ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy

Sure. Your original point said that he could be all conference if shot more and got a floater. I responded that, even without shooting more, he's already outside the league top 30 in 3-point shooting %. Then you guessed that he shot better than the majority of forwards and guards in the leauge, meaning he's top half. I responded that top half isn't all conference, your original point. You asked me to explain. I just did.
My comment was that he shot a higher 3PT % than a majority of the guards and forwards in last year's all conference team.

And just following that up with a quick peek at the all conference team, it looks like I'm right. Taking out the true bigs from the equation and just looking at guards and small forwards, most shot a lower 3PT FG% than the 36.6% that Mulcahy is listed as shooting now.

Last edited:
Paul is improving in all facets of the game. Above all, he has become a very good defender. Great to see
He is good at help defense but he is still a very poor defender as he cannot stay with anyone of quickness and he often gets caught off his man leaving him wide open for 3 pointers watch the Michigan first half Wagner repeatedly torched him and blew by him and Wagner is 6'9"

He is good at help defense but he is still a very poor defender as he cannot stay with anyone of quickness and he often gets caught off his man leaving him wide open for 3 pointers watch the Michigan first half Wagner repeatedly torched him and blew by him and Wagner is 6'9"
I think he's become an above average defender, with his help D being stronger than his on ball D. But still a net plus.

Reactions: Unionst and TRU2RU
Sure. Your original point said that he could be all conference if shot more and got a floater. I responded that, even without shooting more, he's already outside the league top 30 in 3-point shooting %. Then you guessed that he shot better than the majority of forwards and guards in the league, meaning he's top half. I responded that top half isn't all conference, your original point. You asked me to explain. I just did.

He said he shot better than the majority of guards and forwards on the All-B1G team, not the league.

Reactions: Eagleton96
When you see players suddenly jump up in points/game, it's usually because they jumped up in minutes. Generally players don't double their scoring when they're already getting nearly 30 min/game.

Not saying it's impossible, or that Mulcahy's scoring won't improve over the next two years as he starts looking more for his shot - but doubling up is a tall order.
During the Michigan game announcers pointed out how two scorers moved to Michigan and became more role players.. Even as starters. We have shooter.. PM could and should shoot more in specific cases.. But his best value could be in assists, boards and help D. I saw him find and box out #23 last night on the D boards.. That was nice and not uncommon

My comment was that he shot a higher 3PT % than a majority of the guards and forwards in last year's all conference team.

And just following that up with a quick peek at the all conference team, it looks like I'm right. Taking out the true bigs from the equation and just looking at guards and small forwards, most shot a lower 3PT FG% than the 36.6% that Mulcahy is listed as shooting now.

Ah, my bad.

But I think that weakens your point further. If in fact most on the all B1G Ten team shot at a level that likely wouldn’t have put them in the top 30 of league shooting, the voters were crediting something other that 3 point shooting percentage. And since that’s really the only stat that you point to for Paul, how’s he getting in? It seems that you want to muse into existence a whole new Paul and then place him on the All Conference team.

I should note also that 3 of those guy are in the NBA and the fourth was drafted by a G League team. And that's the level you're suggesting Mulcahy will be at if he just shoots more and learns a floater. . . .

Last edited:
He's 37% from 3. Why doesn't he take more? That could be a game changer for his game and this team. A floater, plus more aggressive shooting, and he'd be all conference. Seems like these are things that can be coached. I'd like to see him open up more.
He finally shot more from the outside in yesterday's game. I'm sure the coaching staff is on him to take more shots when he's open. We have all seen him dribble inside and instead of shooting he looks to pass it. Sometimes that works brilliantly and other times he ends up forcing a pass that goes to the other team. IMO, he needs to shoot more especially when he's open outside.

I think that was pretty clearly stated in my original post that this is what I was doing. Glad you finally caught on lol.
Ok. Please muse a little more speed into his defense and give him a step-back too. With the floater and the 37% from three, we’ve got a player of the year candidate!

Next up: MJ can shoot.

Someone will have to take a larger playmaker role once JY and Geo move on. Paul has shown a pass first approach but if he takes 4 more shots per game on his drives, he will score more and open up more passing lanes as defenses start to focus more on him. I don't know about all conference but a 10 pt, 4.5 assist, 5 rebound PM who plays good help defense would be great for us. He is at 5.8 pts, 3 assists, 3.6 boards now so it is well within reach in two years.

