ADVERTISEMENT

Olympic Sports Movement among RHoops coaching staff

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Rutgers men’s basketball finalized its full staff for the upcoming season with the addition of Tom Barrett to the staff as the Director of External Operations. Barrett joins the program following four seasons at Sacred Heart, and also brings Division I experience from his time at Maine, Delaware and Temple.

Barrett comes to Rutgers from Sacred Heart, where he spent the past four seasons as the team’s Coordinator of Men’s Basketball Operations. With the Pioneers, he was responsible for organizing recruiting information and visits, tracking analytics, preparing scouting reports, coordinating film of practice and games, arranging teams travel plans and meals and coordinating community service events.

Barrett came to SHU after serving as the Director of Operations and Recruiting Coordinator at Maine. At Maine, Barrett was responsible for scheduling, maintaining the program budget and coordination of student managers.

Barrett also spent a season at the University of Delaware as the team’s video coordinator. For the Blue Hens he oversaw film exchange with opponents and coordinated film edits of practice and games.

Barrett began his postgraduate career in basketball in 2012 at Downingtown East High School in Exton, Pa. He spent three years as the junior varsity head coach and as an assistant with the varsity team.

He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from Temple in 2012. He served as a student manager for the Owls from 2009-2012.

To complete the staff, the Scarlet Knights will move T.J. Thompson into an assistant coaching role. Thompson has spent the past two years on the staff as the team’s Director of Basketball Administration. Steve Hayn will move into a new role as the Chief of Staff. Hayn has been on Rutgers’ staff since 2016 in a variety of roles, serving as both senior advisor and assistant coach. Mike Larkin will move into a new position as the Director of Basketball Operations. Larkin joined the program in 2019 as the team’s Special Assistant to the Head Coach. Barrett will be the program’s Director of External Operations, coming to RU following four seasons at Sacred Heart.

What is Chief of Staff ? Hayn’s new Role. Does he sort of organize all activities for Pike and keep all things centralized and consolidated for Pike?

I like Coach Hayn personally (extremely nice man) and professionally. I'm just trying to understand what his new role is.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hayne will most likely be scouting, recruiting (not on the road), and consulting. I believe similar to his role when he first joined the program.

ADVERTISEMENT