ADVERTISEMENT

My new Eugene theory

RUSCFORMERLYRULOU

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2017
And this is in no way condoning how he handled this, which was NOT classy.
1. Yeboah comes in...Eugene doesn’t think twice about it.
2. Yeboah starts playing pick up games with the rest of the team (confirmed by Gettys yesterday). He impresses in all sorts of ways, and is healthy to boot. This is the key.
3. Eugene realizes, with the current state of his knee and the other guy’s skills, that he may lose a lot of minutes to this guy. He doesn’t tell anyone at RU his doubts, because he doesn’t want to seem sore/not willing to compete. Even though, to a degree, he is sore/not willing to compete.
4. He starts covertly reaching out to friends outside RU, and at least one coach says that he can get surgery, redshirt, and play a year.
5. For reasons undetermined, Eugene doesn’t want to do this at Rutgers. Maybe he knows that we would be bringing in a new 4 for 2020 in any case and doesn’t want to compete.
6. The instagram post.

Last edited:
If EO is willing to sit out a year it’s because his knee is not right to compete at the highest level. The fact he is willing to leave RU in order to do that is because he sees Yeboah taking minutes from him or taking over his position without skipping a beat for RU. The fact he’s leaving RU as a captain and one of the leaders of this team days after the school schedules a game in his backyard for him to play a game In front of friends and family shows that EO was not the leader of the team that his teammates and fans thought he was.

I think it’s great RU will be playing a game in Toronto because of the plethora of talent there to impress with a nice outing against St Bon.

The RU basketball program is finally bigger than any one player. I don’t compare this situation to prior times when the best player transferred out. EO would not have been the best player in the 2019-20 season.

GO RU

Reactions: RUMountie
These are guesses...just guesses.

I think it is more the realization that Yeboah is coming in to play his position and he has realized
A. Yeboah was told he would get minutes at the 4
B. meaning he'd play a lot of minutes by center.

Eugene is sensitive and is hurt. He feels with all that he is done for the program (plus playing with enormous pain and coming back twice earlier than he should have) a 1 year guy should not be brought in to take his position.

My uneducated guess. The only thing I know is that Eugene leaving came out of the blue.

These are guesses...just guesses.

I think it is more the realization that Yeboah is coming in to play his position and he has realized
A. Yeboah was told he would get minutes at the 4
B. meaning he'd play a lot of minutes by center.

Eugene is sensitive and is hurt. He feels with all that he is done for the program (plus playing with enormous pain and coming back twice earlier than he should have) a 1 year guy should not be brought in to take his position.

My uneducated guess. The only thing I know is that Eugene leaving came out of the blue.
Youre wrong. You are plain and simple wrong as usual. Eugene knew theyd go small at times which meant YEBOAH was gonna play the 5 and eugene the 4, the conversation was had. The fact is eugene didnt want to compete for minutes at the 4 when Myles was in. Eugene realizes the team pike wants, which is a true run and gun doesnt fit his style and a run and gun offense means harper and yeboah are significant upgrades at the 4 to eugene

The RU basketball program is finally bigger than any one player. I don’t compare this situation to prior times when the best player transferred out. EO would not have been the best player in the 2019-20 season.

GO RU

A healthy Eugene would have been our best player and it isn't even close.

Let's stop it with he wasn't that good AND
Assuming that Yeboah comes in and we don't miss a beat.

I am not saying Yeboah will be a bust, but how many times are we going to get fooled in to thinking newcomers are better than what they become. We have one on our roster that many expected to be our best player last year not on anyone's radar to play significant minutes this year.

I am not saying Yeboah will be a bust, but how many times are we going to get fooled in to thinking newcomers are better than what they become. We have one on our roster that many expected to be our best player last year not on anyone's radar to play significant minutes this year.
giphy.gif

Youre wrong. You are plain and simple wrong as usual. Eugene knew theyd go small at times which meant YEBOAH was gonna play the 5 and eugene the 4, the conversation was had. The fact is eugene didnt want to compete for minutes at the 4 when Myles was in. Eugene realizes the team pike wants, which is a true run and gun doesnt fit his style and a run and gun offense means harper and yeboah are significant upgrades at the 4 to eugene
still leaves them thin in depth in post play when matchup needed.

If EO is willing to sit out a year it’s because his knee is not right to compete at the highest level. The fact he is willing to leave RU in order to do that is because he sees Yeboah taking minutes from him or taking over his position without skipping a beat for RU. The fact he’s leaving RU as a captain and one of the leaders of this team days after the school schedules a game in his backyard for him to play a game In front of friends and family shows that EO was not the leader of the team that his teammates and fans thought he was.

I think it’s great RU will be playing a game in Toronto because of the plethora of talent there to impress with a nice outing against St Bon.

GO RU

If EO wants to sit out a year than neither the Toronto game or Yeboah would be a factor in the decision to transfer. He wouldn't be playing in Torontoand Yeboah would be gone when he starts playing again.

still leaves them thin in depth in post play when matchup needed.
We have 5 players that can play in the front court. Myles, Duke, Carter, Yeboah and Harper when we go small. We're fine. That's 80 minutes between 5 players. I'd break it down like this.