Someone will have to take a larger playmaker role once JY and Geo move on. Paul has shown a pass first approach but if he takes 4 more shots per game on his drives, he will score more and open up more passing lanes as defenses start to focus more on him. I don't know about all conference but a 10 pt, 4.5 assist, 5 rebound PM who plays good help defense would be great for us. He is at 5.8 pts, 3 assists, 3.6 boards now so it is well within reach in two years.

Next year Harper will need to be in peak shape and Jones will need to give us offense.

Paul needs to shoot more, but not shooting becomes less of an issue if he plays 20 minutes like against Indiana as opposed to the 30 minutes a game he’d been around playing with 2.3 shots a game. Can’t have that.

But he fit In really well with our core 4 last game because of what he does off the ball on offense (MOVES) and he rebounds well enough that I think he has to be playing more minutes than Mathis and McConnell

Defensively he can’t stop ball but if he plays less minutes and stays efficient off ball on offense we can live with that because we defend well as a team.

Next year we will need something different from Paul but this year if Geo and JY play 32+ minutes and keep Paul off the ball more than he has been (good adjustment by Pike against Indiana) than he can keep doing what he’sdoing.

Offensively, I'd also like to see a more aggressive Paul. But not so much from the three-point line. Moreso when he gets in the lane. He's got to be able to simultaneously make strong scoring moves--elevate and attack rim-- while also having the vision for drop offs or kick outs. Defensively, I think he's an outstanding help defender. But he's never going to be able to cover a quick 6'2" guard, so it's really matchups. He's got to get to the point we're he's effective against those 6'6", 6'7" wings, guys his size. At the very top of that group in the league would be someone like Weiskampf. He doesn't have to stop Weiskampf, but he's got to handle lesser versions of him.

Reactions: satnom
Next up: MJ can shoot.
MJ should eschew Space Camp this summer for a Big Man Camp (enginerd joke)... that little hook could be great for him but it just doesn't go in enough. He needs to watch film of Garza outside and say to himself.. with practice.. I can do that. Once opponents worry about that he can dish for open threes (as help comes to him) or sucker a big man outside then beat him to the rim.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Ah, my bad.

But I think that weakens your point further. If in fact most on the all B1G Ten team shot at a level that likely wouldn’t have put them in the top 30 of league shooting, the voters were crediting something other that 3 point shooting percentage. And since that’s really the only stat that you point to for Paul, how’s he getting in? It seems that you want to muse into existence a whole new Paul and then place him on the All Conference team.

I should note also that 3 of those guy are in the NBA and the fourth was drafted by a G League team. And that's the level you're suggesting Mulcahy will be at if he just shoots more and learns a floater. . . .
This is your third reference to Top 30, why is this such an important metric? What is PM's actual rank?

This is your third reference to Top 30, why is this such an important metric? What is PM's actual rank?
Not sure exactly. I think he's just outside the top 30. But, if his current best skill--the one that provides the supposed foundation for a future all conference selection--falls outside the league top 30, he's already not performing that particular skill at an all conference level. Even just outside the top 20 wouldn't qualify. You better do other things incredibly well--all-conferencely well. Put another way, if you're looking for him to add other skills to the thing you think he already does best to thereby become an all conference player, it's worth looking at whether the thing you believe he currently does best is even good enough. Right now, it isn't.

Now, the OP clarified that he's just hoping that Paul develops into an all confernce player. On that, we can all agree.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Not sure exactly. I think he's just outside the top 30. But, if his current best skill--the one that provides the supposed foundation for a future all conference selection--falls outside the league top 30, he's already not performing that particular skill at an all conference level. Even just outside the top 20 wouldn't qualify. You better do other things incredibly well--all-conferencely well. Put another way, if you're looking for him to add other skills to the thing you think he already does best to thereby become an all conference player, it's worth looking at whether the thing you believe he currently does best is even good enough. Right now, it isn't.

Now, the OP clarified that he's just hoping that Paul develops into an all confernce player. On that, we can all agree.
Nobody said that was his best skill! I was saying that it was a decent enough foundation to build on if he was ABLE to EXPAND his offensive game...building on his passing and general vision, AND adding a floater that opened up his passing and playmaking.

Don't confuse the strawman you made up yourself to argue against with something that someone else actually said.

Last edited:
PM Big Ten stats

assists apg 17th in Big Ten
assist/TO ratio 13th in Big Ten

I tried to lokup 3pt FG% but the Big Ten stats page had only 1 name.. then I checked the ESPN conference stats page sorted by 3pt fg%.. no Paul Mulcahy .. he is 16 for 41 from 3.. I see someone with 49 3PA listed.. so he must fall just under the limit.. in any case, his 36.6% woud have him tie for number 33.. but he is second best to Jacob Young on the team

So.. this artificial litmus test of "Top 30" is BS.. Harper and Baker wouldn't pass that test. Interestingly, PM is shooting 46% from three on the road.

