We never understood as fans what winning was about because our season highlights were upsetting Syracuse or beating Seton Hall in the Big East tournament or coming back from 12 down to beat Villanova. Those are nice moments in Rutgers history but there were no tourney appearances to validate them. The past two seasons, Rutgers got the wins and won in bunches and that is how you build a NCAA tourney resume.

Man how great was it last year when early bracketology came out and RU was projected in the field, first solidly in the field and then falling down to the last in/last out line as they needed a road win. This is what we signed up for. Rutgers being talked about all over. We dreamed of these moments for years. This year the same thing, to see RU in the projected brackets matched up against UConn or North Carolina. Then the buildup and anticipation to Selection Sunday knowing that Rutgers' name was going to be called. Its old hat for most programs but us it was new, we were like schoolgirls. Seeing Rutgers name flash on the screen was a surreal moment for all of us. This was really happening. RU on the brackets. No Duke, No Kentucky but Rutgers????!!! RU being a sexy 10 seed pick to win over Clemson. Are you kidding me? Times are a changing.

Rutgers getting their night in the spotlight vs Clemson and not just happy to be there. Taking it to Clemson and winning in a gritty effort. It was an impressive performance for sure. Survive and advance, anything can happen in the NCAA tournament. I had no doubt RU was going to compete against Houston. Houston is good but this is not the kind of 2 seed to fear. RU was shaky early but then took it to Houston beating them at their own game. Truly last night was one of RU's best overall defensive efforts of the season for about 35 minutes before it fell part. That is the shame, RU positioned itself and played well enough to win for 35 minutes but could not seize the day. Tourney games are won by making plays. Houston did and Rutgers did not. You want to leave it on the court with no regrets and I am sure that the team is hurting knowing that things could have been different. Honestly I thought experienced mattered in the end game. Houston has been here before. Rutgers has not. Yes alot of big games in the Big 10 and a NCAA tourney win under their belt but experience in the moment of closing out and reaching the Sweet 16, I really thought that it hurt Rutgers late. At the end of the day there is no shame in losing to a 2 seed. Plenty of schools went down to defeat some with higher aspirations...ask Ohio State, ask Illinois, ask Iowa.

Last night was crushing but we will bounce back as fans just as the players will move on and bounce back. These two years were an incredible ride. As fans ups and downs are part of being fans. The ecstasy does not come without agony at times. We all know that. Only one team is crowned champion. Rutgers did indeed have their one shining moment on the court and most of all the fans were treated to an experience we deserved after all these years. It was everything they said it would be. The loss last night will never take that away. What comes next is unknown given roster uncertainties and possible transfers in. One chapter ends and a new one will begin. With Coach Pikiell rewriting Rutgers history, its going to be interesting to watch how the next chapter is written.

Last edited:
That was a tremendous recap Bac. You spelled it out perfectly. We are all hurting today, but the future is very bright.

I am sure the coaching staff will "re-load" if we have players that have played their last game at Rutgers. The uncertainty of the roster is kind of unique, but now that the staff has tasted the NCAA tournament, I am sure they will do their due diligence in putting together a very competitive roster for next year.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: bac2therac
Proud of this team and what they’ve accomplished, especially over these past two seasons.

Last night, 10-seeded Rutgers gave 2-seeded Houston all they could handle, in a thrilling matchup on the national stage.

Despite everything that happened, good and bad, one bounce of the ball off the rim was the difference, and that’s not enough for me to lose faith in this team. I’m a fan for life.

Glory days ahead...

Nice recap . I am confused, didn’t you think this would be a northwestern type rebuild ? That this was the high point .

Nice recap . I am confused, didn’t you think this would be a northwestern type rebuild ? That this was the high point .

potentially....depends on who leaves and who we bring in. Yes I do expect a possible drop off where we might fall back for a year or two toward the 10-12 spot in league but if we do well with the portal we can bridge that and ease any drop off. I wouldnt say we are a NCAA team every year and I am okay with that because Pike will build it back up again.

