ADVERTISEMENT

My Take On Our Collapse

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
When a team suffers a collapse like ours has, it is commonly caused not by lack of effort, but by a change in coaching philosophy. Collapses like ours are macro problems, not micro issues such a player fouling too much or a two-game slump. Coaches don’t publicize their philosophical changes since it’s part of the game—keep other coaches guessing until they figure it out. After six games there was enough film and Izzo figured it out, and I’m not sure Pike knew or knows how to handle it with the current personnel we have. Not only were our players new to a national spotlight, Pikiell was too, and that’s part of breaking through into a culture of winning—one in which everyone, from the coaches on down, becomes accustomed to being on top and expects to win.

I’ll start with analogizing our current collapse to Schiano 1.0’s attempt to switch from pro set to spread sometime around 2008, and it turned into a disaster, so much so that two years later he abandoned it and went back to the pro set. He said we lacked the personnel for the change, and recruiting didn’t keep pace with the need for mobile linemen and a mobile QB. The players on the roster had been recruited for a particular skillset and type of offense, and when the change was made they weren’t suited for it. After 2006-7, we started losing more games than we’d become accustomed to even though we still had much of the same personnel, and the players took a lot more heat than was warranted. Some guys would miss blocks they shouldn’t have, wideouts dropped some balls, whatever—that’s on the players. But if players aren’t put in a position where what they are expected to do on a given play is going to work because the coaching philosophy isn’t yet right, the players will look worse than they might otherwise look when they themselves make a mistake. (@yesrutgers01, sound about right?)

Now to basketball. When Pike took the job we were a disaster. Like, complete fvcking train wreck, with no identity, no offense, no defense, no rebounding. Most coaches, and Pike was/is no exception, in doing a rebuild will start on the defensive side before working on the offensive sets and strategies. Pike said repeatedly that this was what he was doing. But what some of us have forgotten through those pressers was that the offenses have to grow into forming an identity of their own, and not just as a product of having the defense keeping things close enough so we have a shot at winning a game in the last two minutes. This was the year that we had the experienced personnel to begin running new sets and featuring different players who can shoot. It was no longer going to be the Geo-at-the-point show and putting the ball in his hands at the end of a game. We were going to play good defense, but the players now had more complex offensive sets and options to execute, and more players who will be involved. Jacob was going to run the point since he’s more of a 1 than a 2, and Geo is more natural 2 than a 1.

This year, Pike had personnel he could bring off the bench to give us fresh legs down the stretch, and the hope was that Palmquist would give us a pure shooter from downtown when he was in (which hasn’t materialized, as we know). Mag was gonna help rebound and play defense, and perhaps get a put-back or two. Enter: injuries. Geo goes out. Cliff goes out. Ronnie goes out. Mag goes out. The offensive flow we had was severely interrupted, and we didn’t have the personnel for the “next man up” mantra that’s bandied about so often. The roster is full of either new-style recruits who Pike recruited as scorers who can also play defense, or the older players who were recruited to play defense and hopefully develop into an offensive flow with the right coaching. Myles is a defensive player, not an offensive threat, for instance. Jaden Jones is an offensive threat when it’s his time to play, and that’s the next step in Rutgers’ identity as a program.

After there was enough film on what Pike was doing, which was spreading the floor and shooting from 3, Izzo realized that guarding the perimeter is the likely key to stopping us, which had never been an opponent's coach's strategy for us since we were never an outside threat. Given that Myles isn’t an offensive threat, and Ronnie, who is a combo 3-4 and was staying outside to shoot, we didn’t have a threat inside. Cliff doesn’t have inside skills yet, so even when we’re healthy, if you shut down the perimeter you shut down the new philosophy Pike has implemented.

Other than coach-speak, this would explain why Pike keeps saying that we have to work through our current problems, because switching philosophies from intense defense and one or two players shooting, to higher offensive production through multiple scorers is a big change. And now that the coaches are at a point where they just can’t flip a switch and go back to last year's style of play, they are left to figure out how to adapt the new philosophy to the personnel at the same time the other coaches have figured us out. We had an element of surprise to start the year, but that honeymoon would’ve come to an end anyway because other coaches were going to figure us out after a few games, then adjust. It might also explain the confusion the players are manifesting on the court, because not knowing what the philosophy is, or how to execute the in-game changes Pike is making (assuming he is), will look a lot like apathy or lethargy. Confusion causes hesitation, and a split-second hesitation at this level means you get torched.