Reactions: Eagleton96
PM Big Ten stats

assists apg 17th in Big Ten
assist/TO ratio 13th in Big Ten

I tried to lokup 3pt FG% but the Big Ten stats page had only 1 name.. then I checked the ESPN conference stats page sorted by 3pt fg%.. no Paul Mulcahy .. he is 16 for 41 from 3.. I see someone with 49 3PA listed.. so he must fall just under the limit.. in any case, his 36.6% woud have him tie for number 33.. but he is second best to Jacob Young on the team

So.. this artificial litmus test of "Top 30" is BS.. Harper and Baker wouldn't pass that test. Interestingly, PM is shooting 46% from three on the road.
It's also just a waste of time to go into this level of depth arguing against my original point, which was just a random hypothetical in the first place.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
Nobody said that was his best skill! I was saying that it was a decent enough foundation to build on if he was ABLE to EXPAND his offensive game...building on his passing and general vision, AND adding a floater that opened up his passing and playmaking.

Don't confuse the strawman you made up yourself to argue against with something that someone else actually said.
That's right. Three-point shooting wasn't his best skill. It's just the one that, in your mind, was a foundation to build on. Even in this last post, you deviate from that within the same sentence and add that he should also build on his passing and his vision. You're everywhere. There's no strawmen here, just you shucking and jiving with every new post as folks challenge your original opinion, which you posted in a new thread and invited comments on. Your musings and ever more malleable positions on how he can become all conference make it hard to even know what you're saying. But here's where you started:

He's 37% from 3. Why doesn't he take more? That could be a game changer for his game and this team. A floater, plus more aggressive shooting, and he'd be all conference. Seems like these are things that can be coached. I'd like to see him open up more.​

That's right. Three-point shooting wasn't his best skill. It's just the one that, in your mind, was a foundation to build on. Even in this last post, you deviate from that within the same sentence and add that he should also build on his passing and his vision. You're everywhere. There's no strawmen here, just you shucking and jiving with every new post as folks challenge your original opinion, which you posted in a new thread and invited comments on. Your musings and ever more malleable positions on how he can become all conference make it hard to even know what you're saying. But here's where you started:

He's 37% from 3. Why doesn't he take more? That could be a game changer for his game and this team. A floater, plus more aggressive shooting, and he'd be all conference. Seems like these are things that can be coached. I'd like to see him open up more.​
You just want to fight. No thanks. Good day sir!

It's all just so very squirmy.
Baloney. Your quote of his was fine. If he shot 37% from 3 and doubled or trippled the number of threes.. He would be all-conference. How can you doubt that? He'd be a double digits scorer along with his other value.

Whether it's possible is a completely different issue

Last edited:
Reactions: RUChoppin
If it were that simple, 30 other guys would shoot more too, and Paul still wouldn’t make all conference.

Let’s move on to less goofy topics.

H
Baloney. Your quote of his was fine. If he shot 37% from 3 and doubled or trippled the number of threes.. He would be all-conference. How can you doubt that? He'd be a double digits scorer along with his other value.

Whether it's possible is a completely different issue
It wasn’t even my main point. I was just pointing out that I thought he’s got room to grow as a scorer and I’d like to see him open up his game and take a few more shots and that’ll make a big difference for us. But you know, fighters gonna fight.

Comparing a real low volume shooter against a high volume shooter has little relevance.

What about this....The 36% 3 point shooter ups his 3 point shots per game to 20 per game. He would average 24 points per game.... 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
H

It wasn’t even my main point. I was just pointing out that I thought he’s got room to grow as a scorer and I’d like to see him open up his game and take a few more shots and that’ll make a big difference for us. But you know, fighters gonna fight.
Of coarse he’ll get better

Of coarse he’ll get better
So why do you think arguing with a hypothetical is a good idea? The "given" was that he shoots alot more and maintains the 37% 3-point shooting. Instead of 6 points a game he goes to 12 or even 18.. is that a third team all-Big Ten number? Joe Weiskamp was 3rd team last year with a 14pt average. So.. how can you argue that PM wouldn't be at least honorable mention with numbers like that? You make no sense.

Just to stir things up for fun, from the Nebraska game's 3PT Shooting stats:

Mulcahy: 2-3
Harper 0-4
Baker 0-6
Young 0-4
McConnell 0-2
Mathis 0-3

Hard to be a higher volume scorer with so many other "shooters" on your team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT