ADVERTISEMENT

Myles Johnson - Offense

JQRU91

Senior
Apr 6, 2013
What's Myles Johnson's ceiling this year on offense? Can he become a double-digit scorer? We don't have a consistent inside threat other than Omoruyi, and he does some of his scoring from outside now. When he's having a bad night, we're going to be lacking a dependable inside game.

Not a double digit scorer. He’s a 6 ppg guy at best this year.

We’re going to live or die with Geo, Gene, Thiam and whoever else can get hit on any given night, e.g. Harper, Kiss, etc

Reactions: Scangg
he is getting about 17-20 minutes and he is scoring just under 5 a game and rebounding about 6.5...not bad stats at all for his first 3 games...as he progresses, he really will eat up at any time that Doorson gets.

Johnson has a huge upside, but it won’t come overnight. Patience . . . . . .

Johnson, Carter, Doorson and Doucoure are going to face very skilled and athletic big men in the B1G....players like Ethan Happ had 30 and 13 vs Xavier the other night...we also have athletic bigs like Bruno Fernando at Maryland, traditional bigs that can do everything like Murphy at Minnesota...

Johnson will be OK because he has good awareness with the ball. He is the least of my concerns, 5 years of Johnson in this system and program is a very good thing....that redshirt last year looks like another longer term play that will payoff.

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Before the season started, some people were saying that Shaq Carter could be contributing 8-9 points a game, but that doesn't seem to be materializing. Rather than just doing it by committee, we could use somebody to step up as an inside threat this season. And Johnson may be our best hope for that. I know it's totally unfair to expect too much from a big playing in just his third collegiate game, but I'm just looking at what the team needs and who's most likely to provide it.

Johnson will be OK because he has good awareness with the ball. He is the least of my concerns, 5 years of Johnson in this system and program is a very good thing....that redshirt last year looks like another longer term play that will payoff.

Agree 100%!

Before the season started, some people were saying that Shaq Carter could be contributing 8-9 points a game, but that doesn't seem to be materializing. Rather than just doing it by committee, we could use somebody to step up as an inside threat this season. And Johnson may be our best hope for that. I know it's totally unfair to expect too much from a big playing in just his third collegiate game, but I'm just looking at what the team needs and who's most likely to provide it.

I was one of those...

Having said that Johnson is looking the part like a guy getting 6 as a frosh, 8 as a sophomore, and double digits as a junior and senior

I do not think asking Myles to get between 6-10 points a night is out of the question. He already can get 4 on offensive put backs or tips. I think he has a low post game with a drop step and I am surprised Coach did not try to establish him there the othe night. Plus if he is doubled, he is a great passer that will create a three point open shot or a dunk for his teammates. If he gave us another 6 points from designed sets that will also help our three point shooters get more space. Hope Coach makes it a point of emphasis

Myles looks way more comfortable out there then I would have imagined. He is less awkward than I expected. He could be a 10 and 10 guy by the time he’s a junior...

Reactions: zebnatto
Teams have decided to double Gene. Johnson will score at least two buckets a night off EO passes.

Teams have decided to double Gene. Johnson will score at least two buckets a night off EO passes.
Good point as I also think they will be working a couple of high lows per game.

Myles should have a very nice career on the Banks and has great upside with many intangibles that you can’t teach. First off he has a high basketball I Q which is evident by his passing skills and court awareness. Best of all he has the great footwork and also the God given gift of very quick feet and that will allow him to easily become a consistent double digit scorer in future years as he matures, gains more game experience and continues to be coached up.

Last edited:
I like EO inside when teams are smaller.

If they are bigger, him floating around the 3pt mark is fine as he pulls the defender with him.

The team is not going to shoot well enough to not have his inside presence and rebounding. Too much floating on the outside takes the physical aspect out of the game, which Omoyuri is critical to establishing.

Reactions: Newbrunfus
ADVERTISEMENT