ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson Gone?

Watch his knees while free throw shooting next year. I bet he’ll be bending them and shooting more with his legs....and FT percentage goes up.
For a fellow who is touted as a solid engineering student, it always puzzled me that Myles never understood what he needs to do to give his free throws the best chance at making it through the hoop (the physics of an optimal free throw). Maybe a UCLA education will clear up the issue.

If he agreed to a non-medical redshirt then he probably agreed with the coaches that he wasn't ready to play, wouldn't see much playing time and would be wasting a season of eligibility.
And you can be right

I loved having him on the team

My one “complaint” was that he came up short at the end of a few, late season,very important games. Some of it might have been his skill level, others where he did not want to be the deciding factor, at least it looked that way

the random thought was another season bouncing off the bigs in the big ten May have toughened him up a bit more

maybe not.

IMO if he goes to UCLA this wasnt about Academics. If he goes to Stanford or Berkeley I get it.
UCLA has a excellent engineering program that is maybe a notch below Stanford or Berkeley. Beside, there's nothing wrong with Myles wanting to be close to home. I think your implication that this is about basketball is wrong.

And you can be right

I loved having him on the team

My one “complaint” was that he came up short at the end of a few, late season,very important games. Some of it might have been his skill level, others where he did not want to be the deciding factor, at least it looked that way

the random thought was another season bouncing off the bigs in the big ten May have toughened him up a bit more

maybe not.
I don't know the kid, but the reality is that some players "don't want it" when the game is on the line. Some guys aren't built that way but that doesn't make them bad players.

Myles Johnson seems like a good dude. I wish him luck wherever life takes him.

For a fellow who is touted as a solid engineering student, it always puzzled me that Myles never understood what he needs to do to give his free throws the best chance at making it through the hoop (the physics of an optimal free throw). Maybe a UCLA education will clear up the issue.
I think the FTs were mostly mental with him. I believe he became less aggressive in crunch time for fear of going to the line. Not saying
Mechanics didn’t play a part but physics are not going to help a psychological issue. I also believe that if he was 70% FT shooter, we would have seen a much more dominant player. Johnson is obviously very intelligent and could simply have been overthinking everything. I could see him putting pressure on himself and making it worse.

I watched Myles many times in practice make 9 of 10 free throws. He was almost automatic in practice but game time is very different for many players.
Exactly. This team needed a psychologist for various reasons.

UCLA has a excellent engineering program that is maybe a notch below Stanford or Berkeley. Beside, there's nothing wrong with Myles wanting to be close to home. I think your implication that this is about basketball is wrong.
Definitely right. Miles has always had academics as #1 priority

Campus of UCLA is in a posh area...Westwood...It's beautiful.

Was there several years ago...snuck into Pauley Pavillon.....lol....much smaller arena than I thought
Correct on both counts. I have seen a picture of the UCLA area from 1900 -- nothing but sand. Shows what bringing water into L.A. did for the city (remember the movie Chinatown?) USC is in a very iffy neighborhood.

Pauley Pavillion has about 13,000 seats -- not bad! It opened in 1965, and expanded by 1000 seats about ten years ago. I guess it's small by the standards of today's venues. It is named for Edwin Pauley, who was an oil millionaire and member of the University of California Board of Regents.

Last edited:
Campus of UCLA is in a posh area...Westwood...It's beautiful.

Was there several years ago...snuck into Pauley Pavillon.....lol....much smaller arena than I thought
Borders Wilshire Blvd on one side (just down from Rodeo Drive) and Beverly Hills basically on the the back side. Lots of open space. Most, if not all athletic facilities, are in the same location by Pauley. Suburban feel. Road bordering campus on the "Rodeo" side has numerous homes that are actually part of the campus and their is a great small hotel close to the entrance of the campus that has no signage and kinda looks like a dorm. Lots of Hollywood stars stay there to avoid the press and go unnoticed. Met Dustin Hoffman there in '83 in the lounge area. He was waiting for Lisa Minelli to go out for dinner.

Berkeley is in the East Bay Area and has a large campus but more of an urban feel to it. Not as much open space as UCLA, and campus not nearly as large area wise. Both schools have great academic facilities.

Last edited:
Borders Wilshire Blvd on one side (just down from Rodeo Drive) and Beverly Hills basically on the the back side. Lots of open space. Most, if not all athletic facilities, are in the same location by Pauley. Suburban feel. Road bordering campus on the "Rodeo" side has numerous homes that are actually part of the campus and their is a great small hotel close to the entrance of the campus that has no signage and kinda looks like a dorm. Lots of Hollywood stars stay there to avoid the press and go unnoticed. Met Dustin Hoffman there in '83 in the lounge area. He was waiting for Lisa Minelli to go out for dinner.

Berkeley is in the East Bay Area and has a large campus but more of an urban feel to it. Not as much open space as UCLA, and campus not nearly as large area wise. Both schools have great academic facilities.

All three have top notch engineering schools in multiple disciplines where you really can't go wrong in pursuing a graduate degree. Myles has some quality options available to him back home in CA and the Pac12.

Agree with this for the most part, the UC-Berkeley campus core is more compact than UCLA as it's juxtaposed to downtown Berkeley to the immediate west as well as a typical city grid/blocks on the north and south sides. The east side ascends into the Berkeley hills which is quite picturesque and offers some amazing views. Strawberry Creek running through the middle of campus is a nice natural feature. But the internal campus road network is actually not very rectilinear so I never got that much of an urban feel within the campus itself.

UCLA is more open through the campus core, it's nicely laid out with strong architectural appeal. It's surrounded by more of a curvilinear road network, lending to a more suburban feel at/beyond its borders, with Westwood Village to the south and a grid/block network not emerging along Westwood Blvd until you get south of Wilshire.

Both have quality campuses with different appeals that are worthy of representing flagship institutions.

Stanford is a very nice campus too and even more expansive than the two UC campuses. It has a few warts including areas of concrete jungle where high foot traffic makes the hardscape appropriate, albeit not very appealing. Of course, they have more money than some small countries...must be nice.

Lastly, all three have top notch engineering schools within multiple disciplines to pursue a graduate degree. Myles has some potentially great options available back home in CA. If he passes on those and returns to RU for grad school, we'll be very fortunate to have him back for hoops.

Last edited:

Actually, the Berkeley campus is *much* larger than UCLA's. That's because the Berkeley campus includes the Strawberry Canyon recreational areas, a football stadium (UCLA has none, but must play in the Rose Bowl far away), , and then tons of forested space to the east and north with some excellent running/hiking trails.

I was a student at Berkeley for seven years, and a visiting faculty member at UCLA. for a year. The campuses struck me as similar in feel. There is nothing urban about the Berkeley campus. The archietecture is similar because both are University of California campuses. The Berkeley shopping area has deteriorated (let's be blunt) over the last fifty years while Westwood (last I saw) remains very nice. People at Berkeley call UCLA "the University of California for Lesser Achievers" but this is totally unfair; student credentials are about the same, and UCLA (being in more populous Southern California) gets many more applicants. Berkeley people resent UCLA because the latter's fight song, name and mascot are all based on, or straight steals, from Berkeley. (e.g. Bruins vs. Golden Bears.)

Finally, the north side of the Berkeley campus, beyond a small student section, borders the houses in the Berkeley hills. Few of them are mansions, but all cost a pretty penny -- more than faculty can afford any more.

Reactions: RUhobbit and RUnTeX
I’m glad you said that about attending a different grad school. That’s what I always thought but it seemed some people on this board thought that was no longer the case. I was even told that about an mba, which is one of the reasons I didn’t do mine at Rutgers.
My son taught at UCLA and thought it was more competitive than U of I in Urbana

My son taught at UCLA and thought it was more competitive than U of I in Urbana
And UIUC is no slouch, of course. As it pertains to this thread and Myles, it has an incredibly strong EE/CompE program, like Top 5 or so. Thankfully we aren't losing Myles within the conference to the Illini.

Reactions: RUhobbit
He will be very good next year. He should go to a program that can win it all next year. UCLA is getting a top center.

To the guy who didn't understand how a bright kid can't figure out proper mechanics...really ? Are you a smart guy ? And do you have any eligibility left ? One thing has nothing to with the other.

It is, if you go by US News and World UCLA is the #1 public university in the country.
No dog in this fight but regarding engineering grad schools UCLA is not the number 1 public university. It cannot hold a candle to Cal, Michigan or Illinois. He wants to go to grad school in CA and academics are the priority it’s Stanford, close second Cal and distant 3rd UCLA. UCLA not a slouch school but distant third

Last edited:
Reactions: rucoe89
So I wonder this. Now don't take this the wrong way I fully believe Myles is more than deserving on his academic merit to get into to Stanford.

But I wonder if he got in because of athletic implications as well. And in turn the people that said he needs to go to Stanford because of the doors it would open when I've said here before he athletic achievements would open those doors for him already

Myles has some great options. For selfish reasons hope he ends up at Cal. Will be easier to root for him there vs. the other two! :-)

He should stay and play at RU next year, take a couple MBA gut courses, and start p/t Stanford Grad EE on-line. What's the problem? 🙂

Good for him. That’s got to be a tough choice. Does he go to most exclusive Stanford which might have been his dream or go to UCLA and have a legit shot at a national title?

Exactly. This team needed a psychologist for various reasons.
That's not how you practice free throws. Shooting ten in a row is not a good way to practice free throws. You never shoot ten free throws in a row in a game.
Best way to practice free throws. Run a couple of wind sprints then go to the line and shoot 2 free throws. If you miss you run more.
This is a game situation. You get to the line in an game after having ran the floor and are out of breath.
you never shoot free throws in a game fresh or have the ability to shoot 10 in a row and get in a rythem.

Reactions: borochop
That's not how you practice free throws. Shooting ten in a row is not a good way to practice free throws. You never shoot ten free throws in a row in a game.
Best way to practice free throws. Run a couple of wind sprints then go to the line and shoot 2 free throws. If you miss you run more.
This is a game situation. You get to the line in an game after having ran the floor and are out of breath.
you never shoot free throws in a game fresh or have the ability to shoot 10 in a row and get in a rythem.
If it’s in your head, it doesn’t matter one bit how tired you are.

I think the FTs were mostly mental with him. I believe he became less aggressive in crunch time for fear of going to the line. Not saying
Mechanics didn’t play a part but physics are not going to help a psychological issue. I also believe that if he was 70% FT shooter, we would have seen a much more dominant player. Johnson is obviously very intelligent and could simply have been overthinking everything. I could see him putting pressure on himself and making it worse.
100%...if he knocks down 70%, he definitely looks for contact more and becomes a 12+ PPG option

No dog in this fight but regarding engineering grad schools UCLA is not the number 1 public university. It cannot hold a candle to Cal, Michigan or Illinois. He wants to go to grad school in CA and academics are the priority it’s Stanford, close second Cal and distant 3rd UCLA. UCLA not a slouch school but distant third
Good points, but all three California schools are stellar. He's already gotten into UCLA and Stanford, he'll probably hear back from Berkeley before he makes his final decision. This is great news for him.

Would think Its UCLA, ASST Darren Savino former RU Assistant prob sealed the deal. UCLA will return a lot, and Should be top ten good

He's going to have to improve his free throw shooting if he's going to see major minutes on a national championship contendor

ADVERTISEMENT