ADVERTISEMENT

MSG Holiday Festival Question

• Thread starter anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
  • Start date
A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

This may be a dumb question but is it a legit tournament? Or is it just one game vs Fordham and whether we win or lose there's no finals/consolation game?

AHHH!! 1978 !!! that Holiday Festival at the Garden was magical, triple OT against Herb Williams and Ohio St., the beer, the weed, the whole city lit up in all it's Christmas pageantry.

My uncle took me as a kid. Two upsets in the opening game put it RU-Ohio State. St Johns came from a 15+ point blowout at halftime to beat Dook in the opener that Knight.

The whole Garden was full of "RU" chants. From what I remember of game James Bailey had 2 steals/1+ dunks in the 1st/2nd OT to win it. Cowd went bonkers. Though I remember little arguably the best RU game of any sort ever (I'd vote it #2 or #3 after the Penn State A-10 Championship at the RAC in 1990 and the UCLA game 35 years ago this past Saturday Knight).

Used to be an even bigger deal before I started following it. Wasn't it 8 teams at one point way back? In addition to Rutgers 1978 classic, I remember seeing a tournament with St. John's vs. Kansas in the opener and Indiana vs. Villanova in the second game. It used to be a big deal but the emphasis has shifted from X-mas tournaments to November/season openers.

Besides the Ohio State OT win in 1979 I remember Rutgers and Charlie Weiler?/Andre Lamerioux (the overgrown beach boy) totally dominating the much overhyped Shawn Bradley and Brigham Young? in another game.

Vaguely remember this. Want to say we played Kentucky in the next round and got smoked.

Think we played Maryland in the other game. Think BYU was the consolation game.

December 1990.

Last edited:
Vaguely remember this. Want to say we played Kentucky in the next round and got smoked.

Was the the game we played Kentucky? with a massive 5-star player from Jersey? We were under the basket p*ssing him off and (though ready to kills us) took it out on RU.
Pre 2001 I would have been there with Shields, post 2001 with PiscatwayMike. Think the former.

The Kentucky game was 1992. We got hammered by Jamal Mashburn. NJ's Rodderick Rhodes was on that team coached by Pitino. That was the year we had almost beat Dook at the Meadowlands a few weeks before in a sudden bad snowstorm when Damon Santiago played Bobby Holiey well.

For me the Dook "game" (though I must have still gone to games with that crew) may have been the "final straw" with one crew member-eventually transitioning over to my current football crew who attend each game and donate after 2004 (still had tickets with my Dad until he developed lung cancer in 2003). Maybe still a bit miffed from never being reimbursed for the UCLA win at the Meadowlands and two season tickets that weren't used all the time (not working while my friends worked), my friend who used to mooch a lot came to my house for the Dook game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/s...-for-the-holidays-kentucky-and-st-john-s.html

My friend arrived at my house and suddenly it was blizzarding at 2 inches an hour. Trying to wait it out my Dad RIP made myself, the "moocher" and Shields? dinner. It was stll snowing heavily and I couldn't really ask the friend to drive to the Meadowlands. Of course my luck the snow ends too late to make the game and the "moocher" had yet to pay me for my ticket (I was at the start of long term unemployed-in part because my MOM had just passed at age 56). Never got reimbursed and didn't do all too many games with that guy again.

The Kentucky game was 1992. We got hammered by Jamal Mashburn. NJ's Rodderick Rhodes was on that team coached by Pitino. That was the year we had almost beat Dook at the Meadowlands a few weeks before in a sudden bad snowstorm when Damon Santiago played Bobby Holiey well.

For me the Dook "game" (though I must have still gone to games with that crew) may have been the "final straw" with one crew member-eventually transitioning over to my current football crew who attend each game and donate after 2004 (still had tickets with my Dad until he developed lung cancer in 2003). Maybe still a bit miffed from never being reimbursed for the UCLA win at the Meadowlands and two season tickets that weren't used all the time (not working while my friends worked), my friend who used to mooch a lot came to my house for the Dook game.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/29/s...-for-the-holidays-kentucky-and-st-john-s.html

My friend arrived at my house and suddenly it was blizzarding at 2 inches an hour. Trying to wait it out my Dad RIP made myself, the "moocher" and Shields? dinner. It was stll snowing heavily and I couldn't really ask the friend to drive to the Meadowlands. Of course my luck the snow ends too late to make the game and the "moocher" had yet to pay me for my ticket (I was at the start of long term unemployed-in part because my MOM had just passed at age 56). Never got reimbursed and didn't do all too many games with that guy again.

Damon Santiago OUTplayed Bobby Hurley I felt

Think we played Maryland in the other game. Think BYU was the consolation game.

December 1990.

The Colonial is correct. December 29, 1992. Consolation game of Maryland-South Carolina. However I remember Andre Lamerioux or maybe Charlie Weiler schooling Bradley (surprising me) and not Keith Hughes (I would expect such). I remember Lamerioux/Weiler dominating a Mormon guy-had to be Bradley.

Was this the game where someone said the whole student body at the Garden was trashed pre game?
Yes it was ! But you got to remember in the 60's and 70's RU was always a huge draw at the Garden, a real event. I remember this game very distinctly, taking the train in from NB with my brother Tom and some friends. We went to the Blarney Stone for a few and the place was packed with RU fans all in a holiday mood. Even out on the streets around MSG you could see all the RU faithful. The game itself was one on the best college games I ever witnessed ! and inside the Garden the beer continued to flow and yes the students were quite trashed but not unruly. There was always something magical at the Garden when we played there and this game will always exemplify that.

Reactions: AshSaturday
Yes it was ! But you got to remember in the 60's and 70's RU was always a huge draw at the Garden, a real event. I remember this game very distinctly, taking the train in from NB with my brother Tom and some friends. We went to the Blarney Stone for a few and the place was packed with RU fans all in a holiday mood. Even out on the streets around MSG you could see all the RU faithful. The game itself was one on the best college games I ever witnessed ! and inside the Garden the beer continued to flow and yes the students were quite trashed but not unruly. There was always something magical at the Garden when we played there and this game will always exemplify that.

That was probably my 1st year following Rutgers, maybe 2nd. I remember listening to WRSU as a 16? year old and the announcers gave Rutgers no chance at winning the first game, let alone second. Fourth out of four they predicted. Plus R Final Four team for the most part sans Bailey, had graduated.
That WAS a loud crowd.

Yes the Garden had some great matchups back then-when Rutgers was good it lead to incredible games. I remember? seeing my other future alma mater North Carolina beat RU with a lights out shooting Phil Ford (and? 350 lb human pick Geoff Crompton).

Wasn't it also at the Garden where is was a back and forth game between Louisville (with Camden connection) and RU where Louisvlle's coach Denny Crum? went into Dean Smith's 4 corners with about 10 minutes left in the game with a 2-6 point lead? ( P*ssing al the Rutgers fans off-but winning?).

Wasn't it also at the Garden where is was a back and forth game between Louisville (with Camden connection) and RU where Louisvlle's coach Denny Crum? went into Dean Smith's 4 corners with about 10 minutes left in the game with a 2-6 point lead? ( P*ssing al the Rutgers fans off-but winning?).
December 1982 against Louisville. Hinson's senior year. Was a kid and didn't know anything about Rutgers basketball but when I saw headline in Star Ledger that Louisville went into a stall to beat Rutgers that got my attention. Whoa. My first recollection of the Final Four was watching the Doctors of Dunk in 1980 so that really made an impression.

ADVERTISEMENT