The portal will be a primary recruiting source going forward, as seasoned players will be available the following year to the new team. If Pike can effectively recruit the portal we should be able to reload quickly and not have to wait years for hs players to develop.

No offense but lots of names out there now who may be better than the group that is leaving.

Last edited:
Tremendous post. A couple thoughts from me (not always the most valuable thing, I recognize):

1. These players and coaches deserve our thanks. Forget basketball for a second. Think about what they had to sacrifice over the last 12 months just to potentially play basketball for Rutgers. How many of us would be willing to give up our friends & family for a year? And through it all, not a single Covid issue (one game postponement, but that was due to PSU, not us). That is a remarkable achievement. Same goes to Schiano and the football team.

2. I still feel sick over last night, but damn did we put in the effort to win. One of our best performances since December. Everyone was contributing, everyone was giving effort. It felt like they were playing for each other. The end game strategy can be dissected forever, but no one can say we weren’t good enough to win. Sure, too many things went against us (I mean, what are the odds of the missed dunk AND the missed layup AND the missed opportunity to gain possession by knocking the ball off a UH player....what are the odds of all of those things going against us....just change one of those outcomes and we probably win). But gelled as a team very well last night.

3. This team took us places we haven’t been as a fan base, and every last one of them deserves our thanks for that, and what they had to go through for it to happen. Pike, his the transfer portal hard and keep the trajectory of this program moving up!

This might be an unpopular take, but I don't think we would have beaten Syracuse again. They are way better than they were in December, and lets face it, we are not as good as we were in December.

Usually after a game I am consumed with reading every single thread, every single post and I did that until about midnight but then felt for my own sanity it would be better to just invoke the 12 hour rule. What's done is done. Reliving it through your mind will drive you nuts. Lord knows Rutgers history is filled with these moments. There are points on both sides of the coin on taking the air out vs playing to win. At the end of the day, the result is still the same. As crushing a loss as it was for us fans, its has to be 10x as tough for the players and coaching staff. Again tough to do a game recap with my immediate reactions and not the first time this year either, sometimes this team would make you pull your hair out.

The two year run of this particular group of kids is what we all signed up for. A thrill ride of watching a program develop before our eyes. This team will always be defined by its work ethic and grit and as well documented, its not always going to be pretty. Rutgers earned their way into the tournament in 2020 with two thrilling victories down the stretch vs Maryland and Purdue. Then they had their opportunity ripped away from them by a nasty virus. Covid would pose challenges for every school this season. Some handled it better than others. Some probably did everything right and still had Covid issues. You have to give Rutgers, the university and the entire staff and players major credit for getting through this season without any Covid issues and sticking to it mentally. I think the whole Covid situation added a new wrinkle to analyzing everything where unless you were actually these kids in their bubble, you had no idea what they had to go through. What could be criticized in normal years in retrospect might be better off given a pass this year. The program held sway through the ebbs and flows of a brutal Big 10 schedule and came out with its first NCAA tourney bid in 30 years. That is historic and they were not just satisfied being there for the first time in 30 years, they delivered Rutgers first NCAA tournament win in 38 years!

Beyond the performance on the court, Rutgers fans should be proud of what a great representation these players are for their university off the court as well. Myles the Brilliant...how great was it seeing that piece on the Journey and then the one on CBS about him. Such a role model for the black community and trying to encourage more minorities to get into STEM and engineering. Agree with Geo or not, you have to admire his passion for his causes for change and challenging the NCAA. Kid wants to make a difference and is forcing a discussion that needs to be had. These are good kids and they part of a group that changed the culture of Rutgers basketball on and off the court.

But what has these last two seasons brought us as fans. Well for one it has exorcised so much negativity that has consumed Rutgers fans for 30 years. Never did I think when I was at RU as a junior in 91 it was going to take so long to get back to the dance. A 30 year journey, 25 of them on the message boards for some that was just filled with seasons of one step forward, two steps back. Near misses and false starts. We never understood as fans what winning was about because our season highlights were upsetting Syracuse or beating Seton Hall in the Big East tournament or coming back from 12 down to beat Villanova. Those are nice moments in Rutgers history but there were no tourney appearances to validate them. The past two seasons, Rutgers got the wins and won in bunches and that is how you build a NCAA tourney resume.