This view comports with Jaden Jones’s skillset, which is high-level offense, and perhaps why he committed to us in the first place. Pike may have explained to him that we are making the switch to a higher-power offense, and we need a pure shooter who can also drive the lane. Other recruits are paying attention to what we are running based on what Pike & Co. may have told them, so perhaps Pike is staying true to a new philosophy so we get through this slump AND show recruits what we are going to be running in the future.

That’s the best sense I can make of our situation. If correct, I hope Pike doesn’t have to do what Schiano did back around 2008-9, which was abandon the new philosophy and go back to square 1. If we’re ever going to break into elite status, we may need to go through this brutal transition/setback in order to have a good defense AND a good/very good offense in the future. It’s not only players that get posterized, but coaches do too, and they have to have enough of a vision to fight through it. Let’s hope it works if that’s what’s going on. Schiano started the (IIRC) 2008 season 1-5, then figured it out and we went 7-0 the rest of the way, dominating teams. Stranger things have happened.

@zappaa, this is what I told you the other night that I was gonna write.

P.S. If you agree with this, please send donations to @RUScrew85 so he hires a hazmat team to remove the Brady Bunch amulet he's still holding onto.

Last edited:
I like the long write up but I really don't see anything different in our style of play other than we are not playing good defense and are not rebounding well which is a direct result of effort/hustle and I definitely see nothing different in the offense we are running other than we made a bunch of 3 pointers at the beginning of the season and now we are not making nearly as many

When a team suffers a collapse like ours has, it is commonly caused not by lack of effort, but by a change in coaching philosophy. Collapses like ours are macro problems, not micro issues such a player fouling too much or a two-game slump. Coaches don’t publicize their philosophical changes since it’s part of the game—keep other coaches guessing until they figure it out. After six games there was enough film and Izzo figured it out, and I’m not sure Pike knew or knows how to handle it with the current personnel we have. Not only were our players new to a national spotlight, Pikiell was too, and that’s part of breaking through into a culture of winning—everyone, from the coaches on down, is used to being on top and expects to win.

I’ll start with analogizing our current collapse to Schiano 1.0’s attempt to switch from pro set to spread sometime around 2008, and it turned into a disaster, so much so that two years later he abandoned it and went back to the pro set. He said we lacked the personnel for the change, and recruiting didn’t keep pace with the need for mobile linemen and a mobile QB. The players on the roster had been recruited for a particular skillset and type of offense, and when the change was made they weren’t suited for it. After 2006-7, we started losing more games than we’d become accustomed to even though we still had much of the same personnel, and the players took a lot more heat than was warranted. Some guys would miss blocks they shouldn’t have, wideouts dropped some balls, whatever—that’s on the players. But if players aren’t put in a position where what they are expected to do on a given play is going to work because the coaching philosophy isn’t yet right, the players will look worse than they might otherwise look when they themselves make a mistake. (@yesrutgers01, sound about right?)

Now to basketball. When Pike took the job we were a disaster. Like, complete fvcking train wreck, with no identity, no offense, no defense, no rebounding. Most coaches, and Pike was/is no exception, in doing a rebuild will start on the defensive side before working on the offensive sets and strategies. Pike said repeatedly that this is what he was doing. But what some of us have forgotten through those pressers was that the offenses have to grow into forming an identity of their own, and not just as a product of having the defense keeping things close enough so we have a shot at winning a game in the last two minutes. This was the year that we had the experienced personnel to begin running new sets and featuring different players who can shoot. It was no longer going to be the Geo-at-the-point show and putting the ball in his hands at the end of a game. We were going to play good defense, but the players now had more complex offensive sets and options to execute, and more players who will be involved. Jacob was going to run the point since he’s more of a 1 than a 2, and Geo is more natural 2 than a 1.

