ADVERTISEMENT

Most Hated Coaches in College Football

scarlethead

Junior
Jan 30, 2004
I'm realizing more and more that I just don't like Harbaugh and he's easily the college football coach I like the least. He's arrogant, self serving, bullying...and unless he's your coach, he's just not likeable at all.

It got me wondering who the most hated coaches in college football are and how do they compare with Harbaugh. I know guys like Saban, Meyer and Spurrier were top of the list. To me, Harbaugh makes Meyer seem affable.

Thoughts?

Reactions: brgRC90
There were lots of guys, that Baylor HC who got fired, he was pure scum.

Franklin at PSU burn every bridge within his 1st year.

I don't think there is much doubt that Harbaugh will win at Michigan. The only question is whether any of those wins come against that team from Ohio. If they are consistently playing second fiddle to OSU, it will be interesting to see how long before those traits of Harbaugh you live with as your HC become grating after a while.

Most people hate guys who are winners and beat their team. Understandable.

I for one like Meyer and the Ol Ball coach. Haubaurgh? The guy is just not likeable. Quite annoying actually. I would need to take a shower after he came into my home and sold Mich to my son. Good coach though

Reactions: joshk ru03
Leach.. having a player sit in a hot equipment shed? No matter how entitled Craig James's son acted.. that is just the sign of an a-hole coach.

Charlie Weiss with his "X's and Os inherent advantage".. hated it.

I'm realizing more and more that I just don't like Harbaugh and he's easily the college football coach I like the least. He's arrogant, self serving, bullying...and unless he's your coach, he's just not likeable at all.

It got me wondering who the most hated coaches in college football are and how do they compare with Harbaugh. I know guys like Saban, Meyer and Spurrier were top of the list. To me, Harbaugh makes Meyer seem affable.

Thoughts?

The common theme is winners are hated by opposing schools.

Reactions: dconifer
The common theme is winners are hated by opposing schools.
Yeah but my point really is that Harbaugh takes it to a new level. I think he's so unlikeable even schools that don't have Michigan as an opponent could loathe him.

I actually can appreciate Meyer, Saban, Shaw, Dantonio. I'm wondering is there anyone worse than Harbaugh?

Long list for me, but I don't put Meyer on it. What has he ever done other than win (and quit at UF)?

for starters:

Harbaugh
Brian Kelly -- A-hole
Penis-head (duh)
Freeze -- please don't tell me he doesn't cheat his ass off, or its' not him that he doesn't know what is going on. amazing how they went from also ran to recruiting at the top of the SEC overnight, isn't it?
Saban--just because he has zero personality
Leach-- D bag

Leach.. having a player sit in a hot equipment shed? No matter how entitled Craig James's son acted.. that is just the sign of an a-hole coach.

Charlie Weiss with his "X's and Os inherent advantage".. hated it.
That's not what happened.

Reactions: Abro1975
I don't hate Harbaugh. Don't like him either but realize he's just using the system to his advantage. He does seem a wee bit off center but it works for him.

Kelly at ND does appear to be a real jerk.

Reactions: ManasquanMike
I don't think there is much doubt that Harbaugh will win at Michigan. The only question is whether any of those wins come against that team from Ohio. If they are consistently playing second fiddle to OSU, it will be interesting to see how long before those traits of Harbaugh you live with as your HC become grating after a while.

I think if Harbaugh could beat Pete Carroll at PC's zenith at USC, he will be able to swipe a few W's from Meyer.

Harbaugh, Harbaugh and Harbaugh. Easily the most arrogant, whiny baby out there from his obnoxious press conferences to his sideline demeanor. His antics represent the University of Michigan fanbase perfectly. I hope Sparty beats Michigan to a pulp for years to come.

Satan, I mean Saban. I also want to believe that Pat Haden fired Lane Kiffin at 3AM and not allowed on the team bus for a reason. Jimbo Fisher is somewhat of a douche canoe. I would need to watch the FSU version of Hard Knocks on Showtime to confirm that.

Surprised not to see Petrino mentioned in this thread.

In the NFL, after watching Hard Knocks, I don't see how anyone could play for Rams DC Gregg Williams, who came off as a annoying combination of ahole and douche, yet the Ram are avoiding "7 and 9 BS" for now.

Most people hate guys who are winners and beat their team. Understandable.

I for one like Meyer and the Ol Ball coach. Haubaurgh? The guy is just not likeable. Quite annoying actually. I would need to take a shower after he came into my home and sold Mich to my son. Good coach though

So you won't let him sleep over in your kid's bedroom? That has to be the creepiest story I heard from him thus far.

Also you just know that Tenn and Old Miss are paying a ton of money for players to keep up with Bama.

Clemson HC was doing all kinds of weird religious stuff like having team baptisms and other bizarre things you normally don't hear about in public schools.

Reactions: joshk ru03
Harbaugh for sure. Just never been a fan of his.
Brian Kellly = A-hole, Saban because he is super shady and $EC dirty, Edsall as well, but that is more personal than across the board.
I actually respect Meyer. Very straight guy, no bs.

That's not what happened.

Damn close to what happened...maybe a difference without distinction.. I said he put him in an equipment shed.. and he did. So where am I wrong?

from this SI lnk

Pincock's report that James had a concussion guaranteed that he wouldn't get much practice time leading up to the Alamo Bowl. Fed up, Leach told Pincock to isolate James from the team for the duration of practice.

"Put his f---ing p---- ass in a place so dark that the only way he knows he has a d--- is to reach down and touch it," Leach told Pincock.