Myles- 23
Duke- 7
Yeboah- 30
Carter- 14
Harper- 6 (at the 4, alot more mins at the 3)

R-E-L-A-X we're fine

Reactions: rubigtimenow
If EO wants to sit out a year than neither the Toronto game or Yeboah would be a factor in the decision to transfer. He wouldn't be playing in Torontoand Yeboah would be gone when he starts playing again.

that's what kind of makes me pause.

I totally understood (didn't agree) why he would transfer when considering he would be sitting out a year and was able to be a free agent and look at his final year as the start of his "basketball career"

Rumors of Providence makes me think he was going to play this year and was hurt by us bringing in Yeboah.

I still don't know for sure if Eugene thinks he is playing THIS year at another school.

Either one of you might be correct but I just think it was not too classy for Eugene to decide to leave after everything that RU did for him. Pikiell offered him a scholarship and gave him the chance to shine. He raved about Eugene constantly and even arranged to play a game in Toronto near Eugene's home for his senior year. He made him a captain and Eugene decided to leave after the game was made official. That I believe was pretty low. I do admire Eugene for how hard he played for Rutgers and how hard he worked and wanted to get back on the court. He could have received a Rutgers degree which I believe means an awful lot. Now he will have a degree from a school not named Rutgers. That to me is a bit sad but it is his life. I wish him well.

Where is it stated what Gettys said about this situation?

I seriously doubt Eugene could play at another school this coming season. If he doesn't have a degree he would have to sit out a year. He could have done that at RU as well and even transferred as a grad transfer after sitting out at RU. Much of this just doesn't add up.

I’m choosing to look at this moment as the final spark of energy that gets us to post season. I’m not saying we are better without Eugene but I’m saying that others will now step up and win without him because that’s just what we need to do. We’ve come too far in this rebuild to have one player make or break us. Last year we learned to play as a team without Corey’s scoring and this will be no different.

This will be the last I will say about this kid. He made a poor decision and unfortunately, instead of remembering his great career and being cheered on senior night, his memory is going to be his underhanded departure and he will have no choice but to resent Rutgers for the rest of his life.

Next!

I seriously doubt Eugene could play at another school this coming season. If he doesn't have a degree he would have to sit out a year. He could have done that at RU as well and even transferred as a grad transfer after sitting out at RU. Much of this just doesn't add up.

I have no idea what kind of deadline there is. I assume if he is Canada now he isn't enrolled in college...maybe that is a bad assumption as you can probably take courses online.

If he was worried about pt this year that’s his choice but pike would have been a fool to not seek help (Yeboah) with a gimpy eo and openings on the roster. EO looks selfish on the face of things but who knows what else he was thinking about. He could have sat out at RU this year and stepped in next year into a great situation.

If he was worried about pt this year that’s his choice but pike would have been a fool to not seek help (Yeboah) with a gimpy eo and openings on the roster. EO looks selfish on the face of things but who knows what else he was thinking about. He could have sat out at RU this year and stepped in next year into a great situation.

I don't think he'd be worried about PT. I'd think he'd be more hurt.

Brian Leonard is a legend. Part of the legend was a star sacrificing to play full back because of Ray Rice. Not only did he make the change, but he was a mentor to Rice. Many people would have been hurt by being the man and putting Rutgers on the map and then move positions.

This isn't exactly that same situation, but somewhat similar. If my guesses are accurate Eugene is not Brian Leonard.

I don't think he'd be worried about PT. I'd think he'd be more hurt.

Brian Leonard is a legend. Part of the legend was a star sacrificing to play full back because of Ray Rice. Not only did he make the change, but he was a mentor to Rice. Many people would have been hurt by being the man and putting Rutgers on the map and then move positions.

This isn't exactly that same situation, but somewhat similar. If my guesses are accurate Eugene is not Brian Leonard.

So do you think it was wrong for Schiano to bring in Rice, thinking Leonard may have been “hurt”? Hard to criticize Pike for bringing in someone he thinks can be an impact player.

So do you think it was wrong for Schiano to bring in Rice, thinking Leonard may have been “hurt”? Hard to criticize Pike for bringing in someone he thinks can be an impact player.

Abolutely not. Rice was a 4 year player.

I said before all of this went down that there were pros and cons to getting Yeboah. I wasn't against bringing him I just said it was a bit more complicated then just filling roster spots.

Things here aren't black and white. We'd all like Eugene to be the perfect solider here, but he wasn't. We'd all like to think roster spot 1 thru 9 would be OK playing 3-4 less minutes per game. Bringing in a 1 year player when we had a ton of players for 200 minutes was a risk. Not having a contingency plan for Eugene could have been a bigger risk.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
Abolutely not. Rice was a 4 year player.

I said before all of this went down that there were pros and cons to getting Yeboah. I wasn't against bringing him I just said it was a bit more complicated then just filling roster spots.

Things here aren't black and white. We'd all like Eugene to be the perfect solider here, but he wasn't. We'd all like to think roster spot 1 thru 9 would be OK playing 3-4 less minutes per game. Bringing in a 1 year player when we had a ton of players for 200 minutes was a risk. Not having a contingency plan for Eugene could have been a bigger risk.

Fair enough. EO was the last person I thought would have issues.

A healthy Eugene might have been our most physical and vocal player down low but he wouldn’t be our best, never mind it not being close

Certainly not if the freshman take another step up. The way they like to play the game is much faster than what fits Eugene

IM NOT SAYING IM HAPPY HE LEFT

A healthy Eugene might have been our most physical and vocal player down low but he wouldn’t be our best, never mind it not being close

Certainly not if the freshman take another step up. The way they like to play the game is much faster than what fits Eugene

IM NOT SAYING IM HAPPY HE LEFT

I am sorry, but who do you think would be more valuable to '19-'20 team with a healthy Eugene?

Down the stretch of games last year you would see all kinds of combinations. the 2 constants were Geo and Eugene.

I am sorry, but who do you think would be more valuable to '19-'20 team with a healthy Eugene?

Down the stretch of games last year you would see all kinds of combinations. the 2 constants were Geo and Eugene.

Harper, young, Yeboah

I just don’t fall in love with players such as Freeman and Eugene as some people do on this board because of their “passion.”

Almost half of Eugene’s rebounds were offensive. How about we just shoot better? Sometimes rebound statistics are like tackles for Linebackers. It’s looks good on paper but no good if those tackles are 8 yards downfield

Not even close? Look at our roster and the freshmen that stepped up last season. I loved EO as a player but he was no better than Corey the year before and Corey had lesser talented and experienced teammates than EO and that isn’t even close!

Bottom line: EO has a serious knee issue and was not the same player at the end of season. That player if he did not sit out at RU in 2019 would not play the four position over Yebaoh or would lose significant minutes. He saw the writing on the wall and chose to leave instead of staying for reasons only he knows.

GO RU

Reactions: rubigtimenow

Harper, young, Yeboah

I just don’t fall in love with players such as Freeman and Eugene as some people do on this board because of their “passion.”

Almost half of Eugene’s rebounds were offensive. How about we just shoot better? Sometimes rebound statistics are like tackles for Linebackers. It’s looks good on paper but no good if those tackles are 8 yards downfield
I agree that Eugene took many freeman-like shots but overall he was a better offensive player imo over freeman. Freeman got a ton of rebounds but just wasted so many offensive possessions.

I think Yeboah is going to do very well but if Eugene was going to sit out this year, it wouldn’t have made a difference? I’m sure the real reason will eventually come out but at this point it just doesn’t matter. He’s gone so we should move on and see if there’s any worthwhile options for this year? If not, roll the two spots into 2020. No need to waste any openings to just fill the roster.

Reactions: satnom

Harper, young, Yeboah

I agree that Eugene took many freeman-like shots but overall he was a better offensive player imo over freeman. Freeman got a ton of rebounds but just wasted so many offensive possessions.

I think Yeboah is going to do very well but if Eugene was going to sit out this year, it wouldn’t have made a difference? I’m sure the real reason will eventually come out but at this point it just doesn’t matter. He’s gone so we should move on and see if there’s any worthwhile options for this year? If not, roll the two spots into 2020. No need to waste any openings to just fill the roster.
Also, nobody is mentioning the preferred walk on we got either? He’s actually really good and can shoot. He’s not a replacement for a senior captain but he’s another option on the floor

Also, nobody is mentioning the preferred walk on we got either? He’s actually really good and can shoot. He’s not a replacement for a senior captain but he’s another option on the floor

If a walk-on, preferred or not, is being counted on to give any kind of meaningful minutes, something has probably gone wrong.

I def think Eugene is better than Freeman. And again, it doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I would prefer he was going to be here and on the team

With that said

1) If no one on the team approved, we weren’t going to the NIT or NCAA anyway

2) I think we can all agree the freshman will take some nice steps forward

3) If they do, and Young and Yeboah play the way they are capable, EU would not be our best player, and certainly not going away

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Coffee always tastes better after it percolates!
Well, not for 24 hours. But agreed. :) I was really pissed about it yesterday. Now, time to move on. Eugene is person non grata as fast as I’m concerned for how he’s handled this. He is not welcome back on the banks.

Maybe Thiam just locked him in his room, threatened him, and wouldn’t let him out until he transferred.

It’s not the fact that he’s transferring that bothers me. He may have thought things out and felt that for personal reasons this is the best thing to do. What bothers me is the way that he did it. It shows a true lack of character. A real man of character would have called his coach had a heart to heart talk, explained what he was doing and then made an announcement in an appropriate way at an appropriate time.
It just shows a lack of respect for the Rutgers community that supported him so much over the past three years. To make an announcement over social media in the middle of the night that surely would have such far-reaching impact on so many people who followed him and cared about him reveals a tremendous defect in his character.
As a division head with responsibility for hiring people, if I heard this story about someone I would tell him he’s not the type of person I want working for me.

ADVERTISEMENT