This year, Pike had personnel he could bring off the bench to give us fresh legs down the stretch, and the hope was that Palmquist would give us a pure shooter from downtown when he was in (which hasn’t materialized, as we know). Mag was gonna help rebound and play defense, and perhaps get a put-back or two. Enter: injuries. Geo goes out. Cliff goes out. Ronnie goes out. Mag goes out. The offensive flow we had was severely interrupted, and we didn’t have the personnel for the “next man up” mantra that’s bandied about so often. The roster is full of either new-style recruits who Pike recruited as scorers who can also play defense, or the older players who were recruited to play defense and hopefully develop into an offensive flow with the right coaching. Myles is a defensive player, not an offensive threat, for instance. Jaden Jones is an offensive threat when it’s his time to play, and that’s the next step in Rutgers’ identity as a program.

After there was enough film on what Pike was doing, which was spreading the floor and shooting from 3, Izzo realized that guarding the perimeter is the likely key to stopping, which had never been an opponent's coach's strategy for us since we were never an outside threat. Given that Myles isn’t an offensive threat, and Ronnie, who is a combo 3-4 and was staying outside to shoot, we didn’t have a threat inside. Cliff doesn’t have inside skills yet, so even when we’re healthy, if you shut down the perimeter you shut down the new philosophy Pike has implemented.

Other than coach-speak, this would explain why Pike keeps saying that we have to work through our current problems, because switching philosophies from intense defense and one or two players shooting, to higher offensive production through multiple scorers is a big change. And now that the coaches are at a point where they just can’t flip a switch and go back to last year's style of play, they are left to figure out how to adapt the new philosophy to the personnel at the same time the other coaches have figured us out. We had an element of surprise to start the year, but that honeymoon would’ve come to an end anyway because other coaches were going to figure us out after a few games, then adjust. It might also explain the confusion the players are manifesting on the court, because not knwoing what the philosophy is, or how to execute the in-game changes Pike is making (assuming he is), will look a lot like apathy or lethargy. Confusion causes hesitation, and a split-second hesitation at this level means you get torched.

This view comports with Jaden Jones’s skillset, which is high-level offense, and perhaps why he committed to us in the first place. Pike may have explained to him that we are making the switch to a higher-power offense, and we need a pure shooter who can also drive the lane. Other recruits are paying attention to what we are running based on what Pike & Co. may have told them, so perhaps Pike is staying true to a new philosophy so we get through this slump AND show recruits what we are going to be running in the future.

That’s the best sense I can make of our situation. If correct, I hope Pike doesn’t have to do what Schiano did back around 2008-9, which was abandon the new philosophy and go back to square 1. If we’re ever going to break into elite status, we may need to go through this brutal transition/setback in order to have a good defense AND a good/very good offense in the future. It’s not only players that get posterized, but coaches do too, and they have to have enough of a vision to fight through it. Let’s hope it works if that’s what’s going on. Schiano started the (IIRC) 2008 season 1-5, then figured it out and we went 7-0 the rest of the way, dominating teams. Stranger things have happened.

@zappaa, this is what I told you the other night that I was gonna write.

P.S. If you agree with this, please send donations to @RUScrew85 so he hires a hazmat team to remove the Brady Bunch amulet he's still holding onto.
Ra Ra, that is lucid, well thought out, intelligent conclusion.
I have to collate a while and figure out of it holds water

Mr. Gambini?
OGC.ea8561dedff42c6198ae3800a8b9c536

Ra Ra, that is lucid, well thought out, intelligent conclusion.
I have to collate a while and figure out of it holds water
@zappaa I think the word "collate" is about as perfect as can be in this context. ;-). And I of course await your opinion on the matter at hand.

A lot of effort and analysis put into this thread. I appreciate it .
But maybe it’s just as simple as the team rode the RAC last year but mostly stinks ?
I don't think it's that simple. I mean, of course it could be, but there is talent on our team and it's the coaches' challenge to make it work, both physically and psychologically. The FTs thing, for instance. But we only lost to then-#4 Iowa by 2 in our own building, lost to #9 Wisky by 6, so it's not like we're horrendous even in some of our losses. In our early victories we were pretty dominant against some talented teams, so I don't think it's merely about fan support.

I like the long write up but I really don't see anything different in our style of play other than we are not playing good defense and are not rebounding well which is a direct result of effort/hustle and I definitely see nothing different in the offense we are running other than we made a bunch of 3 pointers at the beginning of the season and now we are not making nearly as many
We are running different sets than last year, with more shooters on the perimeter. Jacob took over the point to break down the lane, then kick it outside to one of three options, all of whom had to be guarded, which wasn’t the case in the past. The difference now is that since other teams are playing tight perimeter defense, we have to go inside and we haven’t got anyone who can consistently score. Our rebounding is suffering because the perimeter defense is pushing us further out, and our shooting is suffering because of tighter defense. Without an interior big man who can score, and without guards who can drive past their defender and either score or get fouled, we have the change our offensive philosophy. That’s hard to do mid-season with injured players and without the personnel to draw contact. The reason we don’t get to the line is because we shy away from contact rather than play off of it.

It’s not an easy fix, and absent making more 3’s, I don’t know what the solution is given our lack of inside scorers.

Reactions: RUMike
The team is playing poorly on defense, can’t hit a free throw, and goes on big scoring droughts. It’s not a coaching philosophy issue. They’re playing poorly. Any team playing half decent basketball beats Wisconsin by 10+ last week. Izzo figuring us out is not the case. Not every team can just mimic what another team does. For whatever reason we played to are absolute best, which was playing like a top 10 team. Now we’re playing at our floor, which is playing like a last place team in the conference. This is not normal. This is a giant red flag. A team should not have a ceiling and floor over such an extended period like that. This is what happens when you play ”pop shot basketball” with an okay shooting team. The college game is not played in the post anymore. These teams would get knocked on their ass by the early 2000’s Big East teams. That Wisconsin team would get killed.

They lost their confidence... Ever since the refs fouled myles out this team hasn't been the same. It's like they got their balls chopped off

Reactions: ScarletDave
A lot of effort and analysis put into this thread. I appreciate it .
But maybe it’s just as simple as the team rode the RAC last year but mostly stinks ?
You are always negative and like to start arguments. I am starting to wonder if you are a very committed and high functioning troll. We were very good last year and were peaking at the end, beating an good Purdue team away, we would have won a game or two at least in the tourney.

You are always negative and like to start arguments. I am starting to wonder if you are a very committed and high functioning troll. We were very good last year and were peaking at the end, beating an good Purdue team away, we would have won a game or two at least in the tourney.
Not negative , just realistic. If there was a tournament last year we certainly had a chance to win a game or two. There is a season now and a game today. This team can still accomplish a lot

A team that "mostly stinks" does not have potential to get into the second weekend of the tournament last year.

There are a handful of posters who have post after post of negativity. Some feel it's ok to attack the young men who are struggling right now without offering any constructive feedback, just "this guys a bum, this guy needs to drop down a level". These posters either do not have any self-awareness or think it's OK to trash the players.

Some are very silent when things are going well. It is what is. Ignore is always an option.

A team that "mostly stinks" does not have potential to get into the second weekend of the tournament last year.

There are a handful of posters who have post after post of negativity. Some feel it's ok to attack the young men who are struggling right now without offering any constructive feedback, just "this guys a bum, this guy needs to drop down a level". These posters either do not have any self-awareness or think it's OK to trash the players.

Some are very silent when things are going well. It is what is. Ignore is always an option.
I haven’t seen much trashing on individual players . Most of it is aimed at the collective team and coaching staff . That is all fair game in big time college hoops . The individual trashing is not .

Reactions: biazza38
This is a very good post

part of this thought process needs a reminder that we went from a traditional set Back to a three guard set.

Now .it begs the question ...did we change what we were doing and then went to the best personell to fill what we were doing ?

or

Did we look at what we had And decide changing what we were doing was necessary to fit what we had for now ?

Chicken or the egg

after review of the data and being presented with a lot of gopd data from the others...I’m pretty convinced that we are not rebounding worse because of lack of effort...but because we are three guards and playing smaller.

And that somewhat is true on defense as well

and, conversely, our offense is better on the season because we went smaller....but not recently because teams caught up to what we were doing by having film on us

The question is...what is the counter adjustment to get back on track ?

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
@RutgersRaRa As usual, very thoughtful analysis!

The precipitous fall from #11 to the increasing likelihood that the team will once again be passive spectators on selection Sunday has certainly been a tough pill...obviously for the coaches and kids too. In truth, I haven't had the stomach to watch a single minute of Rutgers' basketball for weeks. DVR has become my best friend. Maybe I shouldn't comment then...but I will. 😛

Because of our history, or lack thereof, Rutgers' revenue sports have never had the luxury of (sustained) recruiting success in spite of results. This magnifies setbacks. The window of opportunity has always been small. Momentum, even if modestly incremental, must be maintained. Schiano 2.0 showed marked improvement this season and I'm hopeful that he'll build on those results next season. Pike MUST continue to do the same, if he is to succeed here. He obviously can't afford many hiccups.

A few comments on the OP...

"The roster is full of either new-style recruits who Pike recruited as scorers who can also play defense, or the older players who were recruited to play defense and hopefully develop into an offensive flow with the right coaching."

With the exception of early enrollee, Jaden Jones, I'm not seeing any clear scoring threats in the class of 2020...or 2021. While freakishly athletic, Omoruyi is still extremely raw. Otherwise, the class appears to be comprised of role players. Mag may surprise, but I don't see Palmquist or Reiber developing into B1G starters. Pike is known for player development though, so I hope that I'm wrong.

"If we’re ever going to break into elite status, we may need to go through this brutal transition / setback in order to have a good defense AND a good/very good offense in the future."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Pike built this team on a lunch pail mentality. They appear to have lost their identity. To your point though, if we don't have the right personnel or the players aren't ready to execute a new offense - which as a laymen, I'm not seeing. We still thrive in a transition offense - why change the coaching philosophy and team identity?

Bottom-line, Pike doesn't have the reputation / gravitas (yet?) to consistently recruit at the level necessary to become a perennial top-half B1G program. And even then, the coaching philosophy and team identity IMHO should always be Jersey Strong! Defense wins games. Offense determines by how much.

Really good and thoughtful post, @RutgersRaRa.

I read it this morning and figured I'd watch the game before replying; get a bit more perspective.

First, your hypothesis about what's causing the offensive woes, and how it might also play into our rebounding struggles for much of the 5 games prior to today against Indiana, is the best and least overly-simplistic I've heard. It's impossible to prove without being present in the coach's meetings. But it is plausible and matches up well with the facts and stats, IMO.

I'm going to argue one small point though. You said this:

"Given that Myles isn’t an offensive threat, and Ronnie, who is a combo 3-4 and was staying outside to shoot, we didn’t have a threat inside. Cliff doesn’t have inside skills yet, so even when we’re healthy, if you shut down the perimeter you shut down the new philosophy Pike has implemented."

While I agree Myles and Cliff aren't big-time scoring threats, I disagree that they can't be offensive threats. I believe both can be more productive on offense. Just not all on their own and not always by scoring.

In fact, I think one of the keys to RU having ongoing success this season is to get the bigs more touches. Not tons more. Just enough to force other teams to back off on their super-aggressive perimeter D that everyone (but Indiana) has been doing, to varying degrees, since Izzo showed how well it could work. They don't necessarily have to score; but they do have to see the ball more often while near the key.

The way to beat an aggressive perimeter D is to switch from side-to-side ball movement and go north-south into the key and back out. That forces the defenders on the perimeter to have to collapse and expand repeatedly, and to lose focus of the player they're defending up high. It's way easier to defend the perimeter when the ball stays on the perimeter; only having to rotate their heads 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

Indiana, for some reason, wasn't able to to successfully execute that high perimeter D today. Don't know why; maybe a personnel thing. So we had more time to shoot 3s, and execute the sort of O Pike's apparently been wanting to execute.

The thing that worries me after today's awesome win is that we still haven't demonstrated good enough north-south ball movement. There were a lot of opportunities to do so, but we usually didn't see them or looked them off or tried but executed it poorly. We won because Geo shot way better, and because we had fantastic rebounding and improved defensive focus. And because Mulcahy was incredibly disruptive on D, playing well off his man often but employing great anticipation to get back out to him. All really great stuff.

But other teams are going to play us much more aggressively at the perimeter and beyond, forcing us to beat that style of D. And we have yet to show that we've able or willing to engage in the north-south ball movement that enables us to win those games.

One hopeful sign, along these lines, from today's game is that Harper did slide inside to post up got fed the ball a couple times. So hopefully that will continue because he's a threat to score inside and also sees the court well so can find open players when the D collapses on him.

But I think that both our bigs have to get fed the ball for some inside-out passing. Also this team has got to learn how to reliably execute pick and rolls (which we totally suck at). Nothing screams easy basket more than a well-executed pick and roll play, and other teams are giving us multiple opportunities to score on them in every game. Even just scoring off a few early on and the other team's D will start to lose focus on the perimeter player and back off a bit on D. Get the big guys a couple dunks early and they'll be fired up.

Really good and thoughtful post, @RutgersRaRa.

I read it this morning and figured I'd watch the game before replying; get a bit more perspective.

First, your hypothesis about what's causing the offensive woes, and how it might also play into our rebounding struggles for much of the 5 games prior to today against Indiana, is the best and least overly-simplistic I've heard. It's impossible to prove without being present in the coach's meetings. But it is plausible and matches up well with the facts and stats, IMO.

I'm going to argue one small point though. You said this:

"Given that Myles isn’t an offensive threat, and Ronnie, who is a combo 3-4 and was staying outside to shoot, we didn’t have a threat inside. Cliff doesn’t have inside skills yet, so even when we’re healthy, if you shut down the perimeter you shut down the new philosophy Pike has implemented."

While I agree Myles and Cliff aren't big-time scoring threats, I disagree that they can't be offensive threats. I believe both can be more productive on offense. Just not all on their own and not always by scoring.

In fact, I think one of the keys to RU having ongoing success this season is to get the bigs more touches. Not tons more. Just enough to force other teams to back off on their super-aggressive perimeter D that everyone (but Indiana) has been doing, to varying degrees, since Izzo showed how well it could work. They don't necessarily have to score; but they do have to see the ball more often while near the key.

The way to beat an aggressive perimeter D is to switch from side-to-side ball movement and go north-south into the key and back out. That forces the defenders on the perimeter to have to collapse and expand repeatedly, and to lose focus of the player they're defending up high. It's way easier to defend the perimeter when the ball stays on the perimeter; only having to rotate their heads 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees.

Indiana, for some reason, wasn't able to to successfully execute that high perimeter D today. Don't know why; maybe a personnel thing. So we had more time to shoot 3s, and execute the sort of O Pike's apparently been wanting to execute.

The thing that worries me after today's awesome win is that we still haven't demonstrated good enough north-south ball movement. There were a lot of opportunities to do so, but we usually didn't see them or looked them off or tried but executed it poorly. We won because Geo shot way better, and because we had fantastic rebounding and improved defensive focus. And because Mulcahy was incredibly disruptive on D, playing well off his man often but employing great anticipation to get back out to him. All really great stuff.

But other teams are going to play us much more aggressively at the perimeter and beyond, forcing us to beat that style of D. And we have yet to show that we've able or willing to engage in the north-south ball movement that enables us to win those games.

One hopeful sign, along these lines, from today's game is that Harper did slide inside to post up got fed the ball a couple times. So hopefully that will continue because he's a threat to score inside and also sees the court well so can find open players when the D collapses on him.

But I think that both our bigs have to get fed the ball for some inside-out passing. Also this team has got to learn how to reliably execute pick and rolls (which we totally suck at). Nothing screams easy basket more than a well-executed pick and roll play, and other teams are giving us multiple opportunities to score on them in every game. Even just scoring off a few early on and the other team's D will start to lose focus on the perimeter player and back off a bit on D. Get the big guys a couple dunks early and they'll be fired up.
I like your analysis of the north-south dynamic, and I'll look out for that in upcoming games.

Totally agree on the bigs needing to play a bigger role on offense. Myles has the body for it, and last year started the year with a baby jump hook that was unblockable, then stopped going to it. He's not a face-up shooter, so getting into the lane and then dishing it to him, or passing it to him from a wing and then crashing the boards, is one way we can manage points from the bigs. If our guards can create enough separation while driving it will give them passing lanes to get the ball to Myles or Cliff near the rim. Jacob can get inside due to his speed, but he is turnover prone and rarely do we get a pick-and-roll from his drives. Geo is slower than Jacob, but taller, so his skillset is different. I don't think Geo causes as much pressure on opposing defenses, but he also doesn't turn the ball over as much when he's running the point like he did today.

