ADVERTISEMENT

Most uninspired effort under Pike era

mugrat86

All American
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2014
Just pathetic effort tonight. Myles Johnson looked disinterested, Geo just awful on D. Rebounding and defense atrocious. We must have missed 15 shots within 5 feet of basket. Mathis gets shot blocked more than any player I ever seen. He also needs to learn how to pass the ball. Paul only guy who hustled whole game and the pass to Mathis was highlight of season.

very tough to watch game, but still love Pike

Agree so hard to watch to get out rebounded and play such poor defense. Total lackluster effort. They deserved to lose by 30 tonight. What a joke. I can deal with a slump in shooting but the rest is hard to stomach. We literally are a team with no identity.

Reactions: biker7766
Team played hard for only 8-10 minutes. Not sure why it takes Harper so long to get going. Cliff and Myles should be on the floor at the same time for periods of time to dominate the glass. No sense of urgency by this team or coaching staff.

Team played hard for only 8-10 minutes. Not sure why it takes Harper so long to get going. Cliff and Myles should be on the floor at the same time for periods of time to dominate the glass. No sense of urgency by this team or coaching staff.

cliff is a liability right now. His defense and rebounding was not good at all and offensively he cannot catch the ball

Reactions: shields and hiwater
At this point, I am wondering if Rutgers will make the NIT. That said it is not uncommon to have a down year following a breakout year. Various factors have conspired to have them be this unwatchable, but on the Brightside, I think this team will be much better next year.

I agree with everything you said, but additionally we had a litany of turnovers (largely in the first half) due to lazy passes and lack of awareness. Until the last 10 minutes of the game the guys looked timid, lacked effort and were playing with no confidence. This team is so hard to watch right now

I agree with everything you said, but additionally we had a litany of turnovers (largely in the first half) due to lazy passes and lack of awareness. Until the last 10 minutes of the game the guys looked timid, lacked effort and were playing with no confidence. This team is so hard to watch right now
We shouldve scheduled a scrub and kicked the living crap out of them during the bye to get our confidence back. It's confidence this team needs more than anything.

The coaching is poor too. Offensively, Harper should have been planted on the low block with O run through him all night and I think we did it twice all night. We are a poor shooting team that spends 4/5 of the shot clock moving the ball from one covered guy to the next outside the 3 point line. The drop off in D and rebounding is incredible too.

The coaching is poor too. Offensively, Harper should have been planted on the low block with O run through him all night and I think we did it twice all night. We are a poor shooting team that spends 4/5 of the shot clock moving the ball from one covered guy to the next outside the 3 point line. The drop off in D and rebounding is incredible too.
Exactly ; penn state has no low post presence . We could have put Ron down there and played off him. He most likely would have commanded a double and gotten guys open looks that way. Instead we play 1 on 1 selfish basketball with turnover after turnover

Reactions: seansherm
Next game I would park Harper on block and let him get to foul line more. He is the only quality FT shooter. I would tell Tez to stop driving the ball to basket since his shot seems to get blocked 80% of time and he misses his free throws the other 20. I would sit Baker as he need to still recover.

Sadly Geo looks like a shell of what he was last year. Why doesn't Pike go with the starters who were starting when we won?

The lack of an entire game effort over the last 6 games,no desire and hustle,which it takes to rebound and play defense COMBINED with the lack of any real set offense,reflects badly on the coaching staff. If you cant motivate your players,and have them ready to play,or send a message to those who only think its important to put an effort when THEY deem it necessary, reflects back on the Coach. This is stand alone issues from how embarrassing they are at foul shooting,with ZERO improvement from last year. Pike may just be too nice of a guy to coach at this level.

We need some Rashod Kent and Tom Savage attitude out there.

I’m tired of hearing about the Yeboah loss. That’s one player. We have the same freaking conference record as our football team. A football team that couldn’t score last year. We’re not 3-6 because we lost Yeboah

I’m tired of hearing about the Yeboah loss. That’s one player. We have the same freaking conference record as our football team. A football team that couldn’t score last year. We’re not 3-6 because we lost Yeboah
No, we're 3-6 because our upperclassmen are all divas and prima donnas and Pike is too nice to put them in their places.

This is a team of average shooters at best. Is it any wonder why we shoot free throws at such a poor pace? This is recruiting.
I don’t know the game enough to really comment but are those guys the hardest to find?

you left out Harper, his defensive effort was awful....I watched him closely, worst effort on the team. Had a nice stretch when he got hot, but can't happen to our supposed best player.

Reactions: biker7766
Yehoah on this team would make a huge difference. Probably our 3rd best player last year and he hasn't been replaced at all. EO replaces Shaq adequately, but while he did nothing great, Yeboah did everything well. Shoot, defend, rebound. He was like the adult in the room. Couple that with the guys who were more important playing worse than they did LY and this is what it looks like. A team that can't shoot and doesn't really have lateral quickness to play consistent man defense

this is pretty much a spot on review of Rutgers basketball last night and last 6 games.

Jerry Carino
@NJHoopsHaven

·
14h

Thanks for all the well-wishes. . I watched the Rutgers game -- awful hero-ball performance against a shorthanded team that doesn't play D. It'll be do-or-die at Indiana Sunday.

The early schedule 3 pointers were fools gold. Now the team settles for contested 3's , doesnt rebound , doesnt defend, rarely gets to the line and when they do they miss.

• Field Goal %
    96th
    45.9 FG%
  • 3-point %
    104th
    35.3 3P%
  • Points Scored
    115th
    954 Pts
  • Total Rebounds
    139th
    36.8 RPG

Yehoah on this team would make a huge difference. Probably our 3rd best player last year and he hasn't been replaced at all. EO replaces Shaq adequately, but while he did nothing great, Yeboah did everything well. Shoot, defend, rebound. He was like the adult in the room. Couple that with the guys who were more important playing worse than they did LY and this is what it looks like. A team that can't shoot and doesn't really have lateral quickness to play consistent man defense
Guys graduating is part of the sport. You don’t fall behind by 20 to the last place team in the conference because you lost one player from the team last year. We beat Purdue without Harper and Cliff. We beat Illinois. We beat Maryland easily. We played Iowa down to the last possession. We went from playing like a top 20 team to playing like the worst team in the conference. That has nothing to do with losing Yeboah

Reactions: GoFish2 and shields
Guys graduating is part of the sport. You don’t fall behind by 20 to the last place team in the conference because you lost one player from the team last year. We beat Purdue without Harper and Cliff. We beat Illinois. We beat Maryland easily. We played Iowa down to the last possession. We went from playing like a top 20 team to playing like the worst team in the conference. That has nothing to do with losing Yeboah
Agree, but when you don’t replace that graduating performance, you go backwards. On nights this team makes shots, it will beat people. It’s not a good shooting team, so those wins will be fewer and farther between. Other than blocking shots, there is very little this team is plus average at right now.

Agree, but when you don’t replace that graduating performance, you go backwards. On nights this team makes shots, it will beat people. It’s not a good shooting team, so those wins will be fewer and farther between. Other than blocking shots, there is very little this team is plus average at right now.
I agree that a team can go backwards if they don’t replace someone. My problem is it shouldn’t regress this much. That’s bigger than losing Yeboah. Not having Yeboah has nothing to do with the effort being dog crap on D

I agree that a team can go backwards if they don’t replace someone. My problem is it shouldn’t regress this much. That’s bigger than losing Yeboah. Not having Yeboah has nothing to do with the effort being dog crap on D
I just think we are slow. Not sure if we got slower Year over Year. Both forward and laterally slow. Seems guys are getting beat off the dribble more. Then our help D is so helter skelter that teams almost always end up with an open look if they move the ball.

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT