ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson Gone?

I went with my daughter to visit UCLA in the spring of 2018. The campus and area are unbelievably nice. If I remember correctly the law school was ranked around 15. I'm sure the graduate program for engineering is highly ranked too. Throw in Myles is from the LA area and the BB program did well in the NCAA tournament this may be his landing spot.

Any Jonah Jackson parallels? At least he isn’t leaving for an in-conference rival.

The UCLA program is outstanding. It remains to be seen if this is where Myles ends up. I think he's also waiting on Stanford and possibly Berkeley. But if he decides to go to UCLA, it's a top flight program.

I think the writing was on the wall when he participated in the senior night ceremony. He was a red shirt junior even without the free year

Reactions: Night Man
i guess I’m the only one who doesn’t see Myles as a good fit there. Best of luck to him regardless.

I see him as a perfect fit there. Four out, one in and all he has to to is dunk and play defense.

I always thought Rutgers had a strong Engineering program. Where exactly does it stand?

Never thought I’d hear “Bill Walton” and “Myles Johnson” in the same sentence. I don’t see him starting there, but if that’s a priority he’d stay here.

I always thought Rutgers had a strong Engineering program. Where exactly does it stand?
Rutgers does. All a smokescreen. He wanted out and ultimately left gracefully. Stanford was a easy excuse. I’ll take it back if he winds up there but I can’t see it.

As far as computer engineering graduate programs go - Rutgers Engineering is good - but not elite. Generally ranked in the 30-50 range nationally. UCLA is a stronger program, sometimes ranked in the top 15. In any case, I recommend that folks attend a different graduate school for engineering (than where they accomplished their undergraduate). It's good to be exposed to different thinking and it helps build ones network.

If not for academics, why did he leave?
Could be a simple as he wants to be closer to home, or he wanted to get a degree from a school closer to Silicon Valley, or he wanted a graduate degree from a school other than where he got his bachelors’s, perhaps he felt he wasn’t developing like he wanted to, or perhaps he wanted to be part of a National Championship contender (UCLA would certainly be that). I’m not biting on any potential chemistry issue because that would be speculative but it Could be any number of things.

Regardless, he did it with class, unlike another recent player who wound up in the PAC 12.

Could be a simple as he wants to be closer to home, or he wanted to get a degree from a school closer to Silicon Valley, or he wanted a graduate degree from a school other than where he got his bachelors’s, perhaps he felt he wasn’t developing like he wanted to, or perhaps he wanted to be part of a National Championship contender (UCLA would certainly be that). I’m not biting on any potential chemistry issue because that would be speculative but it Could be any number of things.

Regardless, he did it with class, unlike another recent player who wound up in the PAC 12.

All of your possible reasons make perfect sense to me. I too agree he is not leaving because there is dissent in the locker room. I also think he would acknowledge Rutgers developed him into a superior big man defender. Perhaps offense skills just are not there.

He will go to UCLA, never get called for more than 4 fouls in a game and people will still stay that calls "even out"...

Reactions: Rufaninga
As far as computer engineering graduate programs go - Rutgers Engineering is good - but not elite. Generally ranked in the 30-50 range nationally. UCLA is a stronger program, sometimes ranked in the top 15. In any case, I recommend that folks attend a different graduate school for engineering (than where they accomplished their undergraduate). It's good to be exposed to different thinking and it helps build ones network.

Surprised UCLA is so highly ranked.

I’m glad you said that about attending a different grad school. That’s what I always thought but it seemed some people on this board thought that was no longer the case. I was even told that about an mba, which is one of the reasons I didn’t do mine at Rutgers.

Here is a question that came to me, but with no answer being had

Johnson redshirted his first year here....... had we had him play, warts and all , would he
Have been a better player yet this past year?
There are pluses to having him redshirt and figure out college ball slowly and getting stronger
But, in the end, would the extra year of big 10 play made a difference in either direction

Reactions: soundcrib

He clearly wants to go home to finish up his academics and eventually live and work in CA/Silicon Valley. While there's still a chance he lands at Stanford, he developed into such a strong player UCLA makes sense. Not sure if he would stay at any grad school east of the Sierra Mountains at this point. I still beleive his best chance at developing his offensive game would be at RU, UCLA is loaded with scorers and he will be a 2nd or 3rd option on the blocks alone there.

Here is a question that came to me, but with no answer being had

Johnson redshirted his first year here....... had we had him play, warts and all , would he
Have been a better player yet this past year?
There are pluses to having him redshirt and figure out college ball slowly and getting stronger
But, in the end, would the extra year of big 10 play made a difference in either direction
If he agreed to a non-medical redshirt then he probably agreed with the coaches that he wasn't ready to play, wouldn't see much playing time and would be wasting a season of eligibility.

ADVERTISEMENT