ADVERTISEMENT

My plan for the Big Ten

mikemarc1

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2005
Stop at 20. 4 pods of 5. Add ND, Oregon, Washington, and Stanford.

WEST: A
1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Stanford
4. UCLA
5. USC

CENTRAL: B
1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. Purdue

NORTH: C
1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Indiana
4. Illinois
5. Northwestern

EAST: D
1. Penn State
2. Michigan
3. Michigan St
4. Rutgers
5. Maryland

Each pod plays the 4 other teams in there pod, plus one other pod. 9 games.

Each team also has a set rival in each pod, so the years they don't play that pod..they still play 2 more teams in other pods. That's 11 games.

The 12th game will be Thanksgiving weekend, with the top ranked teams in each pod playing each other, the 2nd ranked teams in each pod playing each other, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th..etc. Home teams would be set prior to the season..

The winner of these semifinal games plays in the Big Ten Championship. No need of OOC games, and the TV deal in this scenario would be massive, IMO.

Who's with me?

Too many games for the top team. 11 in the regular season, then 2 in the playoffs, then at least one bowl game and possibly two.

The playoff is part of the regular season. 12 regular season games, a Conf champ and a bowl game. That’s less then the top teams would be playing now

I love the division’s aspect you proposed. Agreed on that

unsure of your scheduling proposal . Hard to say you would do away with out of conference games, especially with some rivalries/interesting historic matchups that have been abandoned . I do love the idea of a conference semi final and final game. That would be huge money . I think the post season model does need changing. The weak bowl games vs inferior conferences aren’t going to fly anymore in this new super conference era. I like the idea of whoever doesn’t make the 4 team conference playoff , gets matched up with a team finishing in similar position from another pod for an extra final game. (Similar to what the B1G did in the COVID season, RU got Neb)

An enterprising person would buy all the domain names from Big13.com through Big50.com or so.

Wow…pods…that’s interesting! You should tell the b1g asap…you could be on to something 😉

Reactions: rubigtimenow

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Stanford
4. UCLA
5. USC

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. Purdue

1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Indiana
4. Illinois
5. Northwestern

1. Penn State
2. Michigan
3. Michigan St
4. Rutgers
5. Maryland

Each team also has a set rival in each pod, so the years they don't play that pod..they still play 2 more teams in other pods. That's 11 games.

The 12th game will be Thanksgiving weekend, with the top ranked teams in each pod playing each other, the 2nd ranked teams in each pod playing each other, the 3rd, 4th, and 5th..etc. Home teams would be set prior to the season..

The winner of these semifinal games plays in the Big Ten Championship. No need of OOC games, and the TV deal in this scenario would be massive, IMO.

Who's with me?
Good plan

I don't like a plan where you only play a team 1 out of 3 years and 1 out of 6 at home. I think it loses something.

Yes, I know RU have only played Minn and NW twice since 2014.

This is sorta like what happens when Paula Deen is around butter. I suppose her advice would be, “If you’re adding teams, then add some more.”

This certainly makes the geography better, so it definitely makes sense in that regard. USC and UCLA may be pushing for more teams as well but I have no inside information on that…

1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Stanford
4. UCLA
5. USC

1. Iowa
2. Nebraska
3. Minnesota
4. Notre Dame
5. Purdue

1. Wisconsin
2. Ohio State
3. Indiana
4. Illinois
5. Northwestern

1. Penn State
2. Michigan
3. Michigan St
4. Rutgers
5. Maryland

Who's with me?
Pretty much what I was thinking. Four pods & no OOC games. I also think you can host a pod semi final with the winners playing in the CG

Careful! Some in the South are itching for a rematch!
That’s hilarious and given which side is more armed and less worried about pronouns and defining other nonesense, the outcome would likely be QUITE different! 😎

if it comes to that, the asstin school should be kept from the festivities…as they ruin everything that they come in contact with! 😉

On a side note, I wish our Founding Fathers would have signed the Declaration of Independence in Mid April or late October. It was 109 heat index yesterday in Little Rock. Grilling was a whole new challenge in that heat!

Put THE Ohio State University, Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame, and Oregon in the same pod. They deserve each other.

ADVERTISEMENT