At Leach's insistence, Pincock shared that statement with James. Then he led him off the field to a shed that housed blocking dummies, watercoolers, an ice machine and an ATV. Injured players would sometimes go there to ride a stationary bike. Virtually spotless, the brand-new structure had a tacky, rubberlike floor and an overhead, garage-style pull-down door, as well as a man door on the side. There were overhead lights but no windows. Aided by freshman student-trainer Jordan Williams, Pincock removed anything that James could sit on and made sure the lights were off. He told James that Leach wanted him to remain standing in the dark for the duration of practice. Then he closed the door.

Last edited:
Nick Saban, because: he criticizes his now back-up QB for wanting to transfer, while conveniently forgetting than he bailed out on Michigan State, LSU, and the Dolphins.

Harbaugh and Kelly, who is getting so frustrated this year that he's openly blaming the players for losses. But God I love to see Notre Dame flopping.

Reactions: Hubcityknights
Long list for me, but I don't put Meyer on it. What has he ever done other than win (and quit at UF)?

for starters:

Harbaugh
Brian Kelly -- A-hole
Penis-head (duh)
Freeze -- please don't tell me he doesn't cheat his ass off, or its' not him that he doesn't know what is going on. amazing how they went from also ran to recruiting at the top of the SEC overnight, isn't it?
Leach-- D bag

My LSU boys think once the hammer comes down on Ole Miss it's going to be near-death penalty'ish. That's how shady their recruiting has been the last few years.

for starters:

Harbaugh
Brian Kelly -- A-hole
Penis-head (duh)
Leach-- D bag
Penis head? Sorry but Politi is not a football coach, he just thinks he is.

Worst = Franklin - because he is not only a blowhard and conceited but he is also unsuccessful. Insulted RU and MD when he first came into B1G and has delivered nothing to Pennsyltucky State. I hope he remains PSU coach for years because he is limited in his talent and results in spite of having a large recruiting advantage with their history and 100k stadium.

Will end up hating Harbaugh even more after the game Saturday. He's going to run up the score big time, and then run onto the field for the post game handshake wearing a Paramus Catholic hat.

Reactions: candid
My most disliked coach in football is Kyle Flood. He never deserved to be a head coach at this level. And he wrecked Rutgers football for many years to come. And yet so many people thought he was a Good Guy till nearly the end.

Harbaugh, Harbaugh and Harbaugh. Easily the most arrogant, whiny baby out there from his obnoxious press conferences to his sideline demeanor. His antics represent the University of Michigan fanbase perfectly. I hope Sparty beats Michigan to a pulp for years to come.

This may not be a very popular post but I think Sparty beating Michigan to a pulp in the near future is just not going to happen.
I believe you are in for disappointment.
I just have not seen the Arrogant behavior. Not sure what you feel he has whined about. Obnoxious press conference's? He says very little and has no patience for stupid questions he has already answered. Side line demeanor? Do you hate Woody Hayes? punched an opposing player in the throat, tore up down markers protesting a call?
By the way I loved the Bo and Woody years. That was football.
Woody was asked why he went for 2 against Michigan in the 4th quarter when the game was already decided. Answer? "Because I couldn't go for 3"
Yes I am seeing the world through Maize colored glasses.
To the world He may be an A hole but he is our A Hole.

Reactions: PharmD Blue
This may not be a very popular post but I think Sparty beating Michigan to a pulp in the near future is just not going to happen.
I just have not seen the Arrogant behavior. Not sure what you feel he has whined about. Obnoxious press conference's? He says very little and has no patience for stupid questions he has already answered. Side line demeanor? Do you hate Woody Hayes? punched an opposing player in the throat, tore up down markers protesting a call?
Woody was asked why he went for 2 against Michigan in the 4th quarter when the game was already decided. Answer? "Because I couldn't go for 3"

Everyone hates a winner.

No....everyone can't stand a loser. That's why Terry Shea and Kyle Flood were so disliked. They were completely inept.

There's no evidence of him whining on the sideline.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/11/10965284/jim-harbaugh-sec

Michigan State has won 7 out of 8 years. I'll take Dantonio over Harbaugh any day of the week.

There's no evidence of him whining on the sideline.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/2/11/10965284/jim-harbaugh-sec

Michigan State has won 7 out of 8 years. I'll take Dantonio over Harbaugh any day of the week.

A coach complaining about calls on the sideline during a game. Now that's new.
7 of 8 for MSU? 1 involved Harbaugh and it was a fluke win. I have all the respect in the world for Dantonio. What he has done at MSU is nothing short of amazing. You are welcome to take Dantonio but it has nothing to do with the original point.
A coach getting angry over bad calls does not =whining.

A coach complaining about calls on the sideline during a game. Now that's new.
7 of 8 for MSU? 1 involved Harbaugh and it was a fluke win. I have all the respect in the world for Dantonio. What he has done at MSU is nothing short of amazing. You are welcome to take Dantonio but it has nothing to do with the original point.
A coach getting angry over bad calls does not =whining.

He's crying and whining all the time. All coaches complain at some point or another, most don't whine about the calls every game except for Harbaugh. He's an arrogant crybaby. You're right about "to the world he's an Ahole".

Dantonio is still little brother's coach and your point was I may be in for a disappointment with the results of future Spartan - Michigan games. I'll take my chances with Dantonio and program continuing to dominate Michigan. You call last year a fluke. I call it the Spartans going into your home and beating Michigan for the 7th time in 8 years.

He's crying and whining all the time. All coaches complain at some point or another, most don't whine about the calls every game except for Harbaugh. He's an arrogant crybaby. You're right about "to the world he's an Ahole".

Dantonio is still little brother's coach and your point was I may be in for a disappointment with the results of future Spartan - Michigan games. I'll take my chances with Dantonio and program continuing to dominate Michigan. You call last year a fluke. I call it the Spartans going into your home and beating Michigan for the 7th time in 8 years.

big surprise.
So are you betting MSU straight up this year? If so I would like a piece of that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT