ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts at the moment.

higgins3

All American
Dec 15, 2012
With the recent verbal of Baker, I think this is a very exciting time to be a fan. I am not talking about being excited because we will win a bunch of games, or that the team will be great, but more so of the fact that we are heading in the direction the team and us as fans want to go-upward.

Baker is a great addition, and brings in an impressive skill set. He is a player that will make a difference, and add a lot.

Onto the current state of the team. By following social media accounts, etc, I think we are primed to see a lot of three guard lineups this year. This is something we have all been saying, but if you follow twitter/socialmedia, you see a very confident Nigel Johnson and Corey Sanders. They both believe they can be the best backcourt in the big team. That leaves Mike Williams and Johnson battling out that 2 guard spot, or we just see a lot of three guard lineups that include Sanders, Johnson, and Williams.Even Thiam thrown in there. Something like a Sanders, Johnson,Williams/Thiam/Laurent, Sa/Laurent, Freeman/Doorson.

At the moment, I like to see the confidence of Sanders and Johnson, and where they think they can bring their potential. I am going to have to make sure with going back to school, I can finance a couple seats where I can see this team up front. I think we are in for some surprises if Sanders and Johnson can match what they believe they can do. Best to those kids!

RRRR thoughts?

Last edited:
I think RU fans are so used to the negative, they don't see all the positive within the athletic department at the moment. When shovels go in the ground for the bball/multi-sport facility, perhaps people will start to believe. On bball in general, our staff is AWESOME. Just sit back and watch - it is going to be fun.

Reactions: Scangg
With the recent signing of Baker, I think this is a very exciting time to be a fan. I am not talking about being excited because we will win a bunch of games, or that the team will be great, but more so of the fact that we are heading in the direction the team and us as fans want to go-upward.

Baker is a great addition, and brings in an impressive skill set. He is a player that will make a difference, and add a lot.

Onto the current state of the team. By following social media accounts, etc, I think we are primed to see a lot of three guard lineups this year. This is something we have all been saying, but if you follow twitter/socialmedia, you see a very confident Nigel Johnson and Corey Sanders. They both believe they can be the best backcourt in the big team. That leaves Mike Williams and Johnson battling out that 2 guard spot, or we just see a lot of three guard lineups that include Sanders, Johnson, and Williams.Even Thiam thrown in there. Something like a Sanders, Johnson,Williams/Thiam/Laurent, Sa/Laurent, Freeman/Doorson.

At the moment, I like to see the confidence of Sanders and Johnson, and where they think they can bring their potential. I am going to have to make sure with going back to school, I can finance a couple seats where I can see this team up front. I think we are in for some surprises if Sanders and Johnson can match what they believe they can do. Best to those kids!

RRRR thoughts?

Just to be clear, Geo baker did not sign, he verballed.

I think RU fans are so used to the negative, they don't see all the positive within the athletic department at the moment. When shovels go in the ground for the bball/multi-sport facility, perhaps people will start to believe. On bball in general, our staff is AWESOME. Just sit back and watch - it is going to be fun.

I like the approach. They have a reason to have their heads down, but still-good things are happening.

I am with you. I think we are in for something that we have not had in a long time. I am not saying NIT championships, not saying second round of NCAA,but I am saying competitive basketball 80% of games. That would be a treat.

The way I'm looking at it, not sure how many three guard lineups we can afford given that we only have 3 true guards. Sanders and Johnson should start with Williams spelling Johnson and then perhaps Johnson spelling Sanders. Bullock could be a fourth piece in the mix possibly in certain match-ups but he is obviously not a classic shooting guard.

So can't really play three guards, have to play more conventional line-up until you fill out the roster.

Reactions: Scangg and higgins3
The way I'm looking at it, not sure how many three guard lineups we can afford given that we only have 3 true guards. Sanders and Johnson should start with Williams spelling Johnson and then perhaps Johnson spelling Sanders. Bullock could be a fourth piece in the mix possibly in certain match-ups but he is obviously not a classic shooting guard.

So can't really play three guards, have to play more conventional line-up until you fill out the roster.

If you played Sanders, Johnson, Williams, you could have the backup of Batie, Thiam, Bullock.

I think to be competitive, the team needs to make a strong effort to get the ball out of the back early and often. Establish that early, and then lessen it with 8 minutes to go in the second half. Bullock is more of a small forward right now. I am not sure what they look to do with him. I would say keep him at the weight he is atm.

Have that three guard lineup, and then be willing to go towards more traditional lineups when you have subs. That three guard gives us a fighting chance though. I think Pikiell plans on using it, using transition.

I swear if there aren't shovels in the ground by Christmas, I will go over there myself and start digging.
I hear you. I trust Hobbs. Therefore, I do not worry about having to get out a shovel, or buy a pair of work gloves.

If you played Sanders, Johnson, Williams, you could have the backup of Batie, Thiam, Bullock.

I think to be competitive, the team needs to make a strong effort to get the ball out of the back early and often. Establish that early, and then lessen it with 8 minutes to go in the second half. Bullock is more of a small forward right now. I am not sure what they look to do with him. I would say keep him at the weight he is atm.

Have that three guard lineup, and then be willing to go towards more traditional lineups when you have subs. That three guard gives us a fighting chance though. I think Pikiell plans on using it, using transition.

In more basketball terms, use transition in first half and park of second, run, and then more classic halfcourt in the second half. I want to see what Thiam has.

I just sense a strong confidence from Johnson that him and Sanders can be a great duo. That has me wondering, where does Williams go. I think that is why the three guard lineup, transition play works.

I can see the three guard rotation like mentioned above with Sanders and Johnson playing, Williams coming in and the three rotating, but down the stretch, end game situations, I can see the three on the court together. They are the most experienced players we have.

I think Baker, Thiam and Sa are three starting caliber players for a rebuilding program like RU....the wildcard is Bullock, who is just an all-around player and can help as well. It doesn't mean they start on other B1G teams, but I feel comfortable saying that all 3 would secure minutes on most programs in Year 2 (specifically for Thiam and Baker).

The ultimate question is whether the staff can capture about 12-15 minutes a game at guard from another player not named Sanders, Johnson and Williams. If you had Goode left on the roster, I'm not sure he would have been a better option on defense or offense than playing a Laurent out of position or Bullock.

Laurent holds the key to having any success on both ends of the court. He's not a guard, but has the ability to defend a shooting guard. He's not a PG, but doesn't need to be, if you have Nigel at PG periodically, he can function as a 3rd guard with Williams.

I would like to see another player (not as a JUCO, but if it came down to it, I guess it would be) at the wing position. But I see Laurent and Thiam being forced into more minutes than perhaps we should have to feed them, because we are not quite where we need to be as far as roster depth.

Confidence is an item that we should start to develop as a fan base. There are going to be people down on the team this year, because there will be a couple of 20 point defeats coming our way, but I don't see them in 2017-18, if we maximize the recruiting in the next 3-6 months and get a couple of pieces to go with Baker. I have zero doubt on the coaching ability of the staff, so it's really up to the staff to get solid/safe recruits with additional good guard like Baker.

I think this staff will play those that defend hard and consistently. I don't think - particularly in Year 1 - the staff cares about conventional labels of G or F. If, for example, Bullock and Laurent commit to the defensive end, they can both easily see time in the back court, though neither is a 2 offensively at this point.

And for Rutgers work gloves, go to amazon.com or to stock up for your friends,go to dollar days.com for a case of 24.

I've been saying this for a while, this 2016 team is much much better than people think. They are confident that they are the best backcourt in the B1G because they can back it up. To me the best is stretching it a little, but I certainly think they are top 5. If only we can get one more body..... :)

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I'll reserve any judgement until I see us on the court.

I'll be watching defense and how staff gets Sanders to play.

I think we might see some more bigger lineups than people might think. Thiam Eugene and Laurent at the 3 instead of 3 guards. Pikiell will want the size and length for defense and rebounding

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
We have three guards for 80 mpg...if all three average 30 mpg that means the most we play 3 guards is 10 mpg

I would like see even less than that if possible...it's a long season and more than 28-30 mpg you get dininshed returns

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT