ADVERTISEMENT

My Father Sent Me to Old Rutgers...

I don't hear anyone singing that crap they now call the Alma Mater up in 207 at SHI
This is the version we sing

Where was that video taken? That’s not an on-campus facility is it?

Wow great videos thanks!!!

Which reminds me of the two people on my RU shit list:

1. the guy who wrote the new alma mater lyrics
  2. whoever decided to change the songs at the BB games. Two things are missing. First, it was our tradition to play down the last minute of warm ups with "Colonel Rutgers" and it was always timed just right to start at about 58 seconds so the last note of the song sync'd up with the buzzer. WTF?? Also, at least twice during time outs the band would play "Vive Le Rutgers Sons" which is catchy. Not to be creepy about it but dance team and cheerleaders always had a nice routine to go with that too. Can we change that back please?
And before anyone goes accusing me of being old and stuffy about this and how we need to have a DJ to change with the times: first of all STFU, and second of all, if you want to know why, go to UM or ND and see if they would change any of their analogous traditions. They'd run you out of town so fast you wouldn't know what hit you.

Next year on opening night Sweet Pea and I are protesting in front of the RAC!! Who's with us?

Thanks for posting. Great videos. I LOVE our Alma Mater and am still upset that it was changed. I am still not over the tweak from "my boys" to "my friends", never mind the entire redo of the first stanza. In today's cancel culture, we will never get it back to the way it was and should be. My group at Football games refuses to sing it the new way.

Reactions: RU-AGK
I still sing it the old way and don’t let others influence me with anything else, so I certainly won’t with a song. It is crazy, though, that we now have people singing three different versions.

Reactions: RU-AGK
Thanks for posting. Great videos. I LOVE our Alma Mater and am still upset that it was changed. I am still not over the tweak from "my boys" to "my friends", never mind the entire redo of the first stanza. In today's cancel culture, we will never get it back to the way it was and should be. My group at Football games refuses to sing it the new way.
That part never really bothered me.

But to piggyback on what @Joey Bacala was saying about traditions...I used to love hearing from the ladies at the Stadium or the RAC yelling “or a woman!” when it came to the “...and resolved that I become a man.” part of the song.

That makes it us and now.

New version should be Alma Parentes (And my Latin endings are probably incorrect for any classicists out there) - I’ll stick with the Alma Mater

it's not that they changed it......... it's that the most recent version sucks.

it's just bad.

I actually complained to the AD at the time-Julie Hermann (?sp) about the new version being
put on the video board at the Stadium. Shock #1: I received a response.
Shock #2: She said she had no control over what was put on the video board at the Stadium.
Athletic Director? Shows what a weak ass AD she was. I could have had some respect for her if she said she agreed with the change. I still would have disagreed that the change was necessary.

I never felt I was singing about myself when I sang the Alma Mater.
I was singing the words of a long ago Rutgers student. That is why a female could also sing the "become a man" line as all Rutgers students were men until my incoming class, the class of 1976. So women were Rutgers College students for the first time in Sept 1972.

ADVERTISEMENT