The three biggest things that stood out to me today were: 1) Geo running the point to start the game, and Jacob on the bench; 2) Ronnie going down low to help on the boards (he had 12 today and we finally outrebounded our opponent); and 3) Geo taking over more of the shooting duties since teams have been focused on Ronnie.

Contributing to today's success was our intensity, which may have been aided by Geo and Ronnie not only being productive, but by them looking like they've healed from their injuries (Ronnie may need another week to be back in form). Also, in Jacob's defense, I think he has been pressing due to our recent ineptitude, and that has taken him out of his game. Pike may have had him sit so he could watch and get back to playing within the now-adjusted offense. also, Caleb's ability to shoot shouldn't be overlooked, as he may be our best pure shooter.

Reactions: mildone
They lost their confidence... Ever since the refs fouled myles out this team hasn't been the same. It's like they got their balls chopped off
I think they did let that get into their heads. I saw a fair amount of bad body language after that and during the streak.

I think they also let the hot start get into their heads as well.

So take the latter and add the former, and they were just not playing with the right mindset.

I like your analysis of the north-south dynamic, and I'll look out for that in upcoming games.

Totally agree on the bigs needing to play a bigger role on offense. Myles has the body for it, and last year started the year with a baby jump hook that was unblockable, then stopped going to it. He's not a face-up shooter, so getting into the lane and then dishing it to him, or passing it to him from a wing and then crashing the boards, is one way we can manage points from the bigs. If our guards can create enough separation while driving it will give them passing lanes to get the ball to Myles or Cliff near the rim. Jacob can get inside due to his speed, but he is turnover prone and rarely do we get a pick-and-roll from his drives. Geo is slower than Jacob, but taller, so his skillset is different. I don't think Geo causes as much pressure on opposing defenses, but he also doesn't turn the ball over as much when he's running the point like he did today.

The three biggest things that stood out to me today were: 1) Geo running the point to start the game, and Jacob on the bench; 2) Ronnie going down low to help on the boards (he had 12 today and we finally outrebounded our opponent); and 3) Geo taking over more of the shooting duties since teams have been focused on Ronnie.

Contributing to today's success was our intensity, which may have been aided by Geo and Ronnie not only being productive, but by them looking like they've healed from their injuries (Ronnie may need another week to be back in form). Also, in Jacob's defense, I think he has been pressing due to our recent ineptitude, and that has taken him out of his game. Pike may have had him sit so he could watch and get back to playing within the now-adjusted offense. also, Caleb's ability to shoot shouldn't be overlooked, as he may be our best pure shooter.
Yup. Agree with all that.

With the pick and roll, we did a couple/few over the past 3 games and got three easy shots right at the basket, of which we made two and had one stopped w/a foul. Which was nice, but we've had many more opportunities for it and need to do it more - it will force Izzo and other coaches to pull their guys back some, and then we're able to execute the way we did early season, making outside shots with less pressure.

Several things are going wrong for us with pick/roll plays:
  1. Our guards often refuse the pick and/or fake using it but double-back away from it, which kills the pick and roll.
  2. Our guards sometimes take the pick, get separation, but the picker doesn't roll right away and seal the picked defender.
  3. Our guards sometimes take the pick, get separation, the picker rolls and seals the defender, but the guard doesn't make the entry pass.
  4. The 3 players away from the ball aren't paying attention and wind up clogging the lane into which the rolling player needs to be.
The picker's job is so trivially simple there's never an excuse for not doing it. If the lane is clogged, it gets blown up. But you can still seal the guy who was guarding our guard and move generally towards the hoop with the guy on your back. Might not be a target if the lane is clogged, but you force the D to adjust quickly, which shakes other players loose.

The guards job of threading the ball through through the new person guarding them over top of the pick is harder - a bit of an art-form in my experience. I was never good at that side of the play.

But I've played with lots of guys who were great at it, threading the ball through using easy to handle bounce passes every time. And anybody can score when the play is executed correctly. I'm no kind of good basketball player and I scored tons of easy layups when on teams w/a guy who can make the entry pass and with players who know when to clear the lane. If I could do it, I'm pretty sure Myles and Cliff and others can do it (doesn't have to be a big, even guards can set picks and roll).

It's obviously harder to do this when the off-defenders are trained to recognize the cues for the pick and roll and they retreat to clog up the lane (Mulcahy is brilliant at that, among other off-ball awareness stuff on D, which is a big reason he's getting so much playing time). And at the D1 level and pros, all the players know how to recognize and defend it.

But when the D adjusts to kill the play, it just means that another player on the weak side is now open, so the guard can look off the rolling player and switch the ball to the now-open weak-side player. And when that happens, you've forced the D to rotate to cover the open player (or we get an open shot). And best of all, the rolling player who didn't get the ball, due to the lane being clogged, now has a guard (usually) sealed behind him and is already moving to the hoop in perfect position to rebound.

If we figure out how to do this simple thing more often, I predict that we start beating some teams that beat us. Maybe not all, there are some very good teams in the Big Ten this season, I think. But it'll hopefully end the long scoring droughts we've seen in the prior 4-5 games.

Yup. Agree with all that.

With the pick and roll, we did a couple/few over the past 3 games and got three easy shots right at the basket, of which we made two and had one stopped w/a foul. Which was nice, but we've had many more opportunities for it and need to do it more - it will force Izzo and other coaches to pull their guys back some, and then we're able to execute the way we did early season, making outside shots with less pressure.

Several things are going wrong for us with pick/roll plays:
  1. Our guards often refuse the pick and/or fake using it but double-back away from it, which kills the pick and roll.
  2. Our guards sometimes take the pick, get separation, but the picker doesn't roll right away and seal the picked defender.
  3. Our guards sometimes take the pick, get separation, the picker rolls and seals the defender, but the guard doesn't make the entry pass.
  4. The 3 players away from the ball aren't paying attention and wind up clogging the lane into which the rolling player needs to be.
The picker's job is so trivially simple there's never an excuse for not doing it. If the lane is clogged, it gets blown up. But you can still seal the guy who was guarding our guard and move generally towards the hoop with the guy on your back. Might not be a target if the lane is clogged, but you force the D to adjust quickly, which shakes other players loose.

The guards job of threading the ball through through the new person guarding them over top of the pick is harder - a bit of an art-form in my experience. I was never good at that side of the play.

But I've played with lots of guys who were great at it, threading the ball through using easy to handle bounce passes every time. And anybody can score when the play is executed correctly. I'm no kind of good basketball player and I scored tons of easy layups when on teams w/a guy who can make the entry pass and with players who know when to clear the lane. If I could do it, I'm pretty sure Myles and Cliff and others can do it (doesn't have to be a big, even guards can set picks and roll).

It's obviously harder to do this when the off-defenders are trained to recognize the cues for the pick and roll and they retreat to clog up the lane (Mulcahy is brilliant at that, among other off-ball awareness stuff on D, which is a big reason he's getting so much playing time). And at the D1 level and pros, all the players know how to recognize and defend it.

But when the D adjusts to kill the play, it just means that another player on the weak side is now open, so the guard can look off the rolling player and switch the ball to the now-open weak-side player. And when that happens, you've forced the D to rotate to cover the open player (or we get an open shot). And best of all, the rolling player who didn't get the ball, due to the lane being clogged, now has a guard (usually) sealed behind him and is already moving to the hoop in perfect position to rebound.

If we figure out how to do this simple thing more often, I predict that we start beating some teams that beat us. Maybe not all, there are some very good teams in the Big Ten this season, I think. But it'll hopefully end the long scoring droughts we've seen in the prior 4-5 games.
There are so many variations on a pick and roll, a la Malone and Stockton, that when done well it's practically unstoppable. One thing that makes can offense more potent is when there's a threat inside that has to be defended while at the same time there's a shooter or two on the wing who prevent the helpside defense from collapsing. This Thursday is gonna be a tough matchup because of who their coach is, but at some point we're gonna break though and get one.

Reactions: mildone
I think one of the main takeaways from some of you is inside scoring. I think a key today was Johnson getting a couple of early baskets. Defense then had to account for him, leaving some additional space on the perimeter. Cliff is clearly a work in progress on the offensive end, so can't really run the inside out game through him. But yes, Johnson needs to get the ball down low more often. He's got some decent moves.

Reactions: YoucancallmeRay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT