ADVERTISEMENT

My nephew is visiting Rutgers..

RutgersSam

All American
Nov 6, 2004
He's a junior in high school in southern Jersey, and I'm not that familiar with the RU campus anymore. What are the nicest areas/buildings for him to see? Any new, impressive parts of campus these days? He's also into athletics so I'm assuming he should visit the Hale center/stadium area?

Note: he's considering State Penn as well, so I feel like I've failed as an uncle. He used to like Rutgers football growing up but since Ash completely demoralized the fanbase, he barely mentions RU any longer. So I hope he's pleasantly surprised with the campus and facilities.

Last edited:
Brand new Honors College and dorms on College Avenue
Brand new RWJ Barnabas Center On Livingston
New dorms, dining hall, movie theaters, restaurants on Livingston
Brand New Rutgers theaters for opera, music and plays at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center next to The State Theater-Musical Theater Major starting soon
Brand new Engineering,Pharmacy, and Chemistry buildings on Busch

Last edited:
Rodkin Center will be for all teams academics and training facility for both lacrosse teams and both soccer teams-it is next to Rutgers Stadium
New indoor baseball and softball facility is next to The RAC

I'm not that familiar with the campus anymore. What are the nicest areas/buildings for him to see? Any new, impressive parts of campus these days? He's also into athletics so I'm assuming he should visit the Hale center/stadium area?
Livingston Campus is the most impressive from a modern standard, if that is important. Start at the business school, walk towards Henry's Diner, around past the shops/restauarants/movie theater. You will also see the brand new RWJ Barnabas Athletic Performance Center.

While still needing sprucing up, starting at "The Yard" (where the Grease Trucks used to be) on College Ave is a nice spot to start. Walk up Seminary Place almost to George Street, and you will see the Honors College on the North side of the street. You can cut across Seminary and walk through the oldest part of the campus all of the way to Somerset past Old Queens.

Busch Campus has quite a few new impressive buildings too. The Visitors Center might be a good place to start. Walk down to the new Battaglia Practice fields. You will see the Rodkin Academic Success building under construction. If you walk back towards the academic part of the campus, there are two very impressive new buildings--the Weeks Engineering Building and the Chemistry building.

You will be amazed at the amount of new construction.

Our son is a freshman in the Honors College and he loves it at Rutgers.

Brand new Honors College and dorms on College Avenue
Brand new RWJ Barnabas Center On Livingston
New dorms, dining hall, movie theaters, restaurants in Livingston
Brand New Rutgers theaters for music and plays at the New Brunswick Performing Arts Center next to The State Theater
Brand new Engineering,Pharmacy, and Chemistry buildings on Busch
Nice summary - the campus has been dramatically upgraded and it is harder than ever to get into the school. Of course the counter impact is that lots of NJ kids (and their parents of course) who cant get in blast the school.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Almost forgot, brand new Business School building on Livingston
Brand new Jewish Center On College Avenue

Sam,one of my nephews looked at a ton of colleges, small to big, close and far away
Was admitted to almost all, including Rutgers
Finally it came down to State Penn and Florida
Had seen Florida campus in the past, but just for a football game
Went back for a tour of Florida and basically made up his mind, but visited State Penn anyway
In his sophomore year at Gainesville and loves it
If he doesn’t go to Rutgers, you might want to take a look at UF, which is ranked number nine in the country among public colleges
Hope he enjoys his Rutgers visit and best of luck to your family

Reactions: RutgersSam
Sam,one of my nephews looked at a ton of colleges, small to big, close and far away
Was admitted to almost all, including Rutgers
Finally it came down to State Penn and Florida
Had seen Florida campus in the past, but just for a football game
Went back for a tour of Florida and basically made up his mind, but visited State Penn anyway
In his sophomore year at Gainesville and loves it
If he doesn’t go to Rutgers, you might want to take a look at UF, which is ranked number nine in the country among public colleges
Hope he enjoys his Rutgers visit and best of luck to your family
Think UCLA and UC Berkeley are #1 and #2 for public colleges.

Livingston Campus is the most impressive from a modern standard, if that is important. Start at the business school, walk towards Henry's Diner, around past the shops/restauarants/movie theater. You will also see the brand new RWJ Barnabas Athletic Performance Center.

While still needing sprucing up, starting at "The Yard" (where the Grease Trucks used to be) on College Ave is a nice spot to start. Walk up Seminary Place almost to George Street, and you will see the Honors College on the North side of the street. You can cut across Seminary and walk through the oldest part of the campus all of the way to Somerset past Old Queens.