Man how great was it last year when early bracketology came out and RU was projected in the field, first solidly in the field and then falling down to the last in/last out line as they needed a road win. This is what we signed up for. Rutgers being talked about all over. We dreamed of these moments for years. This year the same thing, to see RU in the projected brackets matched up against UConn or North Carolina. Then the buildup and anticipation to Selection Sunday knowing that Rutgers' name was going to be called. Its old hat for most programs but us it was new, we were like schoolgirls. Seeing Rutgers name flash on the screen was a surreal moment for all of us. This was really happening. RU on the brackets. No Duke, No Kentucky but Rutgers????!!! RU being a sexy 10 seed pick to win over Clemson. Are you kidding me? Times are a changing.

Rutgers getting their night in the spotlight vs Clemson and not just happy to be there. Taking it to Clemson and winning in a gritty effort. It was an impressive performance for sure. Survive and advance, anything can happen in the NCAA tournament. I had no doubt RU was going to compete against Houston. Houston is good but this is not the kind of 2 seed to fear. RU was shaky early but then took it to Houston beating them at their own game. Truly last night was one of RU's best overall defensive efforts of the season for about 35 minutes before it fell part. That is the shame, RU positioned itself and played well enough to win for 35 minutes but could not seize the day. Tourney games are won by making plays. Houston did and Rutgers did not. You want to leave it on the court with no regrets and I am sure that the team is hurting knowing that things could have been different. Honestly I thought experienced mattered in the end game. Houston has been here before. Rutgers has not. Yes alot of big games in the Big 10 and a NCAA tourney win under their belt but experience in the moment of closing out and reaching the Sweet 16, I really thought that it hurt Rutgers late. At the end of the day there is no shame in losing to a 2 seed. Plenty of schools went down to defeat some with higher aspirations...ask Ohio State, ask Illinois, ask Iowa.

Last night was crushing but we will bounce back as fans just as the players will move on and bounce back. These two years were an incredible ride. As fans ups and downs are part of being fans. The ecstasy does not come without agony at times. We all know that. Only one team is crowned champion. Rutgers did indeed have their one shining moment on the court and most of all the fans were treated to an experience we deserved after all these years. It was everything they said it would be. The loss last night will never take that away. What comes next is unknown given roster uncertainties and possible transfers in. One chapter ends and a new one will begin. With Coach Pikiell rewriting Rutgers history, its going to be interesting to watch how the next chapter is written.

+1766

MO

There's got to be a morning after
If we can hold on through the night
We have a chance to find the sunshine
Let's keep on looking for the light
Oh, can't you see the morning after?
It's waiting right outside the storm
Why don't we cross the bridge together
And find a place that's safe and warm?
It's not too late, we should be giving
Only with love can we climb
It's not too late, not while we're living
Let's put our hands out in time
We're moving closer to the shore
I know we'll be there by tomorrow
And we'll escape the darkness
We won't be searching anymore
(There's got to be a morning after)
(repeat and fade out)

Tremendous post. A couple thoughts from me (not always the most valuable thing, I recognize):

1. These players and coaches deserve our thanks. Forget basketball for a second. Think about what they had to sacrifice over the last 12 months just to potentially play basketball for Rutgers. How many of us would be willing to give up our friends & family for a year? And through it all, not a single Covid issue (one game postponement, but that was due to PSU, not us). That is a remarkable achievement. Same goes to Schiano and the football team.

2. I still feel sick over last night, but damn did we put in the effort to win. One of our best performances since December. Everyone was contributing, everyone was giving effort. It felt like they were playing for each other. The end game strategy can be dissected forever, but no one can say we weren’t good enough to win. Sure, too many things went against us (I mean, what are the odds of the missed dunk AND the missed layup AND the missed opportunity to gain possession by knocking the ball off a UH player....what are the odds of all of those things going against us....just change one of those outcomes and we probably win). But gelled as a team very well last night.