Busch Campus has quite a few new impressive buildings too. The Visitors Center might be a good place to start. Walk down to the new Battaglia Practice fields. You will see the Rodkin Academic Success building under construction. If you walk back towards the academic part of the campus, there are two very impressive new buildings--the Weeks Engineering Building and the Chemistry building.

You will be amazed at the amount of new construction.

Our son is a freshman in the Honors College and he loves it at Rutgers.
Knight Shift - what grades and SAT scores do you think is needed to be accepted into the Honors Program? Wondering because my son just applied to RU.

Knight Shift - what grades and SAT scores do you think is needed to be accepted into the Honors Program? Wondering because my son just applied to RU.
Grades, I don't know--my son went to a school that did not rank the students, but he had a high overall average, something like 98 or 99. Seems the minimum SAT is around1500, maybe a bit lower--1470. It keeps edging higher each year. I just asked my son, and he said there are some students lower than that number, but they had strong extracurricular activities. All of the students we have met in the Honors College have been extremely nice, grounded young people. We are really happy he wound up at Rutgers.

Tell him to walk into RU Grill at 2:30am. He’ll probably bag some pizza monster and be sold on RU

The most impressive part of Rutgers the College Avenue Campus. Take your nephew there and be sure to walk around, not just drive through it. Walk through Voorhees Mall and the Yard. Stop by Scarlet Fever and buy him a shirt.

Grades, I don't know--my son went to a school that did not rank the students, but he had a high overall average, something like 98 or 99. Seems the minimum SAT is around1500, maybe a bit lower--1470. It keeps edging higher each year. I just asked my son, and he said there are some students lower than that number, but they had strong extracurricular activities. All of the students we have met in the Honors College have been extremely nice, grounded young people. We are really happy he wound up at Rutgers.
Thanks you for the info - my son only applied to Engineering - we will see what happens.

Thanks you for the info - my son only applied to Engineering - we will see what happens.
What does he want to major in?
My son is majoring in Computer Science. He was admitted to School of Engineering and School of Arts and Sciences. The admittance into Engineering is more difficult. Best of luck to your son!!

Reactions: LC-88
Knight177, it is funny how different kids can be. I personally took my oldest nephew on a tour of Rutgers. We started out at Busch which he liked and then went to Livingston which he really liked. So far so good, right. We head over to the College Avenue Campus and I could tell by the look on his face, it killed the tour right there. Too many kids, the buses coming and going, and the crowded feel just turned him off right there. I went through the motions of showing him Douglass and Cook, but I knew he had crossed Rutgers off the list. I tried to tell him you can make the university as small or as big as you want it to be, but to no avail. He said if Rutgers was only the Livingston campus, he probably would have picked RU.

Don’t forget, if you know kids interested in Rutgers, the application deadline for the Piscataway/ New Brunswick campus is December 1.

Thanks Heaven! Great info, you're very informed on this subject, and quite articulate.

also--I have a grand daughter who attends PSU--and I have to tell you shes likes it there but it's a pain in the ass to get on rte 80 to get there, the drive seems to never end and honestly her mother wishes she went to RU like her brother--less drama and more money for her next kid's college and the education is not much different

The new Barnabas Athletic Performance center next to the RAC. If you ask nice you may be able to score a tour.
The student center on Livingston... You can treat him to lunch (without cocktails) upstairs at the Rutgers Club.. Which is pretty spectacular

Sam, you may want to mention to him that Rutgers has been ranked as one of the Top 50 universities IN THE WORLD for quite a while now.

RU has recently been ranked higher than PSU and honestly similar ru screw type of stuff goes on there also--all these big schools have them--for instance they have housing issues for freshmen--if you don't act fast enough you can be in housing with 8 other students in a modified dorm--they need new housing badly

Reactions: RUnTeX
Knight177, it is funny how different kids can be. I personally took my oldest nephew on a tour of Rutgers. We started out at Busch which he liked and then went to Livingston which he really liked. So far so good, right. We head over to the College Avenue Campus and I could tell by the look on his face, it killed the tour right there. Too many kids, the buses coming and going, and the crowded feel just turned him off right there. I went through the motions of showing him Douglass and Cook, but I knew he had crossed Rutgers off the list. I tried to tell him you can make the university as small or as big as you want it to be, but to no avail. He said if Rutgers was only the Livingston campus, he probably would have picked RU.

That is funny. To me, College Avenue was the place to be. It was what I had always pictured as a nice college campus. Everything was there, the nicest historic buildings, the town, the Greek houses, and the bars.

Reactions: Korbermeister
ADVERTISEMENT