3. This team took us places we haven’t been as a fan base, and every last one of them deserves our thanks for that, and what they had to go through for it to happen. Pike, his the transfer portal hard and keep the trajectory of this program moving up!

thanks...like point 2...we didnt lose because we were not good enough to win...we were toe to toe with a 2 seed and it was our best overall game since maybe Michigan State or since Purdue. our defensive effort was exceptional til the last 5 minutes.

Reactions: cshelley
This might be an unpopular take, but I don't think we would have beaten Syracuse again. They are way better than they were in December, and lets face it, we are not as good as we were in December.

agree...tougher challenge then before and lets be honest our offense not the same as back then. That said at this stage in the NCAA tourney all bets are off. People talk about our path is easy but dont judge teams on seeds anymore, judge on how the teams are playing right now. Obviously Oral Roberts, Oregon State, Cuse playing at different levels right now.

I feel like Syracuse is a one trick pony. If their shooters are hot, they will be tough to beat, but sooner or later they will have an off game and RU's perimeter defense was really strong when they are focused. Cuse doesn't really have any inside game. Guerrier is a nice player but not any dominant post player.

For those who have been around for many decades, this pivotal moment in Rutgers basketball evokes memories of another pivotal moment in 1976, after the 31-2 season and the Final Four. At that time, after that remarkable season , there was so much excitement and so much optimism. Many thought that the program would become a permanent fixture in the top 20. The elite recruits (Reggie Jackson, Milt Wagner) would come, facilities would drastically improve, and there would be many more NCAA years with great success. Unfortunately, Tom Young was never able to build off the remarkable 1976 season.
The elite recruits never came, new facilities were slow to develop, and the program never took off. All the optimism at the time
proved premature, and the program returned to mediocrity, with occasional limited success.

It feels different this time. The Big Ten affiliation, the major investment in new facilities, Pikiell's skills as a coach and as a recruiter, all seem to bode well for the future. Pikiell has the advantages that Tom Young never enjoyed. So this pivotal moment may lead to a much better outcome . Let's hope that our optimism this time will be justified.

As disappointing as the ending was, last season and our two game run this week should finally put an end to all those naysayers from other fan bases about the legitimacy of our program belonging in the B1G and on the big stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: IL Lusciato
It will be interesting to see how the basketball program performs after getting the first NCAA bid in 30 years.Both Tom Young and Bob Wenzel had great difficulty recruiting comparable talent after their NCAA Tournament experience.I think Pikiell must utilize the transfer portal as a major recruiting tool to minimize downward team performance after players graduate.

Reactions: Knightmoves
It will be interesting to see how the basketball program performs after getting the first NCAA bid in 30 years.Both Tom Young and Bob Wenzel had great difficulty recruiting comparable talent after their NCAA Tournament experience.I think Pikiell must utilize the transfer portal as a major recruiting tool to minimize downward team performance after players graduate.
Tom Young and Bob Wenzel did not have the Big Ten and the practice facility to sell to recruits

I stayed off posting, and only skimmed through the post-game posts, until now because it was a tough, tough loss. My first thought immediately after the game was toward the young men on the team, and the coaches. I feel so very bad for them. It's something that will stay with them, hopefully with some perspective, for the rest of their lives. My second thought came when I started to read the posts and saw the word "chocked" used. That was a horrible choice of words and our team does not deserve that from anyone outside of the team. Insofar as the game, they played wonderfully against a two seed and were close to an incredible upset. It was a joy to watch. Many of the posts that I've read today are upbeat and sensible and are keeping things in perspective. The coaches and players all deserve our thanks for a fun season, full of all the ups and downs that a fan expects to have. The off-season will be fun to speculate and to imagine next year's journey.

I stayed off posting, and only skimmed through the post-game posts, until now because it was a tough, tough loss. My first thought immediately after the game was toward the young men on the team, and the coaches. I feel so very bad for them. It's something that will stay with them, hopefully with some perspective, for the rest of their lives. My second thought came when I started to read the posts and saw the word "chocked" used. That was a horrible choice of words and our team does not deserve that from anyone outside of the team. Insofar as the game, they played wonderfully against a two seed and were close to an incredible upset. It was a joy to watch. Many of the posts that I've read today are upbeat and sensible and are keeping things in perspective. The coaches and players all deserve our thanks for a fun season, full of all the ups and downs that a fan expects to have. The off-season will be fun to speculate and to imagine next year's journey.

Great post. I particularly agree with your dislike of "choke." In all sports, it's very possible to lose a game at the very end and that's simply what happened last night. Sometimes another team gets lucky; sometimes what your team has done just stops working for no clear reason.

March Sadness for me... Worst day ever at work today. I need to go to one of those places that lets you break shit, or blow shit up. I can't imagine how the team feels today. I'm so angry on their behalf though.... i think i need therapy.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
March Sadness for me... Worst day ever at work today. I need to go to one of those places that lets you break shit, or blow shit up. I can't imagine how the team feels today. I'm so angry on their behalf though.... i think i need therapy.

I understand . . . but remember that none of this is life-and-death, just a pleasant diversion from the routine of everyday life. At any rate, try not to kill anybody, OK?

Great post Bac. I had to put my phone down last night as there were too many emotions. I tasted the Sweet 16 and I admit I lost perspective on what was a remarkable season and a season that I have been waiting for since 1995, my freshman year. This team will be etched in my memory forever and I am grateful for the last 2 years.

Bac - your title should have been "The Morning After" (repeat performance) with the Poseidon sinking for the last 4 minutes last night...lol

Great post and great year for the team !

A curse has been lifted and hopefully NCAA appearances become the norm and standard!

Will always be grateful for what Geo; JY and Myles did for RU BB !

Reactions: bac2therac
Great Post! Of course, immediate short term hurt last night. But the past two years have been a great ride for any Rutgers Basketball fan through the home games last year and the big wins this year. These are great kids and very easy to root for. I love March Madness. But for the first time in 30 years, at the end, very appreciative to have a meaningful March weekend. It's a heck of a lot better than watching everyone else's teams. We will have our ups and downs but this program is in so much better shape than what we have seen in the past 3 decades.

great post bac
i am stuck on vision i cant get out of my head .. houston hero and academy award winner dramatically rubbing hip in excruciating pain yet out there making plays and no fouls being called except on our side. our guys hurt but suffer in silence. well played by Al Jurreau "moonlighting" the refs nursing instincts..sympathy calls only against Jersey bullies ? just coincidence? probably just my bitter imagination.

Last edited:
I think we were Sunday night! We had a great stretch of basketball!

bac, this is you’re BEST recap — in a pantheon of terrific recaps — you have ever written. Places the last two seasons perfectly in context, and captures all of the salient points.

Well done, sir.

Tom Young and Bob Wenzel did not have the Big Ten and the practice facility to sell to recruits
While that comment is true,what is the excuse for the Rutgers coaches when the team was a Big East member?Young and Wenzel both complained not being a member of the Big East impacted recruiting.

While that comment is true,what is the excuse for the Rutgers coaches when the team was a Big East member?Young and Wenzel both complained not being a member of the Big East impacted recruiting.

By that time, if I recall correctly, the Big East had declined in stature. You'll remember that it once had three of the top teams in the nation (Georgetown, Villanova. St. John's).

By that time, if I recall correctly, the Big East had declined in stature. You'll remember that it once had three of the top teams in the nation (Georgetown, Villanova. St. John's).

My recall is that by the time RU joined the Big East we were hopelessly behind the top BE MBB teams in terms of talent.

Even Gary Waters lost 2/3 of his BE games. I remember some real BE ass kickings at the RAC by Nova and Syracuse while Mulcahy was AD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT